Betatesters for 3D Blades of Avernum Editor!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Betatesters for 3D Blades of Avernum Editor!
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #100
Scroll & Crash Details:
If you scroll to another outdoor section you crash.

This happens on ANY scenario. I've tried it with all the scenarios released, plus 2 test scenarios I made (first was made with Vogel's, and the second with Issac's).

Upon opening the scenario, if you make NO changes, the editor only crashes once in a while. This happens with or without perspective mode active, and in 2D or 3D.

If you make ANY changes, the editor will almost ALWAYS crash.

I've not tried it in a scenario without custom graphics.

I've never had the editor crash when I manually move (i.e. Pick X and Y) to another section. This occurs when I scroll to another section in ANY direction.

If I've made a change, the menu asking to Save, Open, or Canel pops up. Click, and crash. Any option does the job. If I've saved already, then the editor crashes less frequently.

EDIT:
No more crashes! Yay! New bug however. If I have a terrain/floor/item/whatever selected when I scroll, the whatever I placed in the same spot as the SAVE/CANEL/OPEN button. I click, and BAM, new whatever.

[ Sunday, September 19, 2004 20:19: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #101
quote:
Originally written by Dahak:

No more crashes! Yay! New bug however. If I have a terrain/floor/item/whatever selected when I scroll, the whatever I placed in the same spot as the SAVE/CANEL/OPEN button. I click, and BAM, new whatever.
Do you know what was causing the crashes, or did they just stop?

Can you explain yourself more on the new bug? I can't understand it. At least, I tried something that might match your description, and nothing happened wrong.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #102
quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:

I've announced it in the site. Btw, I would also like to know if there is a PC version in progress. Anyone (*cough*Mortimer*cough*)?
I can start looking over it next week when I can get a new computer that I can install my copy of C++ on. Alright? alright! stop baggering me! :P

At anyrate, if Isaac is releasing a new beta I might as well wait to get the source code for that.

[ Monday, September 20, 2004 14:40: Message edited by: Mortimer ]

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Warrior
Member # 3082
Profile #103
All I have to say is, this looks amazing. Add yet another argument to the list of reasons to get a Mac instead of a PC. I just hope Mortimer can port this. I don't have the knowledge or experience. I would love this idea even if it was just editing terrain in 3D.

[ Monday, September 20, 2004 16:00: Message edited by: Dark Elf ]
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #104
quote:
Originally written by Isaac:

quote:

Do you know what was causing the crashes, or did they just stop?

Can you explain yourself more on the new bug? I can't understand it. At least, I tried something that might match your description, and nothing happened wrong.

New Version = No Crashes

I know the description is bad, but the editor acts like I'm clicking several times after just 1 short click on the SAVE/CANCEL/OPEN buttons for scrolling. Not my mouse by the by. I tried a different mouse also. Also, it always asks "Do you wish to Save/Cancel/Open" after I make a single change. I choose save, make NO changes in the next section, and it ALWAYS asks after that point.

I guess you could say the editor is taking my clicking on the SAVE/CANEL/OPEN buttons as an edit to the floors/terrain also.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #105
quote:

New Version = No Crashes
Very odd, I didn't think I changed anything related to that. Oh well, at least it's gone.

quote:

I know the description is bad, but the editor acts like I'm clicking several times after just 1 short click on the SAVE/CANCEL/OPEN buttons for scrolling. Not my mouse by the by. I tried a different mouse also. Also, it always asks "Do you wish to Save/Cancel/Open" after I make a single change. I choose save, make NO changes in the next section, and it ALWAYS asks after that point.

I guess you could say the editor is taking my clicking on the SAVE/CANEL/OPEN buttons as an edit to the floors/terrain also.

That doesn't happen to me. I wonder if you could possibly have any kind of weird system preferences or anything? Or weird hardware (I know you switched the mouse)? Or weird reflexes - you just automatically click twice? Or is it some strange bug that will be gone next time?

