Beta call for "Where the rivers meet"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Beta call for "Where the rivers meet"
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #25
For Ash:

quote:
email = aussie@1wayfm.com.au
testing experience = would fill a volume, both in BoE and BoA
testing interests = plot, dialogue, combat, balance
gender = male
testing platform = not sure, probably Windows

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #26
Thanks Salmon. If he indeed works with Windows, that's even better then. I tested it on my Mac OS 9.2.2 anyway, so...

Okay, Ash, you're in. I'll add you in a minute.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #27
I'm not getting anywhere with my own scenario. I might as well help someone else get theirs off the ground.

Email: tyranicus(at)gmail.com
Testing Experience: None, really, but I've got to start somewhere.
Things I'll be looking for: Spelling/Grammar problems, Plot holes, Unbalanced combat, General ugliness
OS: Whatever Windows platform you want. My notebook has a multiboot of Windows 98SE/2000 SP4/XP Pro SP2
Testing Center Username: Tyranicus

[ Monday, April 24, 2006 20:52: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #28
Beta testing is one of the most unselfish practices in the world of electronic gaming, as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't want to experience a potentially wonderful game while it was still buggy and unpolished. I'm something of a perfectionist and a notorious nitpicker of the English language, so copious typos and bugs can (and often do) ruin my enjoyment of a game.

So hats off to you, beta testers. I've never been one of you, but I couldn't live without your necessary sacrifice.

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Old Scratch:

So hats off to you, beta testers. I've never been one of you, but I couldn't live without your necessary sacrifice.
Playing a game before everyone else... a sacrifice... erm, yeah, sure. :P

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
Beta testing well is a lot of work. That's why few beta testers test well.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #31
I've found that quite often I get discouraged when I test something, because the reports I send are never even considered.

*cough* UV, Shipwrecked *cough*

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #32
By Ephesos:
quote:
I've found that quite often I get discouraged when I test something, because the reports I send are never even considered.

*cough* UV, Shipwrecked *cough*
Hence the sig? :)

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will not ignore the messenger that stumbles in exhausted and obviously agitated until my personal grooming or current entertainment is finished. It might actually be important.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #33
Tyranicus, if you can test in Windows 2000, I'd be very grateful. I added you.

EDIT: dintiradan: now that i have an other windows tester, do you still want to test, or do you changed your mind? Given the fatc that you'll only get the scenario until next week, and you said your tests will be done by then, would you still like to test? please? *blink* *blink*

EDIT2: Wow, I just saw that I have almost no mac testers. So, if any mac tester still wants to join, he is more than welcome. for all windows testers out there, sorry. The shop has closed.

[ Thursday, April 20, 2006 09:08: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #34
quote:

Beta testing is one of the most unselfish practices in the world of electronic gaming, as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't want to experience a potentially wonderful game while it was still buggy and unpolished. I'm something of a perfectionist and a notorious nitpicker of the English language, so copious typos and bugs can (and often do) ruin my enjoyment of a game.

Beta testing could be a game itself: How many ways can you break the program, do things author didn't anticipate, etc. It's a very different experience from playing the game normally, and you'll be unable to play normally after having gone so deeply into mechanics, seen the plot beforehand, etc. However, there are plenty of other games/scenarios to play normally, so that isn't a big problem.

[ Thursday, April 20, 2006 09:30: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Nikki xx:

quote:

Playing a game before everyone else... a sacrifice... erm, yeah, sure. :P

Well, personally, I'd prefer to wait a number of months after a game is beta tested and released, until version 1.0.2 or 1.1.0 or so, because then I know I'm getting a fairly polished product. Getting to play a game before everyone else is no treat (for me) if most of the wrinkles haven't been ironed out beforehand.

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #36
Beta testing is what Bill Gates did in his younger years. Apparently, he could break any program, no matter how many times the producers tried to fix it.

Yes, Thralni, I can still beta test. The uncertainty was due to whether or not I would have to do testing this week. Most of my exams are done now. One tomorrow, and one on Tuesday. So, yeah, I can test. Unless, of course, you don't want me to... :)

--------------------
If I ever talk to the hero on the phone, I will not taunt him. Instead I will say this his dogged perseverance has given me new insight on the futility of my evil ways and that if he leaves me alone for a few months of quiet contemplation I will likely return to the path of righteousness. (Heroes are incredibly gullible in this regard.)
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #37
quote:

Well, personally, I'd prefer to wait a number of months after a game is beta tested and released, until version 1.0.2 or 1.1.0 or so, because then I know I'm getting a fairly polished product. Getting to play a game before everyone else is no treat (for me) if most of the wrinkles haven't been ironed out beforehand.
Polished games are more enjoyable. However, I see it this way: If I test someone else's scenario for them and help to make it polished, then I will get plenty of beta-testers for my scenario. (presuming I ever actually finish it :rolleyes: )

Edit: I will be more than happy to test using Windows 2000, Thralni.

[ Monday, April 24, 2006 20:55: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

Polished games are more enjoyable. However, I see it this way: If I test someone else's scenario for them and help to make it polished, then I will get plenty of beta-testers for my scenario. (presuming I ever actually finish it :rolleyes: )
"I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine?"

