Should color-edits be pulled from the Louvre?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Should color-edits be pulled from the Louvre?
BoE Posse
Member # 15
Profile Homepage #0
Some people in the community feel that color edits of original BoA graphics waste space on the Louvre, making it hard to find original art. A suggested compromise is to pull out all the color edits now in the Louvre and place them in a downloadable ZIP file. The new Louvre would then contain only original artwork. I would continue to accept color edits, but they would just be added to the ZIP archive.
This poll has been moved to another forum.

--------------------
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Visit the Louvre, the BoA Graphics Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boa/louvre/
Visit Alexandria, the BoE Scenario Database at http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/boe/alexandriajs/
Posts: 653 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #1
I for one prefer original creations. Color edits have their use, but aren't as intriguing as the fresh stuff. I think your zip compromise sounds like an excellent idea.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #2
Color-edits off.

Let my art reign.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
Take 'em off. While some actually look good, and look like new stuff, most turn out to be just the same thing. Innovation is key.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I think some judgement should be exercised. Some color edits are actually quite good, distinct from the original, and worth keeping individually in the Louvre. Most are just simple color replacements, and currently all of Daniel Ray's graphics make it hard to find the real new graphics.

—Alorael, who thinks the ZIP would be a good general rule. Special exceptions can be made for special cases, like when your first impresion is "Wow!" instead of "Yawn!"
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #5
Why not just have two seperate data-bases? Or simply flag the color-edits in the data-base?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
Shoot 'em. If I want a color edit, I can waste five seconds with Photoshop.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #7
Off.

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
Xerch'de/Rate.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
Either put them in a separate database, or in a zip file, or make it possible to eliminate them from the search, I'd say. Searching for all records (which is what I always do because it's easier to find stuff if you can see what is available), the database currently takes almost five minutes to load for me, and my connection is not exactly slow.

Some color edits take a lot of time to make, and may require additional editing apart from the click on "Edit/Change Color", but on the whole, they are just the same as another graphic in a different color. If I want to use an Erika graphic, but don't like the color, I can look up on the morphs instead of wasting time (frequently more than five seconds, maybe even up to half an hour if it's complicated to do, for example a face that has to be left alone and stuff) with a drawing program.

But I don't want to wait for a red, a black, a green, a yellow, a blue, a purple and an octarine Erika to load every time I search the base :P .

[ Wednesday, November 05, 2003 16:22: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #9
Yes, take the color edits out. One thing I would like to point out though is that as much as I dislike Daniel Ray's color edits, his Flame Vent and both Lightning Pillars are quite good and should be kept in the database.

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
Remove the color edits, but first define color edits strictly so there is little question as to what gets in and what does not get into the database.

I suggest defining a color edit as: Any graphic that contains little or no editing beyond simply shifting the colors of the original.

Therefore anything with discerable editing such as lightning on something and such would not be classified with a color edit. However, very slight modifications such as changing a few pixels would definitely not remove it from the category.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #11
Anyone can make color edits, maybe just give instructions on how to do it in photoshop. Waste'em all.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #12
For the silent minority who want the colored versions of graphics to remain... just request it when the time comes--that is if you (for some bizarre reason) aren't able to use basic FREE programs... like GIMP. Highly recommended.

Gimp Downloads

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

MSN: bleusoulilcercatore@hotmail.com
AIM: Byzantine Jones
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #13
I think they should all be put in a zipfile and if anyone want's it they can download it and fish through the many files themselves.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #14
Wait, so does this mean everything sent in must be 100% original work? Or can edited (more than just the colour) graphics be sent in?

--------------------
Ex-member-#2475.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #15
Edits themselves would still be valid. Just not ones that only shift the color.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3627
Profile #16
I reckon those poll results are decisive enough that colour edits suck and should be axed immediately. Yay!

--------------------
Destroy Order. Destroy Chaos. Let Chance create Change. Let Chance create Life.
We live as if the world was as it should be,
to show the world what it could be.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #17
I find that to be an excellent first post, sirs.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #18
I bet the ONE person who voted "no" on the poll is the ONE person who submits 50 color-shifted graphics.

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #19
You would lose that bet.
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #20
You didn't have to tell us it was you. :P

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #21
If blatent color edits were removed from the Louvre, I'd be far more inclined to submit to it. But I've complained enough about that in a previous post. Admitably a few are almost halfway decent, but that doesn't justify the current state of things. Dozens of color edits right in a row making up the majority (about 61% by my count) of the Louvre is senseless and makes for annoying loading time on even high end connections.

Axe'em I say.

---Your graphic maniac, Necris Omega

[ Friday, November 07, 2003 11:12: Message edited by: Necris Omega ]

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #22
What didn't I have to tell you was me? The person who voted to keep the color edits? It wasn't.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #23
He's not saying that it wasn't the same person because it was in fact him; he's saying that it wasn't the same person because he's the one who posts the color edits and he didn't vote to keep them.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #24
I think graphics must be altered enough to be able to put your own copyright on it. at least 30% of it has to be changed. If you change at least 30% of the graphic, it is then your own. Color-shifting is less than 30% because the shading and lighting are all still the same. Obviously, we can't stick to the percentage 30... but we all get the idea...

So a blue sheep wouldn't be acceptable, but a sheep with sun glasses and wings would be. :P

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

Pages