@Mortimer: I have a few final touches to make and apparently another problem of Dahak's to try to solve; I hope I'll be able to release 1.0 soon, which should be ready for porting (that is, it shouldn't change after that).

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #106
Drop the "No Crashes" part. It crashes. It crashes EVERYTIME I click on Open in the Open/Save/Cancel dialog outdoors while scrolling. I don't have any problems if I try to Load a new section without saving. If I save, no dialog, and thus no problems. I've also had the game crash when I click outside the current section (i.e. In the next section).

[ Tuesday, September 21, 2004 14:10: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #107
quote:

Drop the "No Crashes" part. It crashes. It crashes EVERYTIME I click on Open in the Open/Save/Cancel dialog outdoors while scrolling. I don't have any problems if I try to Load a new section without saving. If I save, no dialog, and thus no problems. I've also had the game crash when I click outside the current section (i.e. In the next section).
I don't know what to say. You seem to be the only one having all these problems.

And you say it's still quitting without bringing up anything saying anything was going wrong? (have you upgraded to 10.3 yet? that would make things simpler; I don't know so much about exactly how 10.2 works.)

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #108
I have some questions for the users of this. (Don't forget you're still beta-testers!)

Have you been inconvenienced by the multiple steps needed to get between 3D editing and zoomed-out mode? Do you even use zoomed out mode? Do you ever use normal 2D editing? How often? Have the TAB and OPTION-TAB keyboard shortcuts been useful? Do you use OPTION-TAB more than the other, so perhaps the keys to use them should be swapped?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #109
quote:
Originally written by Isaac:
Have you been inconvenienced by the multiple steps needed to get between 3D editing and zoomed-out mode? Not really.

Do you even use zoomed out mode? Yes, quite often. I paint most initial terrain in zoomed out mode.

Do you ever use normal 2D editing? How often? Generally for placing walls and that's about it.

Have the TAB and OPTION-TAB keyboard shortcuts been useful? Yes.

Do you use OPTION-TAB more than the other, so perhaps the keys to use them should be swapped? No, not really.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #110
Like Keladon said. Ditto.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #111
Thank you for your prompt responses.

Version 0.12b2 is available. It slightly changes the colors of monster borders in 3D. In particular, the hidden-monster colors are different, and it is now possible to distinguish Hostile A and B. I also added another feature, after someone mentioned something they wanted to do in the editor on the forum, and I realized I wanted the same thing. Option-clicking on a space now centers on that space, and if you're zoomed out, it zooms in to that place.

I also made it much easier for Mac developers (such as myself!) to test it while programming.

[ Saturday, October 09, 2004 04:07: Message edited by: Isaac ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #112
If I place any terrain or floor, the same is also placed (but not removed) 11 squares westward.

Latest version

I have no problem with heights.

Also, I move from section to section by scrolling, it asks if I want to save (with occasional crash :confused: ). I choose save. If I Nothing in the next section, but move onto another section, it will continue to ask "Do you want to SAVE/CANCEL/OPEN" until I actually save via menu or command-s

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #113
quote:
If I place any terrain or floor, the same is also placed (but not removed) 11 squares westward.
I have the same problem. I would've responded sooner, but I haven't really been able to touch my scenario for some time. But yes, this bug shows up consistently.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #114
quote:

Latest version

I have no problem with heights.

Also, I move from section to section by scrolling, it asks if I want to save (with occasional crash :confused: ). I choose save. If I Nothing in the next section, but move onto another section, it will continue to ask "Do you want to SAVE/CANCEL/OPEN" until I actually save via menu or command-s

I'm sorry, I have tried as hard as I can to figure out what's wrong. I can't reproduce any of your problems, and I have looked in the code and can't find anything suspicious. No one else seems to be having these problems. Do you know of anything unusual about your computer? That is all I can think of to ask; I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what could cause any of the problems you have mentioned. I suppose you could be lying or insane, or something like that, but that seems highly unlikely.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #115
Okay, more detailed report. Any floor or terrain (but not height adjustment) I place in 3D mode erratically gets placed both where I clicked and approximately six squares west and one square up from where I clicked. This location is not completely consistent, though.

