Stuck in Exodus

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Stuck in Exodus
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #0
OK, Kel. You've got me stumped. Where is this alleged brass key in the Barbarian Fort at the Pennunsula? I've gone into every room you can without the key and searched every searchable thing for it. The walkthrough says to kill the sliths in the guard room which I'm guessing is the room with the windows but I can't go into the guard room without the brass key.

I suppose I could have tried move mountains but it's getting late and I needed to stop anyway.

Please and thank you for your timely answer.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Jewel:

Pennunsula
You, madam, are drunk. :P

This is a slight omission in the walkthrough. You don't need the brass key in order to get into that room. You need the copper key in order to get into that room, which you can find in the prison in the southwest behind the magically locked door.

Oops. I didn't mean to have that door be magically locked, I think. Cast Unlock Doors on it, and it should open. But I'll fix the walkthrough and change the door for v1.0.1, due out sometime in my lifetime.

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 20:34: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
To get into the guard room, you need a copper key granted to you by Ithik in the peninsula camp. The brass key is on one of the barbarians.

EDIT: Kelandon beat me to it. However, I didn't think you got the copper key in the fort.

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 20:35: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

However, I didn't think you got the copper key in the fort.
You do. You get it by freeing Britha.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
While you're making 1.0.1, you might want to fix a few other bugs:

(Minor spoilers follow)

* run_town_script apparently can't be called from the SEARCH_STATE of a terrain script. Keep this in mind when putting spellbooks in boxes -- it means that searching the box won't give a message about the spellbook, although attempting to walk into the box will. Notable instances include the altar fight where you learn Bonechill and the box in Nakhtha that teaches you Major Haste. The least ugly solution is probably to have a 3x3 special rectangle surrounding each such box.

* If you kill the barbarian archmage before getting the quest from Khalthanas to do so, you can't get his reward.

* In Manikoss, you can only open one of the impenetrably-locked doors from the inside (the one you get to from the eastern half of Under Manikoss). With the other, you're forced to run all the way back through the underground area. Even if this is intentional, you'd better pretend it's a bug for your own safety.

* The BoA engine does not handle paralysis-by-script gracefully (for example, in the fight with Dalaganth's Haakai Lord lieutenant); if the entire party gets paralysed while already in combat mode, the PCs don't lose their turns but the game becomes unresponsive to player input. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 21:20: Message edited by: Alchemy ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Alchemy:

* run_town_script apparently can't be called from the SEARCH_STATE of a terrain script.
This, I think, is not true. If it were, the basic specobj script would not work. I don't know what it is that you're seeing, though. When I checked those spots, they worked for me, so they do work sometimes.

quote:
* If you kill the barbarian archmage before getting the quest from Khalthanas to do so, you can't get his reward.
Damn it, damn it, damn it, is this still not right? This is a simple enough quest, and it's been screwed up from the beginning. Okay, I'll see what I can do.

quote:
* In Manikoss, you can only open one of the impenetrably-locked doors from the inside (the one you get to from the eastern half of Under Manikoss). With the other, you're forced to run all the way back through the underground area. Even if this is intentional, you'd better pretend it's a bug for your own safety.
Oops. Yes. Oversight.

quote:
* The BoA engine does not handle paralysis-by-script gracefully (for example, in the fight with Dalaganth's Haakai Lord lieutenant); if the entire party gets paralysed while already in combat mode, the PCs don't lose their turns but the game becomes unresponsive to player input. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
Webbing, too, but what am I supposed to do about this? I suppose that I could put something in the START_STATE that checks for party paralysis and then, er, what?

EDIT: By the way, if anyone has any other bug reports, e-mail or posting them here is the way to let me know.

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 21:30: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Originally by Kelandon:

quote:
Webbing, too, but what am I supposed to do about this? I suppose that I could put something in the START_STATE that checks for party paralysis and then, er, what?
Kill the party? I mean, they're paralyzed already and it's better to reload than to have to force-quit.

Dikiyoba got permanently paralyzed in that combat as well.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Kill the party! I like it. Unless there are any objections, this is my solution.

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 21:43: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:

* run_town_script apparently can't be called from the SEARCH_STATE of a terrain script.
This, I think, is not true. If it were, the basic specobj script would not work. I don't know what it is that you're seeing, though. When I checked those spots, they worked for me, so they do work sometimes.

If I look at either of said boxes, I don't get any message about the spellbook inside. If I walk into one of the boxes, I do. I haven't dissected the scripts enough to be sure exactly why it's happening, so you may be right that I've misdiagnosed the source of the problem.

quote:
quote:
Randomly de-paralyses one PC, I suppose. Or kills off the entire party. The latter is a reasonable implementation of what's likely to happen anyway; the former is more singleton-friendly. :P

Also, it'd have to be in the paralysis script itself; by the time the START_STATE of the next turn comes around, it's likely that the bug's already been triggered. (More accurately, since the bug's already been triggered, the START_STATE of the next turn never comes around.)

Oh, and while I think of it, the Orb of Flight probably shouldn't be sellable, given how, y'know, utterly vital it is. In fact, my inclination would have been to make a Flight special spell rather than an Orb of Flight item, but perhaps you were expecting some loony to try and run through Exodus with a no-magic party.

