Betatesters for 3D Blades of Avernum Editor!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Betatesters for 3D Blades of Avernum Editor!
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #0
I am finally ready for the first release of my 3D Blades of Avernum Editor, version 0.8b1. Don't be scared off by the "beta" marking; I think I've removed most of the bugs.

Get it here. There is also a screenshot on that page.

I want feedback. Bug reports, of course. And especially, suggestions on one thing. In 2D, you can see terrain scripts, north/south/east/west town entrances, wandering monster creation points, damaging floor, etc. Currently, my 3D view does not display those. Should I keep it that way, or does anyone have suggestions on how to display those in a good way?

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Warrior
Member # 4631
Profile #1
Is this Mac only?
EDIT: Answered my own question, it is in fact for the Mac.

[ Wednesday, July 14, 2004 13:47: Message edited by: Dr. Doodoom ]

--------------------
"'I saw the duckling hatch and disappear.
Sadly I ask who may have taken it.'"
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Awesome! My only complaint is that you don't factor in "tints" made to graphics, but that's minor.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #3
This definately looks neat, and the use of having a more realistic graphical representation of the layout you are creating will be a great asset. :D

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.
Apprentice
Member # 4656
Profile #4
Oh, I simply must have this shiny new toy. Great job, Isaac! I love you. I also love the person who ports this, they just don't know it yet.

My love for Windows, on the other hand, is at an all-time low right now. And believe me, that's really saying something.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find myself a corner to sulk in for a while.

--------------------
I ain't no ******* son of a *****.
You better think about it, baby.
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #5
In a word: Schweeeeet!

Now someone just needs to port it to Windows.

*glances around*

Hey, don't look at me, guys. I only have four days of holiday left! I mean, c'mon! :P

Edit: By the way, if you want PC users to be able to download the source code, you may want to package it as a zip. Stuffit files can *theoretically* be unstuffed using free software on the PC, but in practice I ran into all sorts of problems the only time I ever tried. And I tried about ten different programs. :(

[ Wednesday, July 14, 2004 15:25: Message edited by: Crunchy Frog ]

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #6
*Sees 3d editor*
I LOVE YOU MAN! Now I can spend time to test on my scripts, not how everything graphical looks! Your beautiful man! :D :D
Jeff Vogal should offer you money! :D :D

EDIT: As for beta testing, I am having trouble with secret walls locations in the 3D mode. But still, very great work! Begone are the sweets of me having to make editor graphics specificaly for the editor for my custom terrains and objs...
The icons are kinda small in the window where you choose terrain or floors. I suggest lessening the amount of terrain and floors on the scrolling thing so you can increase their size.
Like I keep saying over and over again, great job!

EDIT 2: 3D Editing does not allow Setting Item atributes(charges and drawing shifts and the like) nor does it allow changing of creature atributes during 3D Mode. And as of the 2d wandering monster and script terrain icons, just use the icons from the 2d editor in the 3d mode. put them on the side of the terrain. So the scroll, B, Red Circle, Spawn locations, all those icons appear in a 3d way on terrain. Change the perspective of the icon(ex:Scroll for terrain script) so it looks like it is slanted.

[ Wednesday, July 14, 2004 16:10: Message edited by: GIFTSare2cute ]
Apprentice
Member # 4656
Profile #7
A question for Isaac or one of you other lucky Mac users: Can you switch back and forth between 2D/3D while running the editor, or is the 3D editor a separate app entirely?

Hasn't anyone ported this yet?! What's the hold up? ;)

--------------------
I ain't no ******* son of a *****.
You better think about it, baby.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by 20eyes:

A question for Isaac or one of you other lucky Mac users: Can you switch back and forth between 2D/3D while running the editor, or is the 3D editor a separate app entirely?

Hasn't anyone ported this yet?! What's the hold up? ;)

First, dont complain. Us mac users wait all the time for games because they come for PC first. Im STILL waiting for Age of Mythology: Titans for mac :eek:
Be patient.
Second, yes, you can switch between 2d, 3d in the editor.
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Sathoj:

Awesome! My only complaint is that you don't factor in "tints" made to graphics, but that's minor.
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to do that.

quote:
Originally written by Crunchy Frog:

In a word: Schweeeeet!

Now someone just needs to port it to Windows.

