Iffy's contest idea

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Iffy's contest idea
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #0
I have an idea for a contest.
The contest would be making a movie-scenario.

It would be completely made up of cutscenes.
Someone could copy an existing movie, or make one of their own.

Oh, and the scenario would have to have a message poping every now and then asking whether you want to keep watching or not.

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Iffy= Infernal Flamming Muffin. The y is added to make a word.
lol teh stupd text spek is lik ubar dum lol
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
Presumably, the message that popped up would allow three answers: "Yes," "No," and whatever expletive TM would use in response...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #2
Do you know how long it'd take to make a decent, sizeable cutscene-scenario, Iffy? If not, then please go and make one before suggesting it as a contest idea.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - BoA Scenarios and poetry.

(And sadly, this was your life...)
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Imaginative, for sure. And it shows a level of technical proficiency that's encouraging to see in any designer. However, the fact that it rips off an existing movie sinks it, as well as the fact that you don't really play it.

I'll go rent an actual movie before I watch one in Blades, methinks. This is not what the community needs more of. 4.0

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
Well then, what I meant is making your own idea. It doesn't have to be very long...

But you guys are right, this is a terrible idea.

--------------------
I like this image
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #5
You could make it a Choose Your Own Adventure type of thing - ie just like Iffy said but every minute or so (at crucial points) it stops and you do something.

Still not a great idea, I guess... but better!
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #6
You make no sense. If you want to "Choose your own adventure", just look at the different scenarios.

--------------------
I like this image
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #7
You're completely missing the point, iffy, and it's way too late for me to explain. It'd be an awesome idea in theory-- but branching cutscenes are just..... yeah I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. It requires far more patience than I have; Dilecia's flashbacks were enough long cutscenes for a career methinks.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #8
And, after TV, I don't think I'll be doing any more prolonged cutscenes any time soon, either. In fact, rooms full of dragons and liches are on the menu from here on out. :D

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #9
I suggest something differant.

Why not make Diki's Stories into a BOA cutscene movie?

I would pay money for that.

--------------------
"I must admit, killing mortals is much easier then killing demons. If you remove a demon's head, all you end up with is something that tries to bite your ankles." -Valen
Noob: lol 1337 lol woot
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
Why would I do that, when I can just read them??

Besides, the closest I want to get to Dikiyoba's stories is Project Spidweb. And that isn't even based on them.

[ Sunday, October 28, 2007 05:55: Message edited by: Ballad ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Iffy:

If you want to "Choose your own adventure", just look at the different scenarios.
Wasn't that arcade game named Dragon's Lair?

[ Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:08: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
Vogel - "10% off on all of [our] products for the month of October. ... this discount applies to games, CDs, bundles, and even already discounted products."

Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Ballad:

Besides, the closest I want to get to Dikiyoba's stories is Project Spidweb. And that isn't even based on them.
Yeah, and that one went so well... :P

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #13
It's still in development! And once I figure out how to make the General Forum look, I'll finish it. :P

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Ballad:

Yeah, and that one went so well... :P

Well, yes. It was immensely successful, spawned several sequels and imitations (Space Ace, Braindead 13), and is still periodically re-released.

—Alorael, who doesn't think BoX is at all the right medium for that style of adventure. On the other hand, you could make a highly interactive movie with, say, regular bits of Blades exploration and talking and possibly combat interspersed with long cutscenes in which your choices are influenced by (and possibly only made available by) your actions when you're completely in control. The idea is still not worth the effort of execution, but it's interesting.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Cutscenes are about the most work-intensive things to script, and they have the lowest rate of return on said effort. First time through, you can only hold the player's approval if the dialogue is witty, the effects spectacular, the plot twists dramatic. After the first time, the player starts looking for a skip button.

Making an all-movie scenario is therefore vaguely similar to NaNoWriMo or the Iron Man challenges in some video games. It's absurdly tough, and no doubt invigorating and very good practice for the aspiring designer. But what comes out isn't that awesome or even (in video games) at all useful.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
I found out the hard way that no cutscenes should ever be longer than 1 minute (not counting dialog box reading time) or have more than 10 seconds of uninterrupted stuff without a dialog box to break it up.

This was a neat idea in BoE, because cutscenes were novel and technically challenging at the time, but it's not as great in BoA, because they're a normal part of the game.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I found out the hard way that no cutscenes should ever be longer than 1 minute (not counting dialog box reading time) or have more than 10 seconds of uninterrupted stuff without a dialog box to break it up.

This was a neat idea in BoE, because cutscenes were novel and technically challenging at the time, but it's not as great in BoA, because they're a normal part of the game.

Nah. You will always have at least one player if you try that again. I loved Bass and Exodus.

--------------------
"I must admit, killing mortals is much easier then killing demons. If you remove a demon's head, all you end up with is something that tries to bite your ankles." -Valen
Noob: lol 1337 lol woot
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #18
Even in BoE the best movie scenarios were dialog heavy with action and brief special effects mixed in. I can only think of one really awesome cutscene that was mostly action, and that was the grand finale of Tomorrow.

Oh and text bubbles blow. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anybody didn't already know.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #19
And we cannot create dialog boxes with pictures on the fly can we?

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
Text bubbles are good for little things. I like most of the handling of text bubbles in Exodus (major narrative shifts via text bubbles, rest of narration in dialog boxes). They were excessive in Bahs, though.

Text bubbles add a lot to cutscene time. That's the main problem with them.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
And I loved Bahssikava, but if I ever see iambic pentameter in those tiny text bubbles again (stretching on, and on, and on - frequently split up when the line was too long), I will break things. :P

[ Monday, October 29, 2007 15:28: Message edited by: Xian ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
BoA doesn't handle poetry well at all. I guess I should've done dialog boxes, but that requires stanzas of no more than six lines each, and the verse was basically continuous. I should've just forced it into stanzas, but at the time, I couldn't bring myself to kill my darlings enough.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #23
Back to the original point, why would this be a bad idea for a contest? Yes, I know, cutscenes are cumbersome in either Blades game, but I don't see how it's any different than this.

EDIT: Punctuation;

--------------------
Barnum predicted that most psychoanalysts would have a hard time making living when he said,"There's a sucker born every minute and two to take him." One sucker isn't really enough to support two psychoanalysts.
- John McCarthy

[ Wednesday, October 31, 2007 09:17: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #24
How are the two ideas at all similar? Cutscenes are hard to do just because they take a lot of work, not because the coding is hard. Half the work is just setting up timing and boring yourself to death moving NPCs and whatnot. Ultimately it's just telling a story, but it's a lot more work than a regular scenario and isn't even novel (Like movie scenarios were in BoE)

Granted the Worst Tool idea isn't going to yield a great scenario or story, but that's not the point. The coding would be hard, but it would require being clever and bending the engine as far as it can go, not just repetitiveness.

--------------------