This seems to happen with any scenario that I open. I made a new scen with the 3D editor and it still happens.

I am using Mac OS 10.2, 3D Editor v0.12b2. It seems to happen at any resolution or number of colors.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #116
I was curious, so I tried this in 2D mode, and I find that the extra terrain is drawn according to my brush size. A 3x3 will create a duplicate 3x3 usually in some position north or northwest.

I'm running OS 10.2.8 with the latest version.

I never had any major problems with the 3D editor before you released the beta with scrolling between outdoor section.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #117
Ah, yes. I forgot to mention that it happens (weirdly) in 2D mode, too. I saw the location of the unwanted terrain be two squares northwest, but I didn't play around with it to see if it would change at all.

I'm just going back to 0.12b1, and it seems to be fine.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5046
Profile #118
i downloaded this thing for classic mac, but it said something about building it? i'm totally lost, what do i do with this thing?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #119
There is no 3D editor for OS 9 or earlier.

Notice that what you downloaded was the editor source, as in source code, as in the C code that still needs to be compiled in order to become a program. That C code, when compiled, would become the OS X program that you could download in the link above the one you clicked on. It only exists so that people can modify it and make their own custom editors. However, it does no good for you unless you know C code and own something that will compile C.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #120
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Ah, yes. I forgot to mention that it happens (weirdly) in 2D mode, too. I saw the location of the unwanted terrain be two squares northwest, but I didn't play around with it to see if it would change at all.

I'm just going back to 0.12b1, and it seems to be fine.

I had to switch back to 0.9b to get a version with no problems. If I could get version 0.9b + tinting, I would be happy.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5046
Profile #121
thanks for the clarification.

and i was so excited. oh well. another great reason to upgrade.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #122
I'm something of a C++ monkey myself, though from what I've seen of Jeff's code I want to cry (I hope Issac's is at least a wee bit cleaner). I'm going to take a crack at it. I make *NO* claims that I can do it, mind you, but I'll try.

Issac, I'd like to talk to you regarding a port (and, at the same time, pepper you with questions). E-mail works, I guess, but if you have AIM or something and don't mind chatting, PM me or e-mail me?
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #123
Oh dear. I've been doing other things.... I wish I knew what was wrong, but I don't. I can't reproduce anything. Jeff's code is pretty bad; I don't really want to do more with it. I have looked at much of the code and the changes and can't find anything suspicious. Someone else could try compiling it themself, although that shouldn't make a difference. I have even lost most of my interest in Blades of Avernum for now; Battle for Wesnoth has 'cured' my interest in RPGs, and, being somewhat of a perfectionist, I am more a fan of strategy (which can be improved on a scale) than nonlinear plot (which there is no perfect, or even optimal, solution to).

I feel I must leave the solution, if there is one, to another programmer who has experienced these problems. I have what I would consider a finished version, except that other people are having problems with it. If those problems were solved, I would be very happy to share the praise with him or her upon the release of a relatively bugless version, which could be justifably called 3D Editor 1.0 (Mac).

Ideally, the entire editor should be rewritten with more power, extendability, and portability, but that is obviously a major task. Also hindering that is a perhaps poorly-designed, closed-source game engine, with many arbitrary limits and idiosyncrasies. Blades of Avernum is a good game, whose creator has wisdom in business, but it could have been designed much better (using C as the basis for the scripting language's basic syntax was a bad idea, considering the kinds of problems people tend to have with it, but then, hindsight is always an advantage). I wish Jeff luck in his next "Blades" game; may it be as much better than BoA as BoA was better than BoE.

As for me, I shall likely look into these forums occasionally, as I am doing now, but, barring unlikely events, I shall remain aloof.

-- Isaac the Stumped Genius

P.S. Hope the new directions help!

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #124
That's a lot of links. You a Wikipedia editor or something?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages