What is your best team of 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What is your best team of 4?
Apprentice
Member # 6635
Profile #0
A person told me he had 3 sorceres and a cleric thats sound like i nice combonation,what you got?
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #1
One ninja/spearmaster/paladin, another Slith Sorceress with extreme rune reading skills good str. and fighting/throwing skills, a female priest with brewing and tool skills and a tank/swordmaster/archer! :D

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Anything that has beaten Canopy.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
My current best party is a Slith who uses spears in melee and is basically the party's point man and tank, a Human who uses swords in melee and is the party's biggest damage-dealer, a Nephil dedicated archer who kills things with Adlerauge, and a Human mage/priest who takes care of all of our magical needs.

I've found that mage/priests are much more effective than trying to develop a dedicated mage and/or dedicated priest, as while it will delay your access to higher-level spells slightly, the massive amounts of SP will make up for it.

On the other hand, I've also heard good things about a party of archer/priests. Perhaps one of the people who plays one can pitch in on that?
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #4
My parties are usually very similar to Imban's build. I'll usually have a Slithzerikai tank that worries more about large amounts of health and luck than damage, a Nephilim archer/theif, and a mage/priest with enough speed increasing items to be able to cast Slow and War Bless on the first turn.

Edit: This party build effectively finishes scenarios designed for much higher level parties on torment, without the use of the Divinely Touched trait.

Brittle Bones is a surprisingly useful disadvantage which gives all characters, not designed for melee, a nice XP boost. When playing torment you hardly notice the effects at all.

Oh a four person party... In a four person party I'll keep the mage and priest separate or add a warrior/priest.

[ Wednesday, January 04, 2006 13:15: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

On the other hand, I've also heard good things about a party of archer/priests. Perhaps one of the people who plays one can pitch in on that?
Glad to oblige.

My party consists of a swordsman, two archer/priests and a mage/priest. I really don't think mages are that effective in BoA, so I only keep one in my party (for summoning and unlocking doors and things) and prefer to let my priests use missile weapons for offence. I usually give my archer/priests slings rather than bows, because managing ammo is a pain (and Adlerauge is cheating).

Oh, and I give everyone two disadvantages, just because it's fun to rocket up by ridiculous numbers of levels. This party went from level 25 at the start of Bahssikava to level 75 by the end.

One problem with my party is that I don't usually give anyone high Tool Use skill, because most scenarios currently out there (with the exception of Jeff's) don't require it. Making a significant investment in Tool Use would require substantially reducing the effectiveness of one of my characters.

[ Wednesday, January 04, 2006 13:57: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Two sliths: one a melee fighter, the other a priest. Two nephil: one a thief (weaker than others and always behind), the other a priest. Priests have enough mage skills to cast dispel barrier. All characters have mage skills up to haste and priest skills up to smite. Disadvantages to give sliths and nephil equal experience.

Good for beginning, more difficult for mid-levels, obscenely easy for anything with demons or undead because four repel spirit spells in a round kills just about anything walking around that shouldn't be.

Dikiyoba does no diplomacy with the dead; Dikiyoba just attacks.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
I have three humans and a nephil, often no sliths. one of the humans is a warrior/archer, the other a priest/archer, and the last one is a mage/archer. teh nephil is a warrior/archer, but only a warrior if I'm out of arrows. I train them all in archery for one clear reason: if I have to beat a difficult enemy that is to dangerous to come near, I want to attack it from far. also, when my priest or mage has run out of energy, he can use archery to be able to attack from far. I also use thrown missiles quite often, in case I don't have arrows or bolts.

thuryl, why do you think mages are not good in avernum? I think their spells are ten times better then most offensive spells a priest has. its true though, that at a certain point melee becomes stronger then magic.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
Damaging spells in BoA cost ridiculously high amounts of spell energy relative to the amount of energy that a spellcaster can reasonably have, so I never use them. I like to be able to dish out damage until the cows come home without worrying about running out of energy, so mages don't suit my playing style. I mean, if even when you're at a high level you can only cast 10 Fireblasts or so before your spell energy runs out, what's the point?

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
(Which is why I made special spells in Canopy)

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
That's why I don't like archers/throwers in BoA. They run out of ammo in the most inconvienient moment, or are weighed down by carrying a lot of it. I only use missiles when other things fail. Magic is best for beginning parties because it always hits and when fighting a large number of enemies because one can hit six to eight enemies at a time.

Dikiyoba.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

That's why I don't like archers/throwers in BoA. They run out of ammo in the most inconvienient moment, or are weighed down by carrying a lot of it.
Slings, dude. Slings.

Sure, their damage is a little on the low side, but if you have two slingers in your party you're still outputting more damage per round than one archer. Unless you're a cad and decide to use Adlerauge, in which case you don't have to worry about ammo anyway.

Oh, and magic only "always hits" when you're not fighting an enemy with ludicrously high resistance to elemental attacks. Good luck winning Bahssikava's final battle without an archer, for example. :P

(Admittedly, there are also a few things that are immune to physical damage. That's why it's nice to have a mage around, even if I don't use his attack spells under normal circumstances.)

Oh, and I'll grant you one more thing -- mages are fairly effective at low levels, when fighters are still unreliable and a couple of castings of Ice Lances can wipe out most things. At high levels, they become increasingly disappointing.

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 16:03: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #12
I read up above someone wrote ninja. And that got me wondering, has anyone created a custom graphic of a pirate? That would kick so much ass. Completely off topic I know, but I'm curious.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #13
I wrote the ninja thing, and even if you got such a graphic, you couldn´t use it for PCs! :P

If you want a NPC graphic, I doubt anybody made one yet, but you could try to make one yourself! Maybe the creators of scenarios like "Shipwrecked" made such graphics! :rolleyes:

--------------------

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #14
Bah. You can use graphics other than the defaults, it just necessitates editing the defaults. I edited the defaults under Nethergate, A1-3, BoA, etc, and nothing bad happened. Just be sure to backup the original graphic in case you want to restore it and you should be fine.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Slings, dude. Slings.

Sure, their damage is a little on the low side, but if you have two slingers in your party you're still outputting more damage per round than one archer. Unless you're a cad and decide to use Adlerauge, in which case you don't have to worry about ammo anyway.

Oh, and magic only "always hits" when you're not fighting an enemy with ludicrously high resistance to elemental attacks. Good luck winning Bahssikava's final battle without an archer, for example. :P

(Admittedly, there are also a few things that are immune to physical damage. That's why it's nice to have a mage around, even if I don't use his attack spells under normal circumstances.)

Oh, and I'll grant you one more thing -- mages are fairly effective at low levels, when fighters are still unreliable and a couple of castings of Ice Lances can wipe out most things. At high levels, they become increasingly disappointing.[/QB]
I thought of slings, but way too late to do any good. I haven't used them much; I think its because they're new to me, and they're harder to find lying around than other missiles. But I definitely think I'll try a party with slings. I also specified somewhere above that I use priest spells, since I tend to encumber my party too much for mage spells. Melee attacks are best, though, if the party is close enough and can hit the monsters.

Undead still don't stand a chance against Dikiyoba's party of warrior priests!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #16
Unless you are one of those who considers it tantamount to cheating, there's always the Alderauge from Canopy.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
"I wrote the ninja thing, and even if you got such a graphic, you couldn´t use it for PCs! [Razz] "

Um. There's already a "ninja" graphic for PCs.

"Melee attacks are best, though, if the party is close enough and can hit the monsters."

Eh- I suppose that melee is ultimately best (although the Nuclear Pistol comes Really, Really Close to the Nuclear Sword). On the other hand, melee requires putting yourself in the line of monsters' attacks, which is a relatively poor proposition: As you advance in levels, the odds that monsters WON'T hit you decrease sharply, and armor- even Zenbu no Yoroi or Blessed Mithril Plates- can't stave off all attacks. (This is especially true in Bahssikava- most of those monsters you don't want NEAR you. Fortunately, archery means that they won't get that far anyway.)

Plus, archers have the added benefit of having a primary stat (DEX) that increases both damage and percentage to hit, making archery a better option than melee for taking out, say, Goblin Assassins (EM) or Galthrax (Bahss). Not only that, but their "second bonus stat" (Sharpshooter) only requires ONE of the selected missile groups, not both (like Blademaster does).

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #18
I find that in Bahs, melee is actually the best way to kill off most enemies. My mage and archer can slow down a large number of enemies, while my fighter systematically smashes them. I do then need my priest to heal the fighter regularly to counter the damage done by the enemies he stands next to. I find archery quite valuable, but it just isn't as good for dealing with really high level monsters with many hitpoints, even when my archer fires three times in one turn.

You make an interesting point about the secondary statistics, though, which I hadn't considered before.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
This is sort of on topic and its something I've been wondering...

What does everyone name their party members? Just the preset names? Or something more creative?

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

This is sort of on topic and its something I've been wondering...

What does everyone name their party members? Just the preset names? Or something more creative?

Dikiyoba.

I change the names. Sometimes I call my characters after people I know, or characters in my novel. Just for fun, I gave Roman names to the party I made to play Lord Putidus.

I generally have a human cleric, human or slith sorcerer, slith or human berzerker, and another fighter or a rogue of whatever race I feel like using. I tend to neglect archery most of the time.

I'm currently playing Diplomacy with the Dead again, with a party of two humans, a slith, and a nephil, all using the most feminine-looking portraits, and with female names. It doesn't matter, of course, but I felt like doing it just this once.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Akai Hoshi:

"I wrote the ninja thing, and even if you got such a graphic, you couldn´t use it for PCs! [Razz] "

Um. There's already a "ninja" graphic for PCs.

I meant that there is no "pirate" graphic in BoA, please read, think and post then, TM! :rolleyes:

--------------------