Boa scenario's: what stage are they in now?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Boa scenario's: what stage are they in now?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #50
My goal in Exodus with the combat has been to make it about as difficult as in Bahs but more varied. Only time (and the players) will tell if I've succeeded, though. The puzzles are probably easier (and fewer in number).

I've been influenced by many of the responses both to Bahs and to LP (the scenario that everyone forgets that I made).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #51
I haven't forgotten LP, but that's because I spent a month tormenting you with bad puns until you changed its title.

... I preferred the original, by the way.

Oh, and this topic has inspired me to do some more work on my scenario. People need to play a BoA scenario which is actually hard, so that they'll stop griping about Bahss and Canopy.

[ Monday, June 05, 2006 20:55: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #52
I prefer the original title, too. It would've been fine if it didn't cause visions of glam-metal as people were playing the scenario. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #53
You could have just, um, made it called Rape Rape Revolution?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #54
TM: You should have seen the subject line of the first beta report I sent. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #55
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

People need to play a BoA scenario which is actually hard, so that they'll stop griping about Bahss and Canopy.
Well my gripe was made in good humour, anyway. BoA players have been pretty spoiled with easy scenarios up till now, and the fact that most people have probably practised by playing A1-3, which aren't terribly challenging in terms of combat. Before I started reading these boards it never even occurred to me to try varying my party very much - playing with a singleton or non-magic party or whatever. So then plunging into one of Kel's or TM's scenarios is a bit of a shock, but very nice once I started being creative.

In other words, bring it on.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #56
I'm going to remind you folks: Bahssikava is not difficult.

(In fact, it's SO close to A1-3 in terms of combat that it's worth noting.)

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #57
Yay! It starts again.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #58
"Not being difficult" is not an insult. I've made plenty of easy scenarios myself.

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #59
Has anyone not named Andres Gonzales or Ross Yancey not made easy scenarios?
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #60
Umm... Thuryl.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #61
Hunted wasn't exceptionally hard. =P
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #62
Bull. :P

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #63
Well, writer's block kinda didn't leave so after I month I just kind of stopped. I've been using my time writing music instead.

I still kind of wish I could've kept on writing and hopefully eventually finished, but oh well.

[ Wednesday, June 07, 2006 04:27: Message edited by: Millicent, Dear Millicent ]

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
Xerch'de/Rate.
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #64
Due to A level exams recently I haven't been able to do much more on what is already an unambitious scenario, although I plan to resume design at some point.

I may have to make some major plot alterations and that involves rewriting the dialogue (if only the dialogue creator worked for windows!) which will take a while.

I might also scrap the outdoor section, beautiful though it is, in order to keep it plot focused.

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #65
quote:
Originally written by Pyrulen:

Due to A level exams recently I haven't been able to do much more...

I have to [rewrite some of] the dialogue (if only the dialogue creator worked for windows!)

Edited to reflect my situation.

I need to add some dialogue. And the noding for the end sequence. If somebody else was making the scenario, it could be finished in a day or two at most.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #66
quote:
Originally written by Keto-san:

Bull. :P
Alright, alright, I concede. Add Thuryl to that list too. =P
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #67
I'm happy to say that my laptop was returned from repairs, and I didn't lose my work on Embers after all. So it's still going, though I've completely lost track of a possible time for finishing.

And I'm also beginning to plan DoK2.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #68
I have already started making some scripts better anf more functional, and beta will hopefully continue in two or three weeks. By then I will be bored stiff and have enough time.

Beta has progressed over probably a quarter. I don't want to predict any release date.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #69
I am currently working on a very very small, straight forward, beginner scenario. The plot has been planned, the points have been set, the terrain has been crafted, and roles have been given. All that is left is the scripting (heh).

I do have an important question though. Most of the scenario takes place in one town, and although the story progresses, the town stays the same. I am given 200 dialogue nodes, and though I think that will be enough, every NPC's dialogue changes around a few times and I have about 5-6 major NPCs. If each NPC uses a different 10-20 dialogue nodes each time an important plot point is reached, how can I stay within the 200 node limit?
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #70
You can put different opinions in different strings and use remove_string to take out certain strings depending on an SDF's value. This is a definite node-saver.

[ Saturday, June 17, 2006 06:54: Message edited by: Shard of Fire ]

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #71
When you do that, be sure to test your dialogues very carefully, because it's very easy to get your SDFs mixed up and have everything (or nothing) display all at once.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #72
Or, if you really must, you can have different "versions" of the town when events occur.

Or you could just make each building its own town.

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #73
Well, not that anyone remembers, but I'm also still making my first scenario. I've actually worked on it some, believe it or not. I've got maybe half or so of the outdoors done, although they still need some prettying up in my opinion. That's about it, for now.

What's still to come: the other outdoor section, towns, people and everything else. It'll take me maybe a year or two to get it done.

It's going to be very easy and low level thing, and it'll focus more on story elements, rather than fighting, hopefully. There might even not be any combat, or if there is, it's going to be very simple hack'n'slash, though in lower quantity.

Also, it's tentatively named The Tax Theft at the time being. How's that all sound?

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #74
All of that sounds pretty good, except for the year or two to finish.

If all goes well, I'll be sending out a beta call later this week. If not, sometime next week seems likely.

--------------------

Pages