BoA BUGS v6.0

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: BoA BUGS v6.0
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #25
If you inflict acid or poison damage with the damage_char call, it bypasses the corresponding resistances. In other words, if you hit a creature with 100 acid damage with the above call, the creature will take 100 damage regardless of the creatures acid resistance.

Also, there is a glitch with the call dist_to_char. If you use a variable for which_char, the whole script breaks down.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
From the Docs: Avoid the Edges
When outdoors, the game will have 4 outdoor sections in memory, and 4 scripts to choose from when the party meets encounters. To avoid any confusion on the game’s part, It is best to avoid placing towns, special encounter, or preset creature encounters on the edges of an outdoor section.
When the game tries to call a state in an outdoor script, it always uses the script for the section the party is currently standing in.

I guess its just a bad idea to put stuff on the edges.

I've had a similar problem to the one Kelandon had, but easily fixed it by moving the encounter a few squares away. As for towns, I've never had a problem even when I had a rectangle outside the town boundary.

[ Saturday, September 09, 2006 09:24: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

If you inflict acid or poison damage with the damage_char call, it bypasses the corresponding resistances. In other words, if you hit a creature with 100 acid damage with the above call, the creature will take 100 damage regardless of the creatures acid resistance.
I believe this occurs because acid and poison resistance reduces the severity of the acid and poison status effects at the time they're inflicted, rather than the actual damage those status effects do once you have them. It's still a questionable decision to have the resistances work that way, but there's method in the madness.

It also occurs to me that exploiting this oddity is a good way to do "unblockable" damage without it ignoring the 0-HP grace period like real unblockable damage does.

quote:
Also, there is a glitch with the call dist_to_char. If you use a variable for which_char, the whole script breaks down.
Really? That's surprising. Are you 100% sure the variable is defined and set to an appropriate value (i.e. the # of a character that's actually in the town at the time the script is run)?

[ Saturday, September 09, 2006 16:12: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #28
Yes, I'm sure. I ran this call dozens of times, with an error as the result to each. I also ran this once with a variable set specifically to 20, which was a living creature. It still returned an error.

Since the call DOES work with a function, one insane, yet simple work-around is to use the get_ran call in place of the variable like this:
dist_to_char(get_ran(1,x,x)); Where x equals the variable. This produces the same result as writing the variable itself. Without the error, of course. :D

Though it probably doesn't help that the script I'm using it in is failing to work. But that is a problem with the targeting system.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #29
Are you saying you are gettin an error from it, or that it just isn't working correctly (like it always returns 0 or something)? I can tell you for sure that if you're getting an error then the problem is on your end, I've used that call with a variable before (look at t3pillar1 in Dilecia if that will help you for some reason.)

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #30
What was the text of the error? In cases like this it is actually unusually enlightening as to what is going wrong.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
Hmm. Nioca, does using the same variable name in other calls work properly? It's possible that the problem stems from using a reserved variable name -- unfortunately, BoA has quite a few reserved variable names that don't work properly if you use them as variables in a script, and most of them are undocumented.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #32
It's an error, which comes out, to the best extent of my memory, like this:
(problemscript) error: function call error (unary) in line xxx.

That being said, the pillars gave me these errors like crazy when I played it. What type of operating system are you using, and what version? Because it may be specific to Windows, or even a certain version of Windows. (Like my XP Pro.)

EDIT: Talk about poor timing. The variable I was using was 'protector', which worked in two other calls within the same script.

[ Saturday, September 09, 2006 18:46: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

That being said, the pillars gave me these errors like crazy when I played it. What type of operating system are you using, and what version? Because it may be specific to Windows, or even a certain version of Windows. (Like my XP Pro.)
I'm using Windows XP, but none of my beta testers or any other player reported an error to me. There was a problem with a bad message dialog that went overlooked because it is rarely shown, but its fixed in the new version. Anyway the call should work, you're the first person I've heard from that had this problem in Dilecia, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has used a variable in get_char_dist() before. You might want to get a newer version of BOA.

EDIT: One way (probably not the only) to get a Unary error is if you try to find the distance to a character that doesn't exist(like -1, or over 120). I'd make sure that the variable can never be set to a number like that, or add a char_ok() check. This still doesn't explain why it would work when you use get_ran(), nor does it explain why you had problems with Dilecia (I rechecked that pillar and its fine.)

[ Saturday, September 09, 2006 19:50: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #34
I'm running version 1.0.3, which I believe is the most up-to-date version. If a variable of any value is plugged into that call, the whole script breaks down. Since no one else has had trouble with it, it must be on my end...

EDIT: Typo. Apparently, I use variablees instead of variables.

[ Sunday, September 10, 2006 06:10: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #35
What is the error text?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #36
The most recent on I got looked like this (by the way, this is in the message bar below the gameplay area):
elitenpc error: function call error (unary) in line 322. Then the script shuts down.