Makes sense, but it seems like "plenty of beta-testers" would constitute about half of the current Blades of Avernum community, which I estimate to be quite small. Not that I think that reflects badly on the game, mind you -- after all, I still think Space Quest V is one of the best games ever, and I'm pretty much holding down the fort on my lonesome at this point.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #39
I sent out the Mac version of the scenario. expect the Windows version later today or tomorrow.

I sent out the Windows version of the scenario. Those graphics better work, or else...

Tyranicus: the email adress you gave me didn't work. can you give me perhaps an other email adress?

The rest of you: I hope you enjoy it, and I apologize for any stupid spelling mistakes. I have a feeling I didn't manage to iron them all out.

ITS VERY IMPORTANT YOU READ THE README! I also said this in the scenario itself, upon starting, but I thought I'd say it here too.

Have fun, and I'll get an email from you, or I will see you on the BoA TC forum.

Thanks

[ Saturday, April 22, 2006 22:47: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #40
Either something's wrong with the attachment, or Yahoo doesn't like me. In the actual e-mail, it says it's a .zip file, and when I'm done downloading it, it says it's a .zip file. But when I'm choosing where to save it, it says it's a .hqx file (presumably a Mac thing). When I tried to open it, I got a lovely Windows error message telling me the file was corrupt or invalid.

Does any other Windows user have this problem? If the problem's on my end, I'll PM you with an alternate (non-Yahoo) e-mail.

--------------------
Finally, to keep my subjects permanently locked in a mindless trance, I will provide each of them with free unlimited Internet access.

(End of Evil Overlord List #1. On to #2!)
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #41
Initial report sent.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #42
Dintiridan:
I had the same problem, though I don't know what's causing it.
I fixed it by manually changing the file extension after saving.
If Windows Explorer doesn't allow you to view file extensions, go into the menu:
Tools > Folder Options, and select the View tab. There's a checkbox within the options that says "Hide extensions for known file types". Deselect that, and the only thing you have to do to change the extension is rename the file.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin recently complained to me about the fact that I always disagree with him.
I don't think that he's right.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #43
When I tried saving the thing, I manually placed the .zip extension in the filename. I'll try what Lenar suggested anyway and see how that works. If not, I'll forward the message to my University e-mail.

Stand by...

EDIT: Still didn't work. I'll try downloading the file after I change my settings. I'll also forward it to my University account; never had any problems with .zip files on that one.

Stand by...

EDIT: Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!

Another thing I noticed: in my University account, it gives the attachment a .zip extension, but describes it as "application/mac-binhex40".

I'll put the files on a flash drive and try them on another computer. That's the last thing I can thing of.

@$#%&@*! stand by...

EDIT: ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Neither computer can open it, regardless of which account I get the attachment from. Thralni, are you sure you used WinZip to make the file?

--------------------
(Reads e-mail.)
Sweet! Some farmer in America needs me to hold 4.5 million dollars in my account for the next couple weeks!

[ Sunday, April 23, 2006 18:27: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #44
That's quite odd, Thralni. I know that the email I gave you is good. I use it all the time. Oh well, tyranicus(at)shadowvale.net should work. I presume that you know to replace (at) with @ right?

Edit: Nevermind. I got it from Lenar.

[ Monday, April 24, 2006 20:57: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #45
Dintiridan:
What I did was change the file extension after I downloaded it.
But for my actual download, I got the same thing that you did.

huzzah for boosting my post count.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin told me that before we ended up working together, he was referred to as the Killing Assassin.
Which is kinda odd, because he also once told me that before he went into deranged subterfuge, he worked in real estate.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #46
I tried both ways, Lenar. Neither worked. When it's sitting on my hard drive, it does have the .zip extension.

If some Windows user could e-mail a working copy of the file, I'd be much obliged. It's:

dintiradan(at)yahoo.ca

--------------------
I will not order my trusted lieutenant to kill the infant who is destined to overthrow me -- I'll do it myself.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #47
That's odd. I didn't use Winzip, but an alternate program, Stuffit expander, which cn also make zip files. I have often seen though, that changing the file extension works to correct the mistake. however, I'll try to zip it on my PC and send it to you again. i hope it will work then.

Tyran: yes I tried that. I tried that adress five times, and then i gave up.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #48
Thalni, would you believe I still had the same problem? I blame it on the Fluffy Turtles.

Anyway, Tyran e-mailed a .rar file, and that worked (granted, I had to download WinRar, but whatever works...). Thanks Tyran!

I'll see how much I can play today. Unless the scenario is really long, expect a beta report Tuesday evening.

--------------------
I will design all doomsday machines myself. If I must hire a mad scientist to assist me, I will make sure that he is sufficiently twisted to never regret his evil ways and seek to undo the damage he's caused.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #49
Sorry I made a rar instead of a zip, Dintiradan. I guess I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. :rolleyes: I use WinRAR for all my compressing and expanding because it can open and create both rar and zip files. Anyway, Thralni, I played a bit last night and will play more tonight. I'll have a beta report for you by Tuesday evening (EDT) as well.

[ Monday, April 24, 2006 20:59: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room

Pages