*glances around*

Hey, don't look at me, guys. I only have four days of holiday left! I mean, c'mon! :P

Edit: By the way, if you want PC users to be able to download the source code, you may want to package it as a zip. Stuffit files can *theoretically* be unstuffed using free software on the PC, but in practice I ran into all sorts of problems the only time I ever tried. And I tried about ten different programs. :(

OK, I'll make a zip version of the source available for PC. However, I wouldn't advise porting it yet, since it isn't quite finished. :P

quote:
Originally written by GIFTSare2cute:

As for beta testing, I am having trouble with secret walls locations in the 3D mode. But still, very great work! Begone are the sweets of me having to make editor graphics specificaly for the editor for my custom terrains and objs...
Be warned, the editor graphics are also used, scaled down, on the Automap in the game.
quote:
The icons are kinda small in the window where you choose terrain or floors. I suggest lessening the amount of terrain and floors on the scrolling thing so you can increase their size.
EDIT 2: So... you want to have to scroll a lot? Then again it wouldn't be so bad, it gives me a bit of visual overload trying to find the terrain I want among all those (tiny) images. I'll try making it at least not distorted (currently they're squished vertically), and then see how it looks.
quote:
EDIT 2: 3D Editing does not allow Setting Item atributes(charges and drawing shifts and the like) nor does it allow changing of creature atributes during 3D Mode. And as of the 2d wandering monster and script terrain icons, just use the icons from the 2d editor in the 3d mode. put them on the side of the terrain. So the scroll, B, Red Circle, Spawn locations, all those icons appear in a 3d way on terrain. Change the perspective of the icon(ex:Scroll for terrain script) so it looks like it is slanted.
I'll look into these things.

EDIT: Not being able to change item/creature attributes looks like a bug. However, I can't seem to reproduce any problems with secret walls. Can you give me more details? (or find out what you're doing wrong, so I don't have to fix it ;) )

[ Thursday, July 15, 2004 00:59: Message edited by: Isaac ]

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #10
EDIT: Not being able to change item/creature attributes looks like a bug. However, I can't seem to reproduce any problems with secret walls. Can you give me more details? (or find out what you're doing wrong, so I don't have to fix it ) --Issac

Sorry about secret walls. I forgot you said that terrain scripts and other small squares dont appear to indicate something on terrain in 3D mode. I meant that I couldn't see the SD in the secret walls on 3D mode. I forgot to edit that part out when I made EDIT 2 :o

quote:
EDIT 2: So... you want to have to scroll a lot? Then again it wouldn't be so bad, it gives me a bit of visual overload trying to find the terrain I want among all those (tiny) images. I'll try making it at least not distorted (currently they're squished vertically), and then see how it looks.

So... you want to have to scroll a lot?
As opposed to tiny icons, yes ;)
I have not noticed any vertical squish in the icons.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #11
It looks great, I'll wait for the windows version. :)

Can we switch between 2D/3D mode? If true, it would be very useful: we could preview our map's look in the editor. Plus, it would make easier to build elevations, etc.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #12
Excellent. The aesthetics were my first major gripe about the BoA editor (I've since moved on to other things), and now I can bear to look at the map editor.

One small gripe, however. Just from looking at Babysitting in the new editor, the dungeon entrance is obscured by the size of the trees. I appreciate that not much can be done about this (apart from rotating camera view - a major work), but it is annoying. It would be nice to switch between 2D and 3D, however nasty the 2D version is.
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Morgan:

Excellent. The aesthetics were my first major gripe about the BoA editor (I've since moved on to other things), and now I can bear to look at the map editor.

One small gripe, however. Just from looking at Babysitting in the new editor, the dungeon entrance is obscured by the size of the trees. I appreciate that not much can be done about this (apart from rotating camera view - a major work), but it is annoying. It would be nice to switch between 2D and 3D, however nasty the 2D version is.

There is a way to switch between 2D and 3D.

Also, I'd say this is half good. Pay attention to this. If you can't see it, neither can the player. When playing Babysitting, the dungeon entrance is a little hard to find because of the tall trees. If they're in the way (and you're actually creating a scenario, not just looking at one), take the problem tree out!

quote:
Originally written by GIFTSare2happy:

So... you want to have to scroll a lot?
As opposed to tiny icons, yes ;)
I have not noticed any vertical squish in the icons.
The 3D pictures are 46 pixels wide and 55 pixels tall. The way the small 3D pictures were displayed, they were 16 by 16. The picture has to be shrunk a little more vertically than horizontally to fit that. It is not very noticable, especially since they're so tiny.

I've changed the small 3D pictures' heights to be 19 pixels, a little bigger than before. I hope this helps... I don't have much of a problem with the tiny icons (which are tiny in 2D as well; do you have a problem with that too?). You can download the new version from the same place, which is now in my signature. (it also has a couple bugfixes)

[ Thursday, July 15, 2004 08:06: Message edited by: Isaac ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #14
The awesomeness of this application cannot be expressed using words.

Yeah.
It's that awesome.

BUT like the little whiner I am I want to suggest a few more features.

- If you could figure out the whole tints thing, it would be incredibly useful.

- A mode of the 3D editor where the central point is the point of view and all things out of line of sight are blacked out would be awesome. Cave of No Return, for example, has two sets of tree terrains for the forest: trees that block sight and ones that don't. I can't distinguish between the two, which made it very difficult to get it right (which I didn't do) so seeing what the line of sight would be like would be very useful.