EDIT: If you're interested in looking at the code, it can be found in the BoA Editor forum, under the topic 'Creature Script Targeting Trouble.'

EDIT 2: Wow, we're getting off topic. I almost forgot this is a place to report bugs. :)

[ Sunday, September 10, 2006 08:50: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #37
That usually means you are giving it a negative value. That seems highly awkward, actually, but that is what the error text means.

EDIT: I glanced through your script. Look at how protector can be -1 when it is fed to the function. Fix this and you'll be fine; there is no bug with the script engine for this call.

[ Sunday, September 10, 2006 12:35: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #38
Got it fixed. After re-installing BoA for the FOURTH time, it finally seems to have sorted itself out. Of course, only time will tell whether this problem is gone for good.

The reason I was sure it was a bug is that I've been battling this glitch for two months. I was also sure because three re-installs and several scripting variations had no effect.

My first assumption was that BoA was massively corrupted. While that seemed likely, I remember one morning when I woke up to find two of my towns were wrecked, past the point of repair.

That said, I am forced to come to the conclusion that my computer really hates me. :eek:

Well, at least I made one contribution to this thread...

EDIT: Again bad timing! Why am I cursed so? I do have to point out that I hit this problem in Delicia, with the attacking pillars. I checked that script, and there is no reason it should have given me trouble.

[ Sunday, September 10, 2006 12:41: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #39
Ampersands aren't outputted when placed in strings. For example, if I had a book containing the string "PAYROLLS & PAYCHECKS - ...", it would be outputted as "PAYROLLS _PAYCHECKS - ..." (I could be wrong about the number of spaces, but there was an underscore printed).

On an unrelated note (and probably not a bug), animated terrain is not animated when you have fast effects selected in the preference menu. Caught me off guard when I was testing some of my terrain (What? It's written exactly the same as in this scenario, and it works there... or not... hmmm...).

--------------------
Wi n0t trei a h0liday in Sweden thi yer?
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #40
Animation slows down the game, so that isn't a bug. The ampersand thing should not be a bug if I remember correctly. In a string, an underscore becomes a single quote and an amperand becomes an underscore. I don't know if there is an escape sequence to actually print an ampersand, though.

--------------------
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

In a string, an underscore becomes a single quote and an amperand becomes an underscore. I don't know if there is an escape sequence to actually print an ampersand, though.
An underscore actually becomes a double quote. As far as I know, the ampersand thing is undocumented.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

On an unrelated note (and probably not a bug), animated terrain is not animated when you have fast effects selected in the preference menu.
This is mentioned somewhere. Probably somewhere counterintuitive.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #43
Edit: I'm an idiot. Never ever leave set_ticks_forward calls in your scripts if you want to test things fairly.

[ Monday, September 25, 2006 05:08: Message edited by: Guy Fawkes xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #44
Discovered while beta testing Rats Aplenty. If you erase a character and then respawn it in the same state, you get an unhandled exception.

Also, I'd imagine it would be six ticks on horseback.

[ Sunday, September 24, 2006 13:22: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #45
That is more of an undocumented thing that BoA cannot do. Abnormal combinations of erasing, killing, spawning, and relocation (of dead NPCs) make the engine choke.

--------------------
====
====
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #46
Speaking of berekh hives, if you attempt to activate multiple hidden groups, only the first one will spawn.

Also, if you call a state in the town script from a creature or terrain script, and then use the call end() in the creature/terrain script, it will end both the creature/terrain state and the town state.

EDIT: Added humor.

EDIT 2: When you use the call print_big_str, the string comes out red.

[ Friday, September 29, 2006 14:06: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #47
On version 1.03 for windows the it_icon_adjust command does not always seam to work. I tried using it to tint a bar of metal yellow to simulate gold with the command

it_icon_adjust = 384;

On the Macintosh version the command seams to work fine though.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #48
I would like someone to verify these bugs for Mac and Windows.

Bug:
begindefineterrain 500;
clear;
te_name = "Test";
te_which_sheet = 600;
te_which_icon = 0;
te_ed_which_sheet = 680;
te_ed_which_icon = 0;
te_shimmers = 1;
begindefine terrain 501;
clear;
te_name = "Test";
te_which_sheet = 600;
te_which_icon = 0;
te_ed_which_sheet = 680;
te_ed_which_icon = 0;
Notice the one difference. No te_shimmers in #2. If you place both terrain and run the game, BOTH shimmer. Yet I used clear.

In 1.1 adjusting the height of a FLOOR would adjust the height of ALL graphics (floor, terrain, item, NPC, PC). In 1.1.1/1.1.2 it does everything except the floor. 1.1 is correct, 1.1.1/1.1.2 is not (according to docs).

edit:
Windows users please do this run this

I would like to know if it is like 1.1 or 1.1.1/1.1.2

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 21:31: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #49
Well sorry about the double post. I quoted instead of editing.

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 21:30: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.

Pages