Leaders of the Empire?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Leaders of the Empire?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #125
This topic took ages to read and the whole central section is of Arancaytar and Zharrad discussing graphics, which was franky boring. I'm just wondering if anyone can show me a map of the whole of Ermarian. It doesn't have to be detailed, just some vague outlines where all the continents are in relation to each other.
Just a coupla questions....
Where did the name "Ermarian" come from? Who made it up, cos it definitely wasn't in any of the main "canon" games as far as I know.Is Exile/Avernum part of Ermarian or does it count as a separate world? What about Vahnatai lands?Can someone make a similar timeline for Exile? (Has it been made?)Does Exile still exist at the time of AtG or Echoes? Has it become a completely Vahnatai (or similar) land?In TM's version of the world do the elves still exist in the North continent?Can potatoes really evolve into people? ;)edit: Isn't there a theory where the Vahnatai once covered the entire surface world and they created all the sentient species with their magic?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

[ Sunday, August 03, 2003 11:06: Message edited by: orangutans RULE ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #126
*sigh* Here:

Ermarian Human
Height: 4'-7'
Weight: 100-300 lbs
Eye Colors: Blue, Brown, Hazel, Green, Grey
Hair Colors: Blonde, Red, Black, Brown, and Grey (although through age, not natural)
Facial Features: N/A (Humans are the basic template from which comparisons are made.

Ermarian Sylvian
Height: 5'-7'
Weight: 100-300 lbs
Eye Colors: Red*, Blue, Green, Brown, Hazel (* Extremely rare. Also the eye colors of Baltimore I and Baltimore XXXVI.)
Hair Colors: Black, Blonde, Brown
Facial Features: Slightly hollow cheeks, varyingly pointed ears but never by more than 2 centimeters, sharper chin and nose (although weight can round out the face, as it did for many emperors including Baltimore XXXVI).

Ermarian Proto-Sylvian ("Elf")
Height: 6'-8'
Weight: 70-150 lbs* (*Based partially on the complete lack of any agriculture/civilization)
Eye Colors: Red, Black, Hazel, Green
Hair Colors: Blonde, Grey, Brown
Facial Features: Hollow cheeks, sharp figures that are nearly impossible to round out by weight (unlike Sylvians), pointed ears, frail figures.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #127
And when did the Vahnatai occupy the surface? I guess I know who we'd have to ask here: Drakey. :P Anyone know if he's still gone, or if yes, how long till he'll be back?

Orangutan (if I may call you that :D ), yes, the thread has gone off-topic after a while; you can skip over all of that map/site design/graphics discussion, it's irrelevant to this history. If you want to have the whole map of Ermarian (the only one currently existing is a little inaccurate, I've been told) you can get one here.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #128
Q:Where did the name "Ermarian" come from? Who made it up, cos it definitely wasn't in any of the main "canon" games as far as I know.
A: Ask an older member of the Arena.

Q: Is Exile/Avernum part of Ermarian or does it count as a separate world? What about Vahnatai lands?
A: As we found out in Exile 1, Exile and the surface are actually connected (it's one of the three "major" quests). And as we found out in Exile 2, there is a physical route to the Vahnatai lands. Therefore, we can safely assume that all of them are on the same planet.

Q:Can someone make a similar timeline for Exile? (Has it been made?)
A: Making a timeline for Exile would be pointless, because you'd only have one ruler (Micah).

Q: Does Exile still exist at the time of AtG or Echoes? Has it become a completely Vahnatai (or similar) land?
A: During Echoes? I don't really care, and Stareye's scenarios say that the Sliths hold alot of Exile, so I'll just go with that.

Q: In TM's version of the world do the elves still exist in the North continent?
A: Elves have been extinct completely for thousands and thousands of years. There are none left alive on Ermarian, period. Hell, magically reviving any of them would be difficult, considering how long they've been dead. But really, what's this "North continent" you're talking about?

Q: Isn't there a theory where the Vahnatai once covered the entire surface world and they created all the sentient species with their magic?
A: It's a theory I don't believe in, but I doubt it matters either way.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 17
Profile #129
Firstly, I suspect Drakefyre has given up on this topic as having gone crazily too far.

Secondly... What is the arena? Poeple keep referring to it, but i don't know what it is, or why it has so much influence amongst the BoE community.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #130
http://arena.desperance.net/board/index.php

The arena is a BoE-based RP with a difference. Take a look around; we'll be happy to answer all your questions.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #131
Karamea - Drakey is out of town.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #132
By the way, concerning the arena in relation to this topic: The arena is now seemingly several millenia in the future from the Avernum trilogy (6000 Years I think), and has developed a load of history that has never been developed in any scenarios, while the last scenario seems to be somewhere at 3000 IE. I'd say we break off the BoE/BoA related Ermarian history there, since what happens afterwards has nothing to do with the scenarios.

And, to paraphrase some of the people posting here: "It restricts the freedom of the designer too much if a load of history is included". :P

While I disagree as long as the history in question is already developed in scenarios (that should be a criterion IMHO), it definitely applies to the 6000 years of Arena History.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #133
I'd say the arena's more like 2000-3000 years in the future; the Empire still existed at the start of its continuity. Still, your point stands. :P

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #134
The last scenario with an intact Empire should take place in 1872. The last Echoes scenario takes place in 1889. I have yet to make it, though. :(

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #135
Does Doston (the huge continent, the second one), rise within this timespan, before 1872 IE? If so, when?

If you all could agree on the first Doston's size :P , could you make a map for it?

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #136
Doston exists from Ermarian's beginning. It sinks at 1884 drowning everyone on it, and starts rising again at 1889. It eventually rises to be higher than it was before it sank, making it Ermarian's biggest continent.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #137
So then, somebody got a map of the first Doston? I think there's one of the second Doston already.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #138
TM is a little off. Doston was actually part of Aixo before the fall of the Empire. Aixo used to be much larger and somewhat more mountainous. At some point during or after the fall of the Empire, the continent split in half.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #139
The declining Empire was part of the original arena (Lord Arkanor, anyone?). Part of what led to its downfall were the Centurion Avengers which sent Valorim and parts of Doston into unrest with organized competent rebellions.

I've looked over this topic and I will give more thoughts over the next week or so.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #140
Glad to see you're back, Drakey.

I don't feel like piecing... pieces of this topic together to get information, so I'm just gunna ask:

What do we know about these "Centurion Avengers"? What are they? Where'd they come from? Why did they come? Would they be a reasonable force for putting in scenarios?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #141
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

TM is a little off. Doston was actually part of Aixo before the fall of the Empire. Aixo used to be much larger and somewhat more mountainous. At some point during or after the fall of the Empire, the continent split in half.
Thuryl? Aizo is not spelled with an X. And yeah, Doston was its own island. Sorry. (I have a particular disdain for Arkanor's collapse of the Empire. I could write a more imaginative ending with less than .5k characters and 5 minutes.)

Drakey- Anything with two brain cells together should be taken for more worth than the "ingenious" plotlines of Lord Arkanor. Christ, how low do you think of me? Don't waste my time with this rubbish.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #142
Okay, as I take it, the history written by Lord Arkanor is part of the arena, and it's not well-liked.

Is there anything at all that should be taken into official history from the arena, not being part of scenarios? Custer raised a point here about 'non-canon' stuff messing the thing up. I'm not sure about Drakey's site, since Jeff more or less approved that one, but should the arena history also be included?

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #143
I think that the only things that should be taken as canon are the rulers from Sol I to Prazac, as there is an easy established history and accurate timeline there.

TM, don't snap at Thuryl. Just because other people have different ideas about the history that aren't as original and creative doesn't mean that they're inferior. And Aixo is now force of habit.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #144
I did refer to a few lines in between Sol and Prazac in Gallows, but oh well.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3250
Profile #145
:o , how do you guys get the info on the emporors/empresses, im surprised. Is most of that made up? ... im conbfused

--------------------
Adze-Haakai was killed by the GR81
5 Dragons were slain by the GR81
Krizsan was masacured cuz of me
I AM THE GR81!!
Apprentice
Member # 3250
Profile #146
:o , how do you guys get the info on the emporors/empresses, im surprised. Is most of that made up? ... im confused

--------------------
Adze-Haakai was killed by the GR81
5 Dragons were slain by the GR81
Krizsan was masacured cuz of me
I AM THE GR81!!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #147
Well, from one point of view, all of it is made up. :P

Some of the emperors are in the games by Spiderweb though - Prazac, Hawthorne I-III, and Stewart, some more maybe. (I think Sol is also in the spidweb games, but I'm not sure).

The rest is made up by the veterans here. It goes like this: I and some others ask questions, the veterans answer them, when we've got enough info we make a list. There's a version of the list online here: Encyclopedia / Emperor Reigns It's as simple as that. ;)

[ Monday, August 11, 2003 13:54: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #148
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

And when did the Vahnatai occupy the surface? I guess I know who we'd have to ask here: Drakey. :P Anyone know if he's still gone, or if yes, how long till he'll be back?

Orangutan (if I may call you that :D ), yes, the thread has gone off-topic after a while; you can skip over all of that map/site design/graphics discussion, it's irrelevant to this history. If you want to have the whole map of Ermarian (the only one currently existing is a little inaccurate, I've been told) you can get one here.

Those oceans seem to me to be a bit too large, just so you know.
Yes, call me that but it should have a crøss over the ø.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #149
Well, Ørangutan (haha, that was easy!), the map wasn't made by me, so I can't do anything about it. Also, the map appears to be highly inaccurate concerning the current non-arena timeline, from what I heard. That's why I'm constantly asking how it really looks, but nobody wants to tell me... :P

[ Saturday, August 16, 2003 09:03: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------

Pages