I don't have any more recommendations for features, and you're welcome to not add any at all. I'd still use your editor.

One more thing: THANK YOU SO MUCH!

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
omfg I just soiled myself. You, sir, deserve a MEDAL.

I will play with this a great deal over the next few days, so any bugs I find I will send to you.

It would be lovely if you could get the various things that are not displayed (terrain scripts, etc) to display. I imagine a little box with 3-d versions of those graphics in the corner of the terrain that they're on, much like the 2-d version, but I have no idea how hard that would be to implement. If not, I'll just switch to 2-d. No big deal.

Seeing icon adjustment would be great, but this seems like it would be hard. Stating the obvious here, you could try asking Jeff about it, and if you show him this app he might pay attention, but then, he might not.

I may have just missed this, but is there a keyboard shortcut for switching between 2-d and 3-d? That'd be really nice, if it's not already there. Maybe TAB, if that's not already used for something.

And yeah, the toggling to see the line of sight thing would be really cool, too, if you could pull it off. I imagine you could hack together something out of the scenario script based on the different directions of sight that are blocked.

But even if you do nothing to this thing, I will use it regularly. Thank you!

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4511
Profile Homepage #16
Wow. This looks like quite an amazing piece of work, and certainly useful for checking how something would look in the game, and checking to make sure that everything that needs to be seen is seen.

BTW, if you want a good place to store images, check www.ripway.com

--------------------
Vercalos al'Corlin
The Wanderer
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Eldiran:

The awesomeness of this application cannot be expressed using words.

Yeah.
It's that awesome.

BUT like the little whiner I am I want to suggest a few more features.

- If you could figure out the whole tints thing, it would be incredibly useful.

- A mode of the 3D editor where the central point is the point of view and all things out of line of sight are blacked out would be awesome. Cave of No Return, for example, has two sets of tree terrains for the forest: trees that block sight and ones that don't. I can't distinguish between the two, which made it very difficult to get it right (which I didn't do) so seeing what the line of sight would be like would be very useful.

I don't have any more recommendations for features, and you're welcome to not add any at all. I'd still use your editor.

One more thing: THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Both of those things should be possible, but I'm not going to think about them any time soon. I'm tired of working on this. The only significant feature I'm likely to add soon is the "tiny rectangles", although if someone could tell me what functions to use for the tints in Carbon, I could implement that. Hmmm... Maybe I'll email Jeff to ask about that. He would know exactly what the parameters were, if any.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Vercalos:

Wow. This looks like quite an amazing piece of work, and certainly useful for checking how something would look in the game, and checking to make sure that everything that needs to be seen is seen.

BTW, if you want a good place to store images, check www.ripway.com

Not sure what they get out of it, but there's one thing I found that would make using that impossible for me:
quote:
Note: Accounts that are inactive for over 30 days will be removed. Please log in at least once a month to keep your account active.
There's no way I could reliably remember to do that forever.

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #19
Looks very cool.

Tinting is not done using system calls, but by bit by bit editing of the graphic data. It's a pain.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Just Call Me Kel:

It would be lovely if you could get the various things that are not displayed (terrain scripts, etc) to display. I imagine a little box with 3-d versions of those graphics in the corner of the terrain that they're on, much like the 2-d version, but I have no idea how hard that would be to implement. If not, I'll just switch to 2-d. No big deal.
I am going to implement that tomorrow.

quote:
Originally written by Just Call Me Kel:

I may have just missed this, but is there a keyboard shortcut for switching between 2-d and 3-d? That'd be really nice, if it's not already there. Maybe TAB, if that's not already used for something.
That reminds me, I was actually intending to implement that, with the exact same key, but I forgot about it. I'll do that too.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

Looks very cool.

Tinting is not done using system calls, but by bit by bit editing of the graphic data. It's a pain.

- Jeff Vogel

Hmmm... If you could post your tinting code, then, well, I'll probably implement it. If not, I doubt I will. After all, I don't even know how much each thing tints it, and I don't know how to do "bit by bit editing of the graphic data" (although I bet I could figure that part out).

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4533
Profile #22
I have to say Isaac, this is very damn impressive. The BoA community will be singing songs in your name till the ends of time.

I guess instead of my girlfriend kicking me off my PC, I'll be kicking her off her Mac so I can try out this amazing utility.
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #23
I have finished version 0.9b1, which includes the tiny rectangles in 3D, and Tab to switch between 2D and 3D, as well as some more bugfixes. Get it at the same place. Unless I get the tinting code or more bug reports soon, I will release this as version 1.0.

Jeff (or anybody else who would know), what should I do with it when it becomes version 1.0, to make it available to everyone?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #24
If you want to make it available to "everyone", find a PC and port it. :)

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.

Pages