Poll Advantage

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Poll Advantage
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
The following would be in reference to your typical party, or most recent party if you choose.

Poll Information
This poll contains 7 question(s). 27 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=avsQfgKxbvBf"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=avsQfgKxbvBf"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #1
I'm not sure if my votes represent my typical party. I just went through and checked the ones I though made sense.

I usually try to have different traits on each character.

I generally prefer the less specialized character templates.

I never use the disadvantageous traits.
Warrior
Member # 7362
Profile Homepage #2
I aim for multi role personally, for example my current party leader is a warrior/archer/mage/priest.... Annoying to train but he did start out as an archer warrior.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #3
If I was going to do that, he would start out as a mage/priest, not an archer/warrior. :)

Just my 2¢.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #4
Strong back is the only way to go for any character other than a mage. With Strong back and a couple points in defense, any character can wear heavy armor which offsets any other bonus. It's also a plus for archers who have to carry around a ton of arrows.

The other traits aren't worth their cost, except for Divinely Touched, which is too much of a game breaker to be any fun.

As for negative traits, I like to use brittle bones for people who aren't in melee combat (big plus for mages) and sickness prone for everyone else.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #5
I only used a singleton in A3.
But I used Divinely touched, and it was great...mainly for the ability. That ability is what allowed me to do a lot of stuff.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.

Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

My scenario: Muffins n' Hell
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #6
As many poll responders seem to agree, I consider Fast on Feet vital for an archer. Between that and maintaining one's archer with a high dexterity it's possible to ensure that the archer virtually always acts first and can often fire more than one arrow. While arrows don't pack the punch of melee attacks, their ability to immediately target almost any enemy on the field of battle is not to be underestimated.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
This is how what my usual party is composed of:
Warrior - Slith, Sickness Prone
Archer - Nephil, Strong Back, Sickness Prone
Priest - Human, Natural Mage, Sluggish
Mage - Human, Natural Mage, Sluggish.

I've experimented the most with Archers. I've given him cursed at birth, but it results in too much damage. I've also given an archer fast on feet and nimble fingers. However, I find Strong Back most useful because I can carry a ton of bolts early on.

Sickness prone is useful because it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I always give a slith that trait.

A sluggish spellcaster isn't much of a setback. They don't need to move around much anyways, and I'm not usually in a rush for them to cast a spell before everyone else.

Archers should always be Nephil. They're 10% penalty is easily counteracted by the Sickness Prone trait. Additionally, Nephilim have a bonus to bows and a very useful +2 dexterity bonus from the beginning that increases over time. Because of their dexterity bonus, they also serve as great masters of tool use.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #8
I have to say, I'm honestly surprised that few people seem to use Completely Inept. From my play with Pariah, a human who uses the HLPM to have all five disadvantages, Completely Inept doesn't seem to be adversely impacting his performance at all, once he got past the very low levels. Which, well, he did almost instantly.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
Wow Imban, I haven't seen you around in eons.

-Now we need Alec to surface.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #10
Alec's been posting recently, actually.

I selected "I don't know" for every question, because it's been ages since I played it and I don't remember what I did.

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #11
Typically, I never use Disadvantages. I can always play another scenario to get that next level, so experience is never really an issue, unlike in the Avernum games proper.

Usually I go:

Slith, pure fighter, sometimes with Elite Warrior.
Nephil. archer/thief, with Nimble fingers.
Human, priest, Natural Mage (eventually I will dual-class this character into a mage).
Human, mage, Natural Mage (eventually I will dual-class this character into a priest).

That means that three of my characters level up together, and my Slith a little bit after.

[ Tuesday, January 22, 2008 06:44: Message edited by: Hey, Jude. ]

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - Come back to Camden, and I'll be good.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
That means that three of my characters level up together, and my Slith a little bit after.
The game seems to distribute experience unevenly amongst characters if there's any difference in xp penalty, is this true? I thought the penalty increased the necessary xp required to raise the level, not the xp gained.

[ Tuesday, January 22, 2008 18:33: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
It does, but higher-level characters gain less XP because the formula for determining XP gained is based on the level of the enemy you just killed compared to yours.

For comparison, Avatar needs 2000 XP/level, but gains XP from almost everything since he's "only" level 28. Pariah only needs 100 XP/level, but as a level-49 character, only monsters of level 25+ give him any experience whatsoever, and even then it takes boss-level monsters to actually give him large chunks of XP.

[ Tuesday, January 22, 2008 19:47: Message edited by: Imban ]
Apprentice
Member # 14522
Profile #14
really good poll. my opinion of natural mage is a must stays... it always comes in handy.

--------------------
Where there is light, there is Dark!

*Supporter for remake of Avernum 4 and 5 in Older Avernum graphics!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #15
Every character I've ever made with any Avernum game is custom.

Here's the party for serious plays:

Leader: Human, melee, priest spells, divinely touched
Second: Nephil, melee, bows, tool use, fast on feet and/or nimble fingers
Third: Slith, pole, thrown weapons, elite warrior
Fourth: Human, priest and mage spells, natural mage

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge