All-Nephilim Group

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: All-Nephilim Group
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #0
I'm going to embark on a trip through as many Blades scenarios with my all-Nephilim group. I hope giving ALL of them decent bow skill won't totally gimp other important skills (like Mage Spells levels, especially). Perhaps the bonus dexterity will keep my mage-philim alive for a bit longer! =)

--------------------
--Dachnaz
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1

Playing MA will be an amusing experience.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
I played Mad Ambition as a slith as the lead character, and didn't change the graphic. That was interesting...

Whatever other faults it has, Babysitting at least adjusts the sister's race according to the race of the lead character.

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #3
Well for playing human-only or human-oriented scenarios.... My nephilim will go under... DISGUISE!!! .> = {)}>

--------------------
--Dachnaz
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Whatever other faults it has, Babysitting at least adjusts the sister's race according to the race of the lead character.

The notion of a slithzerikai existing on the surface before the settlement of Valorim is absurd. The notion of a nephil surviving in Imperial captivity is even worse.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
True, but ignoring the time period is easier than trying to figure out why and how a slith can have a human for a sister.

Dikiyoba.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
How can you ignore the time period when the scenario takes place in a crucial portion of Imperial history? That's like saying that Schindler's List could have taken place during the Civil Rights Movement. (Furthermore, no sliths or nephils have been rich on the surface ever. That'd be like making the slave-owner in Roots an african-american.)

The scenario explicitly states that it is for humans only, and that the user can change the graphics if s/he so chooses. "You take your sister shopping" isn't a scenario that demands a certain race. "You are soldiers sent out to subdue a race rebelling against your oppression" is.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
I think that's Dikiyoba's point. I think he was trying to indicate that Babysitting allowing the party to be any race is good, not that Mad Ambition not doing so is bad.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
quote:

True, but ignoring the time period is easier than trying to figure out why and how a slith can have a human for a sister.
Dude, this statement ain't particularly ambiguous.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #9
Go back to your cave, Prometheus. :P There were actually a few scattered slave and plantation owners of African descent, but these dudes usually cropped up pre-19th century. That is, before slavery in the USA became REALLY race-based. Look it up.

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Um, I think I read this statement of TM's wrong:

quote:
The notion of a slithzerikai existing on the surface before the settlement of Valorim is absurd. The notion of a nephil surviving in Imperial captivity is even worse.

For some reason, I assumed this statement was about Babysitting, not Mad Ambition (probably because he quoted a statement of mine about Babysitting in the same post and because I've only played both scenarios one time through). That assumption was the basis for this statement:

quote:

Dikiyoba.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

quote:

So? care to explain why it is so "crucial" that you play the right race? let him play as a Nephil if he wants! jezus Bok, are you his father or something?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Semodius:

Go back to your cave, Prometheus. :P There were actually a few scattered slave and plantation owners of African descent, but these dudes usually cropped up pre-19th century. That is, before slavery in the USA became REALLY race-based. Look it up.
So what you're saying is, there were african slave-owners, but it was entirely irrelevant to race, making it entirely irrelevant to any literature about racism.

quote:
Originally written by Thralni, The flying Dutchmen:

So? care to explain why it is so "crucial" that you play the right race? let him play as a Nephil if he wants! jezus Bok, are you his father or something?
You have not played the scenario.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #13
There were a few, yes. Like I said, look it up. Slavery really heated up in the 19th century as a racist institution. Before that it was much more of an economical situation that racism fueled.

--------------------
--Dachnaz
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
So in other words, there were black slave-owners, but it was entirely irrelevant to the situation at hand, which is racism.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
Slavery was prevelent in pre-colonial Africa. European merchants took advantage of this and purchased trade items (Africans) from other Africans. Seeing a good solid buyer, coastal African leaders began extracting as much of this resource as they could from the inner parts of Africa. This was not racist.

European conviction that non-Europeans were sub-human, and couldn't own property, created racism from slavery. They are definitely different things, although one begat the other.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #16
Okay, you're factually right, but what the hell bearing does that have on this discussion?
That's what I've been asking this whole fricking time.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
I'm going to embark on a trip through as many Blades scenarios with my all-Nephilim group. I hope giving ALL of them decent bow skill won't totally gimp other important skills (like Mage Spells levels, especially). Perhaps the bonus dexterity will keep my mage-philim alive for a bit longer! =)
quote:
Slavery was prevelent in pre-colonial Africa. European merchants took advantage of this and purchased trade items (Africans) from other Africans. Seeing a good solid buyer, coastal African leaders began extracting as much of this resource as they could from the inner parts of Africa. This was not racist.

European conviction that non-Europeans were sub-human, and couldn't own property, created racism from slavery. They are definitely different things, although one begat the other.

--------------------
I am a silly, silly fool.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

quote:
Originally written by Semodius:

So what you're saying is, there were african slave-owners, but it was entirely irrelevant to race, making it entirely irrelevant to any literature about racism.

quote:

Wrong. I have played it, and I know why it would be weird to play a nephil. Still, if he wants to play as a Nephil, I don't see why we should all jump on him and say that that is stupid, dumb or historically incorrect. Fort god sake, stop with the intelectual crap and simply play the game!

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
Sorry about the slavery bit there, it just ticks me off when someone automatically equates it with racism.

Thralni? Deep breaths, simmah down. It isn't worth having an "intelectual crap" for you to enter a debate between a player and designer of a scenario.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
You see, I don't think it matters what race you play, as long as you enjoy the scenario. If you want to try something new, then just do it.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #21
quote:

You see, I don't think it matters what race you play, as long as you enjoy the scenario. If you want to try something new, then just do it.
Most scenarios that I've played don't care about race, apart from Bahs ofcourse. And changing the picture doesn't really make a difference to the game - does it? It just reads the char's race, not their picture.

- Archmagus Micael

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 03:03: Message edited by: Archmagus Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Archmagus Micael:

quote:

Most scenarios that I've played don't care about race, apart from Bahs ofcourse. And changing the picture doesn't really make a difference to the game - does it? It just reads the char's race, not their picture.

- Archmagus Micael

Mad Ambition does not check that the party is human; it assumes so and gives a warning at the beginning of the scenario that if you have any non-human characters, they will still be treated as human in the text of the game.

\/ To Thralni: my post was not directed at you. Not only would it not have made sense if directed at you (because it was already established that you have played the scenario), I could have simply quoted your original post rather than Micael's.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 11:31: Message edited by: Note to Self ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
No, I have played the scenario. Now stop saying I didn't play it, please.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #24
You know, most of these problems can be solved with a little imagination.

For instance, I started playing APF with a nephil singleton. Imagine my suprise when I'm attacked by a group of nephilim because they have never seen 'humans' before. Then, I justified it to myself. My nephil was actually a nephar, and I mentally replaced 'humans' with 'freak'. It's making the whole scenario more relevant: I'm one of the imperfections that need to be destroyed.

I haven't played MA yet. But I'm sure something similar could be found.

--------------------
Someone call the Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spider Exterminator!

Pages