Cooking an idea, to help beta testing.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Cooking an idea, to help beta testing.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #0
I think a scenario's beta testing is highly important. A good scenario can be reduced to a so-so or bad scenario due to bugs, errors, etc. So every scenario designer should beta test his scenario.

Usually they adopt the email solution: beta testers receive scenario, play it and send an email with a report. Corrections are made, new versions are made and new email reports are sent. Multiply this by the number of beta testers, and you'll understand it's a complicated and unefficient process.

What I'm about to propose, and I'm working on it, is a Beta Testing Center forum (yes, I know, I like the "center" word ;) ). For each scenario to be beta tested will be created a new board (password protected or invisible). The designer will be his board admin and only the beta testers he choses will have access to his board.

This allows:

- A more interactive and dynamic beta testing

- Beta testers can post bugs, questions, etc on the fly. Other beta testers can read them and confirm/help/etc.

- Makes beta testing quicker.

- You name it! :)

So, tell me what you think. :)

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
It's not a bad idea, although an AIM chat serves much the same purpose.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #2
I love this idea, since I am allergic to IM's of all kinds. Would there be a downloads section so that testers could download the scenario from the site without the use of emails?

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Given that e-mail has worked for eight years, I don't see a pressing need to change now, but I'm curious: where exactly would this happen? Spiderweb is certainly not going to do this.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #4
There are a few suggestions which might help with this. I created a separate email account for all all the scenarios I was play testing. A new free email account like yahoo works pretty well. It also eliminates a lot of clutter.

The second thing which might help is a free homepage like geocities or something similar with a download of the latest version. Nothing else very simple. Download here. Set up before announcing test.

I think Supanik may be finished with The Yedda Prophecy and is dreading the process of betatesting. Last I checked in December he said he was 90% done. I would like to test this.

A separate forum sounds good, but could be impractical. All of the testers would have to sign up for the forum giving out their personal information.

I know there have been some problems with betatesting. Too much sniping, people dropping out, nonconstructive criticism on scenarios, etc.

One of the designers should throw in and give a set of practical tips on betaing.

[ Thursday, March 24, 2005 10:18: Message edited by: Toasty Warm ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #5
The IM (MSN, AOL, ICQ, etc) incovenience is that people must be online at the same time to chat. I know that most people here probably live in the USA, but there are many people from Europe and other american countries (and even some from Asia!), so arranging a time to be online together can be a pain.

On the other side, in a private forum the message remains there and other get to it when they get online. Just like we do here.

This would allow to beta test the scenario as a group too, instead of only individual reports. I think interactivity and dynamics would really enhance and accelerate beta testing.

How would we do it? I'm preparing a (free) forum (with some adds, unfortunately, that's why it's free) that'll be perfect for what we need.

Of course, no personal information (like address or phone numbers) are required to register!

About file hosting, that will remain the same: you can use any free webhosting (just google for it) or email it. Since some people have small mailboxes, the free webhosting would be the best solution (no undelivered emails, etc).

(In last case, I can host files too, but that would mean that you would have to send it to me and wait until I put it online.)

I'll be using this system when my scenario is ready for beta testing (that's why I had this idea).

Main reasons: interactivity, dynamics, beta test as a group and fastness. :)

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #6
The idea isn't a bad one atall. In fact, I quite like it. If you (or Djur or Alcritas or whoever) want to do this, go ahead.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #7
I'm already preparing it, and here's how it will work. Let's say you're a designer and want to beta test your scenario:

- Register in Beta Testing Center forum (BTC)
- Apply for a beta testing board: give your nick and scenario name. Say if you want a private or invisible board (if private, the board will be listed, but only you and your beta testers can view and access it; if invisible, the board won't even be listed in the forum)
- A board and a usergroup will be created for you.

From here, it's all in your hands. The board is private (or invisible) and you're the moderator. Only members of your usergroup are allowed access to your board. It's up to you to Add/Remove members to/from your usergroup, moderate the board and whatever.

It's even simpler and easier done than said. :)

[ Thursday, March 24, 2005 12:14: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #8
Before an official announcement, I would like to know your opinion about the Beta Testing Center forum:

BTC

Any suggestions are welcome (including the chosen skin). :)

[ Thursday, March 24, 2005 14:43: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
Warrior
Member # 5415
Profile #9
Based upon the number of errors and simple mistakes in the scenarios that have been released recently, clearly the old method needs an improvement. Whether the problem is email not being efficient, the testers not really doing much actual testing or something else entirely isn't clear, but a process like Overwhelming describes sounds much more efficient.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #10
If you're referring to BWC, the primary source of error is "designer release anxiety."

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Given that e-mail has worked for eight years, I don't see a pressing need to change now, but I'm curious: where exactly would this happen? Spiderweb is certainly not going to do this.
I've been involved in testing without a forum. I've been invloved in testing with a forum. The latter is, I think, better by a fair margin.

Overwhelming, I commend you. This is something genuinely useful.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by TM:
If you're referring to BWC, the primary source of error is "designer release anxiety."
Heh, sure was.
Nice idea, though, Overwhelming.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #13
I'm still open to sugestions on improvements.

Right now, I would also like to know what you think about its aesthetics. Here you can see all skin demos. If you think BTC could use a better skin, just tell me. I'm also thinking about enable users to choose their own skin in their user preferences, instead of forcing the default skin. Anyway, tell me what skins to substitute or add. Here's the link . (I'm using the Chronicles one. Aelous, DAJ_Glass and DesesrtStorm also please me. But there's dozens more! Let me hear your opinion :) )

The BTC can be used for new scenarios beta testing, but also for released scenarios being tested for improved versions. So, if you're still working on a released scenario, feel free to apply for your own board and usergroup for testing it. :)

BTW, I considered this place as an alternate BTC forum place. It has no ads, but it looks slower, at least for me. Give me your opinion, we're still in time for changing ;)

Here's the link: Alternate BTC place.

[ Friday, March 25, 2005 02:35: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #14
All right. Tweaked both forums.

Now it's up to you to choose the best one. Tomorrow I'll pick the chosen one (based on this mini-poll) and officialy announce it. :)

Here's the choices:

1. BTC, hosted by phpbbforfree.com
2. BTC, hosted by forumer.com

[ Friday, March 25, 2005 07:55: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #15
#2 is much better.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #16
#2 is better. The contrast is better and the lettering is easier to read.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
I'm partial to the looks of both, but #2 is faster.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5619
Profile Homepage #18
#1 look more colorful but #2 had better style.
So I guess I will vote for both.

--------------------
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #19
It looks like the 2nd one was the most voted, so it will be the official Beta Testing Center. I'll announce it here shortly.

--------------------

--------------