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 21:45: Message edited by: Alchemy ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
quote:

If I look at either of said boxes, I don't get any message about the spellbook inside. If I walk into one of the boxes, I do.
Strange. I'll take a look. I may not be able to fix this, though.

quote:
In fact, my inclination would have been to make a Flight special spell rather than an Orb of Flight item, but perhaps you were expecting some loony to try and run through Exodus with a no-magic party.
The thought did cross my mind. It probably is a good idea (and not much work) to turn it into a special spell, so I'll do that. It may just be a special spell that requires very little magical ability.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

quote:

Pennunsula
You, madam, are drunk. :P

Yess ssssireee. *hicup* Gotta give my mind some annessthetic fer playin that there scenario of yours. ;) I knew it was wrong but I didn't want to spend one minute getting it right.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

* run_town_script apparently can't be called from the SEARCH_STATE of a terrain script. Keep this in mind when putting spellbooks in boxes -- it means that searching the box won't give a message about the spellbook, although attempting to walk into the box will. Notable instances include the altar fight where you learn Bonechill and the box in Nakhtha that teaches you Major Haste. The least ugly solution is probably to have a 3x3 special rectangle surrounding each such box.
Before I stopped beta-ing, I noticed this too..I was searching the boxes where you told me to look, and getting nothing, and then I tumbled into the altar and got the spell.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
I thought it was a discrepancy in the walkthrough, not an actual glitch.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
It wouldn't be a discrepancy in the walkthrough if you get the spell when walking into the spot and not when searching.

I found the problem. It was a line in my modification of trap.txt. Easily fixed.

On another subject, I think I'm going to have insta-death for webbing over 20 and paralysis over 4. Anything less than that, and the party has a chance to recover. Thoughts?

[ Tuesday, December 12, 2006 14:24: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

On another subject, I think I'm going to have insta-death for webbing over 20 and paralysis over 4. Anything less than that, and the party has a chance to recover. Thoughts?
This wouldn't necessarily fix the bug, though. The problem is that if the entire party is paralysed during combat mode and some PCs have yet to act in that turn, the game gets stuck on a PC's turn. The PC can't take any action and nothing I press will end his turn. (In a related bug, if the entire party isn't paralysed, a PC can still take action in the turn in which he's paralysed, despite having the Paralysed status.)

I'm aware that these are not things you can fix so much as things you need to work around, but they still need worked around.

[ Tuesday, December 12, 2006 14:40: Message edited by: Immanuel Velikovsky ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
After some thought, I think I'll auto-kill for 20 levels of Webbed or more, but I'll leave the Paralysis alone, because the player can just reload.

I'll also:

* Slope the hills in the Berekh Hive and see if that makes it shorter. I want it to be a good 15 minutes, but not an hour.

* Give Kass the ability to cure a Dread Curse, just in case.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #16
I got caught with everyone paralyzed, too. But the PC I was stuck on had an unshackle crystal in stock and I was able to use it to free everyone. Did you try passing your turn? It seems like that should work to get you through the round. Even if only to be killed by your foes.

Edit: On the Berekh hive, I didn't really have a problem with it, which surprised me. I got through fine first time through. It might be good to include a strategy tip in the walkthrough for it though. My tip would be to cast Sanctuary on everyone and let the demons kill each other for the most part. There really wasn't much left for me to kill when they were done with each other. It did take a long time, but the slime pit took way longer.

Edit2: Don't you dare touch the Orb of Flight. It's a great artifact for godparties to see what they can brake in scenarios they've already played.

[ Tuesday, December 12, 2006 17:17: Message edited by: Jewel ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #17
The orb can't be taken to other scenarios, I believe, since it runs a state when used (I believe Kel himself was the one that suggested this become common practice to prevent just that.) That potion that gives flight is sufficient to break anything else you feel like.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
I might somehow try to shorten up the Slime Pit, too.

And yeah, god parties already can get flight from the HLPM, and it'll be slightly better in the next version.

--------------------

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #19
I don't think you need to implement instakill for webbing - to the best of my recollection, it can never result in any bugs, so just let the monsters kill the PCs if they're impossibly webbed.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
Sometimes this takes a very, very long time, though. I had complaints about it in beta, but I had no idea what to do about it.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

The orb can't be taken to other scenarios, I believe, since it runs a state when used (I believe Kel himself was the one that suggested this become common practice to prevent just that.) That potion that gives flight is sufficient to break anything else you feel like.
:( I haven't seen a flight potion yet. One of my favorite BoE special items is the flying carpet. It gives a whole lot of flying turns and can be taken anywhere.

quote:
Originally by Kel:
I might somehow try to shorten up the Slime Pit, too.
Well they are slimes and it's a rather mundane task... how about lowering their level enough that they only take one hit to kill and only hit you at 10-20hp. Then make them all reappear really fast. The slime king did say that they reproduce really fast and I found it [sarcasm]really dissapointing [/sarcasm]that they didn't come back. Make it impossible to kill them all but not impossible to hack your way through. You can leave the king and his minions uber powerful if you want there to be a good fight.

Just thinking out loud, anyway.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

I haven't seen a flight potion yet.
In the HLPM for god parties.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6511
Profile #23
This is completely unrelated to scripts and stuff, but I'm stuck. I have the crystal key, but I can't get into the Vahnatai Lab. I've talked to Kass in the Lava Ocean Camp repeatedly, and keep going back to the Lab. But all I keep getting is the 'strange indent in the wall' thing, and I can't get in.

Help, please?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #24
Did you rest first? Often times, you need to rest in your tent in the camp before you can get your next mission.

--------------------

Pages