It's time for a new CSR

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: It's time for a new CSR
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #0
Let's face it...the Lyceum is ruined. Posts are deleted, it looks ugly, and no one can maintain it. There isn't much interest or activity there anyway. We need a new rating site for BoE/BoA scenarios. Any ideas on how to do this?

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

My Movies

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #1
I don't see why ratings can't be done on these very boards. It might allow for some uncritical people to offer ratings, but it's at one secure location.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #2
I like the idea of doing them here too, but I don't know that Jeff will allow it, with his own rating system. My other idea was Shadow Vale, but that will probably go down in 5-6 years, maybe less. Another benefit of doing them here would be we could have 5+ moderators to adjust scores.

[ Wednesday, February 27, 2008 17:48: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

My Movies

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
Actually, I'm a little against having the CSR here. UBB already shows instability and post-eating tendencies as it is; the extra load that the CSR would place on it would likely result in something just as unstable as EZ-yuku-whatever-it's-called-now. Additionally, only four moderators can moderate a single forum.

I think Shadow Vale is a good idea though. It already is a hub for many BoA designers, which means that it already has a share of the target demographic. Assuming Tyranicus doesn't mind, of course.

Another option could be to have it on a single site (like, say, yours) and have the reviews e-mailed in.

[ Wednesday, February 27, 2008 18:15: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
Forum or the Blades Forge. The former is basically limited to Spidweb and SV, and arguments could be made for both. There IS something to be said for having the CSR right here on spidweb where it's so accessible to everybody, but then I'm in no position to even say whether or not we'd even be permitted to do it. If it were on SV it would have the advantage of not being on UBB, and being completely community controlled.

The Blades Forge would be optimal, and I know Aran has plans to include reviews, but only he can say when that's going to be ready.

I smell a blades chat; it's about time we had one anyhow.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

The Blades Forge would be optimal, and I know Aran has plans to include reviews, but only he can say when that's going to be ready.

I smell a blades chat; it's about time we had one anyhow.

I really hope Aran can do it. He has da skillz.

A blades chat would be cool, but only if scheduled when I'm available.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
It has been mentioned aleady, but the Blades Forge was exactly the place where a new rating site could be established. He once upon a time even had a "reviews" button and I remember a long discussion, here at SW, about how to implement the rating system. So yes, Aran most defintely wants it to exist, but I think he said there were some problems...

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #7
I support the Blades Forge idea too. Heck, maybe when I'm less busy I'll even have time to play/review some scenarios.

I'd be for doing it at Shadow Vale too (again, Tyran's site, Tyran's choice), but most of what we've seen there lately is spambots anyway. I hate to say it, but it might not be around much longer either.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #8
I like the proposed Blades Forge system, with the different categorical ratings. I actually thought it was already working, but I guess not.

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
Another vote for the Forge. I also agree that we should have a blades chat again soon... I'll get on that.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #10
I'd prefer the Blades Forge too, but that's entirely up to Arancaytar at this point.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
I'll do it. It just won't be for a while, thanks to college stuff.

If you schedule the chat at a time that is practical for me (weekend or 2000 - 0600 GMT) I'd love to participate. I would like some ideas on how the rating system should work.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

I like the idea of doing them here too, but I don't know that Jeff will allow it, with his own rating system. My other idea was Shadow Vale, but that will probably go down in 5-6 years, maybe less. Another benefit of doing them here would be we could have 5+ moderators to adjust scores.
Umm, I'm not planning on taking my webspace down anytime soon. I use the same hosting space for my company's website. Why didn't anyone mention this to me while I was in the chat? I'm more than willing to set it up right now. Bain and TM do a good job with the current CSR, so I'll just create a public forum where only they can create topics. Bain, just let me know if you want to do this. It will take all of 5 minutes to set up.

[ Saturday, March 08, 2008 23:55: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #13
Let's do it, Tyran.

--------------------

Visit my realm!

My Movies

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #14
I think SV is a better option than the Lyceum, but my only reservation is that if the Forge will be ready soon, the effort of moving all those ratings over would be wasted. What will the role of the SV CSR be? Just an interim CSR, or are we going to move all the topics and completely relocate the Lyceum CSR? Is the Blades Forge the eventual destination for the CSR? And if it is, will it be a supplement to the SV CSR (Like Aran originally had intended it as a supplement to the Lyceum) or will it be a full replacement? How much effort would it even take to move all those rating threads?

These are some of the things I wanted to bring up at the chat, but clearly I missed it. If you already discussed it, sorry. Just send me a chat transcript (Do that anyway, actually.)

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #15
It is done. I have created CSR forums under both BoA and BoE

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #16
I don't see a forum for BoE.

EDIT: Now I do

[ Sunday, March 09, 2008 10:51: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------

Visit my realm!

My Movies

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
I'm not sure when the Forge review section will be finished, let alone function smoothly. Given that my schedule is still getting tighter, it could be as late as May or June.

I don't advocate waiting till then. Especially with ezboard being what it is, I wouldn't wait to move the data. To put it another way, moving from a sinking ship to a ship that has not yet been built isn't smart.

By all means, migrate the CSR to Shadow Vale. Perhaps the Forge could simply aggregate that instead, like it's doing for the Lyceum now. But what happens at the Forge can be decided later on when we have a stable review site and I have more time again. :)

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #18
The BoA CSR is up and running at http://forum.nethergate.net/index.php?showforum=31

Stop by and write some new reviews, or help us identify the old 'anonymous' reviews whose authors' identities were lost during the yuku switch.

We still have a ways to go for the BoE CSR, though. Anyone who is willing to help is welcome-- it's a pretty daunting task.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #19
Thank you folks over at SV. I even dropped a few reviews in.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #20
A benefit of moving CSR here (on the official boards) is that it would be more likely to attract new players to the community. If a person new to Spidweb comes to this site because of A5, he is more likely to click down to an unusually active BoA/BoE forum than to seek out a scenario rating site. Once a person does click on the forum, he might be attracted by sheer volume of scenarios. (Sure, the Spidweb tables are large, but it's one thing to seek out rating tables for custom scenarios for a game you've never seen, and another thing to just look at another section of the forum you are already visiting.)

More players seeing the ratings -> more players buying the games -> more scenario designers and higher likelihood that Jeff will make another similar game in the future.

[ Tuesday, March 11, 2008 15:48: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #21
We'd need a seperate board for that, something I'm sure would be hard to convince Jeff to do. Relevent or not, he's already got a space to review scenarios.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #22
This board is more stable than The Lyceum, but it does delete posts and threads when it gets too full. I think Shadow Vale is fine.

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
In terms of making people appreciate the sheer volume of scenarios, I've considered re-doing this forum's header in the style of the BoE forum. Think it would make any difference?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
I think that'd be a nice touch.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages