Leaders of the Empire?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Leaders of the Empire?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3190
Profile #75
I've come up with a first design for the updated Website for the Maps Project, What do you think.

Its not recommended viewing this site unless you have got Broadband+ (256K+)

Updated Website

--------------------
"Omnipresent, but always late"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #76
Cool design, and the loading time is okay too. But I notice that you've got the text for the maps at the bottom, and the maps to which they refer are not there. They're on the graphic-less site, but not on the new one.

Edit: It's a natural law of discussion boards that the last post on a page easily gets ignored. Only read it just now, TM. :P

If Doston is the setting of BoE scenarios, and existed before the cataclysm, it'll of course be included in the site. Hang on, I'm gonna start the map right now - Arti (the guy who made the Photoshop map tutorial) also gave me some tips for improvement after seeing my Vantanas map, and I guess I'll be a lot better with Doston. :)

[ Friday, July 25, 2003 12:31: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3190
Profile #77
Hmm, I'm still trying to find a copy of Photoshop. So between searching for one, and touching up my scanned in maps in other programs.

I'm working on the website. The text bit I forgot to delete and I'm seeing how I like different colours and getting some artwork for it.

Could you send the tips to me, I think I stuck my E-Mail on my profile or on the website somewhere.

Thanks for saying my maps are cool. Must do the same for yours as I think they are way better.

[ Friday, July 25, 2003 13:25: Message edited by: Zharrad ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #78
I'm going to mail you what he said - it would, btw, be helpful if you enabled private messages to be sent to you, but no matter, I can also send you an email. :)

Edit: You didn't put your address anywhere, Zharrad. But now that you've enabled PMs, no prob.

[ Friday, July 25, 2003 13:42: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3190
Profile #79
How do they work, I've never tried them yet.

Stupid Question, Just found out,

[ Friday, July 25, 2003 13:34: Message edited by: Zharrad ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #80
Doston existed before the First Cataclysm. Then, it suck underwater around 1884. It began rising out of the water at 1889, and completed rising around 1902. It kept on rising from 1902-1905, however, and gained quite a bit more landmass than it had before the continent.

Edit: Major problem with the Encyclopedia Brittanica. Baltimore I left plenty of descendants, including Sol I. Sorry.

[ Friday, July 25, 2003 17:11: Message edited by: Deacon ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #81
First, it's not the Britannica: That one exists already. It's the Ermariana.

Someone said earlier in this thread that Baltimore I. left no heir, sinking the Aizonian Empire in a long civil war which broke it apart eventually. Hundred years afterwards, Sol I. founded the Pralg(r)adian Empire. If Sol I. was a descendant of Baltimore I., then why didn't an earlier descendant inherit the throne after Baltimore's death, thereby preventing the collaps? :confused:

Please clear this up.

About the site; it's not as if most of that info is staying on there; the reigns are basically just a page where I can practice html tables for the time being. :P

So the Doston depicted on the map is the first Doston, which existed *all* the time throughout Ermarian history? Or is it the second one?

[ Friday, July 25, 2003 22:51: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #82
Second. The first Doston was barely a large island. The second Doston is the biggest continent on Ermarian.

In any case, by my theories, Baltimore's descendants were born on Pralgad - they were thus unable to do anything about the collapse of the Aizoan empire.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #83
Wait: So the Aizonian Empire never spanned to Pralgrad - I knew that already. The Pralgradian Empire took a long time to span to Aizo again - at least I guess so.

But how did Baltimore's line get to a continent so far away from his empire, probably during his reign, since his reign ended with his death? Were they exiled or something?

TM, when you said:
quote:
Doston existed well before the first cataclysm. There are scenarios that take place on Doston (I can name at least three) before the collapse of the Empire.

did you then mean the island of Doston? Which scenarios are those, so that I can glean a map of the pre-cataclysmic Doston from them?

Looking forward to understanding this, and putting it in writing. :)

[ Saturday, July 26, 2003 08:41: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #84
Doston was decent-sized before the First Cataclysm, and had a fair number of people. It was slightly larger than Australia or Exile. The scenarios that I'm thinking of are Echoes: Black Horse, Bandits and Bandits 2.

Baltimore was actually on Pralgrad when he was waging the war (he would have to be in order to actually lead the war- they didn't have phones at that time). He found a hot piece of Pralgradian ass. By the time the result of their perpendicular friction emerged from the alternate partner's hanky-panky hole, the Aizoan Empire was pretty much doomed, but Sol I. was born and took the helm of the Pralgadian Empire.

[ Saturday, July 26, 2003 08:56: Message edited by: Deacon ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #85
The scenario I'm testing is playing on Doston, and I didn't notice? That's embarrassing to say the least. :P I'll go replay it again right now, before I'm overridden by feelings of guilt.

Edit: How could I have noticed, seeing as it pretty much plays in one outdoor section only? :P

[ Saturday, July 26, 2003 09:22: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #86
All of my scenarios other than Echoes take place in one outdoors section. I never saw any reason for more.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #87
Yeah, well, that causes problems when you try to make a map. :P

And I really can't understand this about Baltimore's descendants, how did they get to Pralgad?

Zharrad, I've just remade part of my map following the tips, and I must say it's looking great already, though I have to start some major stuff anew - But it's good for practice anyway. You can find the new version at my site. :) BTW, you can check your private messages by clicking on your profile, I've sent you the one with the tips already.

[ Saturday, July 26, 2003 15:02: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #88
quote:
Originally written by Deacon:

Baltimore was actually on Pralgrad when he was waging the war (he would have to be in order to actually lead the war- they didn't have phones at that time).

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #89
Baltimore I is the Aizonic Emperor. At this point in time, Pralgrad is divided into many factions, much like Aizo was before Zion. When Baltimore arrives, he starts invading, but fails when Pralgrad is united by Sol I., his unwittingly illegitimate child. It's quite ironic.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #90
Whoops, I didn't see your edit TM - the one Imban quoted. :P

Concerning that piece of history - wonderful, I could make a real story outta that. See, you jut have to keep asking and you'll get a nice answer. :D

Btw, TM, that description was a bit too graphical. :P

What I understand was this:

Baltimore went to lead an invasion against Pralgrad, around 100 BP. With only his advisors and his steward - or whoever he left in charge - leading Aizo, the Empire showed signs of decline by 90-85 BP. Balty didn't notice, because first it couldn't be seen from the reports his advisor was sending him, and later because he was otherwise occupied by an affair with a local Pralgradian woman (btw, was that a love affair, or a rape, or whatever?). When his son (Sol I.) was born around 40BP, the Aizoan Empire was in its death throes; and it soon became obvious to Balty that he couldn't return there. So he just basically continued his invasion, until around 10-0, when his son had matured, who was quick to grasp his opportunity for leading an empire, and united the Pralgradians.

Is that more or less correct?

And how did Balty and Sol think of each other; was Sol I. still 'loyal' to his father, or did he adhere completely to the opposing side (the Pralgradians)?

[ Sunday, July 27, 2003 08:03: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #91
It was a Pralgradian woman. They were actually close friends from a great while ago, but the history books wouldn't say that. It wasn't rape, or anything.

Sol I. never knew much about Baltimore I. By the time he came to unite Pralgrad, Baltimore was dead. He didn't necesarilly dislike Aizo, although he defeated the anti-Pralgadian elements in it, and used his Baltimore-based lineage to take power in Aizo, effectively uniting the two empires.

[ Sunday, July 27, 2003 10:39: Message edited by: Martyrdom Person of Fear ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #92
Had Baltimore ever been to Pralgrad before, or did this woman ever live in Aizo, or did they only get to know each other after Baltimore had started his invasion to Pragrad?

And you said the son was illegitimate and the history book didn't mention his mother; was this just racial prejudice against Pralgradians - or did Baltimore have a wife already? :P

Okay, next guess:

Sol I. was born 50 BP, when the Aizoan Empire was already in its decline. Balty returned to Aizo a few years later, before Sol had time to grow up. (Why he didn't take his son and spouse back with him is another matter, which might be explained by him being already married). When the Aizoan Empire collapsed (maybe Balty was murdered in the process - perhaps he could even have been murdered by his wife and her friend upon coming home, sort of like Agamemnon :D ), Sol was growing up on Pralgrad, in his mother's care. Around 10 BP, he started to unite Pralgrad - I imagine him to have quite a quick mind politically - and by 1 IE, he was able to declare himself emperor over all of Pralgrad. Later, he had little trouble annexing Aizo, through the claim of Baltimore's heritage.

Does this look better? :)

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #93
Baltimore was not married. He just didn't like kids, and his Pralgadian wife did. She raised the kid, he left.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #94
For reference:

When did Baltimore travel to Pralgrad?

When was his son born?

When did Baltimore return to Aizo?

When did he die?

When did Sol learn of his heritage?

When did he start to unite Pralgrad (he would have started before he was able to declare himself emperor)?

When did he 're-annex' Aizo, and in what state did he find it- civil war, chaos, an usurper's reign, or what?

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3190
Profile #95
Hello everyone, I'm back and have got a new website design. What do you think. Arancaytar your gonna have to update your links to this site.

Crystal Encyclopedia

When you first visit this site it take while to load the graphics but depending on when you clear out your Temp. Internet Files it should be quicker other times.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #96
When did Baltimore travel to Pralgrad?

When was his son born?

When did Baltimore return to Aizo?
Never. (He was killed in battle there.)

When did he die?

When did Sol learn of his heritage?
Very early in his life.

When did he start to unite Pralgrad (he would have started before he was able to declare himself emperor)?

When did he 're-annex' Aizo, and in what state did he find it- civil war, chaos, an usurper's reign, or what?
He re-annexed it in year 3. It was in fair order, but a bit of chaos ensued when he dealt with anti-Pralgradian elements. The chaos settled quickly.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #97
Thanks, this should make for an accurate account in the history. Btw, one more question (well several actually :P ) - if Baltimore was killed in battle on Aizo - during his conquest I presume - then was his beloved on Aizo's instead of the Pralgradian side?

And how did the Aizoan empire collapse, if it was completely ordered when Sol came back - was the 'collapse' merely a short time - ie. 100 years :D - without a ruler? How did the empire survive this without sinking into civil war; was there a steward of some kind?

And these 65 years from the time Sol started to unite Pralgrad, to the time when he declared himself emperor over all of Pralgrad - was he a king conquering all the lands to unite them, was he a democratic politician getting all the other parts of Pralgrad through intrigue and other stuff, or did he just ask for it and everyone followed him and accepted his authority without question?

————————————

Zharrad, the site design looks nice, doesn't load too slow :P , but is there actually any page behind the front one, because the buttons don't do anything yet. ;)

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #98
He died in battle during his conquest, yes. His beloved was on the Pralgadian side. (Technically she was a Vantanasian native [aka Sylvian], but the history books wouldn't say that.)

Ya know how Rome was ruled by an Emperor during times of war and a council in times of peace? Think of Aizo as being the other way around. A group of nobles came together and made decisions on their own, eventually naming heirs as they died. Some assassinations and minor power struggles occured, but nothing that plunged Aizo proper into civil war.

Think Genghis Khan, except without the baby-murdering. Sol took over nearby cities with tremendous force, and from that point on, most if not all settlements in his way surrendered without a fight in return for moderate self-governance (hence the provincial status we see in At the Gallows), much like when the Persians took over Israel, except on a much larger scale.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #99
I would put the reconquest of Aizo much later than 3. The conquest of Pralgad was not done for some time. It was really accelerated by Sol III. Also, keep the lives of the Pralgad Emperors of fairly standard length; by that time the Emperors are becoming quite human due to the mixing of blood. By that time, all belief in the Aizonic Empire was mostly gone and the situation was one of tribalism and many separate nation-states. The conquest was done by Raven, a general of Sol III, and was met with great resistence. It took many decades of bloody combat before Aizo was conquered. During this time, Raven slaughtered many of the non-human races on Aizo and further efforts were done on Pralgad.

In Fission Point, I am going into the foundations of the early Aizonic Empire. Written by an Imperial historian:

"According to legend, over thousand years before the Empire on Pralgad, the immortal archwizard named Phrizoc appeared. His magical talents were unparalleled at the time and is said to be responsible for the creation of many the world's most powerful artifacts.

One such artifact is the so-called Amulet of Phrizoc or the Sylvian Amulet. It was worn by the Emperors of the Aizonic Empire, although historians have yet to confirm that fact. The amulet is said to transform the wearer over time, giving him or her incredible powers and longevity. These augments allowed the wearers to dominate over other normal humans and eventually led to a ruling class. Some believe that these transformations allowed the Emperors of the Aizonic Empire to live extraordinarily long lives and pass on the powers to their children. Of course, this is all speculation.

Sometime after the collapse of the Aizonic Empire, the Amulet of Phrizoc was lost. Although records document its existence, evidence of its true power remains a mystery. Although there are numerous stories of its path, none of them have ever been validated.

As for Phrizoc, his existence is even less documented. Many historians doubt of his existence at all. The legend says that opponents of the Aizonic Empire managed to track Phrizoc to an island far in the ocean. They managed to defeat the wizard, but he could not be destroyed. He was entombed with the strongest magics in his Citadel and abandoned. The location of the island was removed from all maps and was forgotten. Since then, Phrizoc's island has never been found and many doubt it ever existed at all.

Unfortunately, there is very little evidence for any of these stories. However, much of what we know about the Aizonic Empire has come from tales and legend which later have been validated, but only by a scrap of evidence. So perhaps these tales have a grain of truth in them..."

Like much of the Aizonic Empire, there is a great deal of speculation. However, Fission Point will provide a few answers.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages