Just say no

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Just say no
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #25
Ample thought and conversation will eventually solve this dilemma, not the Chaos Theory.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
Ample thought and discussion have only yielded theory chaos so far.

—Alorael, who can't say what they will yield tomorrow, or what they will have yielded yesterday tomorrow. Tricky stuff, innit?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Verelor:

Do not play ye Richard White game. Nor can you kill teh Richard White game. Avoid it like ye Opium, all it can bring it pain!!
Unless they're on the quality level of Homeland, Richard White Games can't possible be that bad.

But anyway, enjot your discusion. ;)

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #28
Besides the mediocre Galactic Core, all signs and conversations point to Richard White games being every bit as sucky as Homeland: the Stone of Night.

Bag of RW's turd material > Ocean Bound

Bag of RW's turd material = Lost Souls

Bag of RW's turd material < Galactic Core
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #29
Untrue. Lost Souls is the best of the bunch and has some potential. It would be much better with a level editor and two player capability. Ocean Bound is akin to repeatedly slamming into an unyielding wall at moderate speed, whlie Homeland is like repeatedly slamming into unyielding, jagged metal spikes that send a few thousand volts through you repeatedly.

—Alorael, who would like to think RW can at least progam a complete game, which Homeland allegedly isn't.
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Verelor:

Bag of RW's turd material > Ocean Bound

Bag of RW's turd material = Lost Souls

Bag of RW's turd material < Galactic Core

Icshi describes "Ocean Bound" as sim city without the city. That actually captures it exactly. It is truly a weird and annoying game.

Lost Souls is an interesting concept. I thought it was kind of fun, but not fun enough to register it for the full version.

Galactic Core is fun, but the AI is really terrible, the included campaigns are really easy, and so it has limited appeal. And the species are, under no theory, remotely balanced. One species gets a giant, planet-killing deathstar as their best battle ship. Another gets a hologram as their best battle ship. Hmm - which would you choose?

Right now, I'm playing an email game and Icshi keeps killing my scout ships!

[ Sunday, July 10, 2005 18:36: Message edited by: Zorro ]

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #31
How would I know. I do not use a Mac. There's a world of difference between PC's and Macs: One is terrible, the other one isn't. The opinions and feedback of every person who DID play these games obviously aren't bad to go by.

[ Monday, July 11, 2005 14:20: Message edited by: Verelor ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
Ah, but almost everyone who plays these games has a Mac and thus hasn't experienced Homeland. Some horrors cannot be conceived by the innocent; they must be witnessed to be believed.

—Alorael, who will thank you kindly not to take steps towards starting a Mac vs. PC argument. It's no good without Djur around to bring up Linux and play the role of common, uniting foe.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #33
Through a freak accident involving 3.6 potatoes, a cat named Mr. Scoonoobles, a ball of very warm twine, and a pair of edible socks I have determined that it now seems that White's death occured by being gored by a three-legged moose.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #34
Really, what I think the games needed to succeed was more cowbell.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #35
Linux is for nerds who can't accept that some people like features such as an actual user interface.

IN SHORT:

IMAGE(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Z7SoHLC4I7EJ:www.itmugs.com/images/Linus-Sucks-Large.gif)

Spoken like a true technologimoron, you say? Try this on for size. It's from a rather recent web blog by Mikko. This is exactly copied:

Thursday, March 24, 2005

It's official: Linux sucks? Posted by Mikko @ 09:29 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we discussed at http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/archive-022005.html#00000475 briefly last month, three security researchers have done a controversial study that proves once and for all that Windows is way safer than Linux (or something along these lines).

The study was presented last month by Richard Ford, Herbert H. Thompson and Fabien Casteran, and the full report has now been published. It's available for download from http://www.securityinnovation.com/company/news/index.shtml

IMAGE(http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/windowsrocks.gif)

We'd expect that this report is not going to generate flames or heated discussion anywhere.

[ Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:57: Message edited by: Verelor ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #36
Just in case that didn't, this might.

—Alorael, who would be more impressed if he could see more of that study. "Most attacked server" doesn't mean much considering the popularity of Linux servers.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
Using an operating system with more vulnerabilities encourages an understanding of safe computing, in the same way that a sharpened metal spike sticking out of every car's steering wheel would encourage safe driving and ultimately reduce the number of fatal road accidents.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #38
quote:
Linux is for nerds who can't accept that some people like features such as an actual user interface.
Well, Djur would disagree.

So would I, but then I'd get into a flamewar over which system is better.

I'll just say: Mozilla Firefox and Battle for Wesnoth were both originally programmed for Linux. To me, that carries more weight than any survey taken from an obscure post on a blog I've never heard of.

Also, calling someone a 'nerd' is a ridiculously stupid insult.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
Also, if the study is controversial, then obviously it doesn't prove anything once and for all.

Furthermore, the study compares reported vulnerabilities, which may just reflect the fact that Linux users and developers are actively encouraged to root out vulnerabilities, whilst vulnerabilities in Windows tend to be hushed up at least until a fix exists.

[ Wednesday, July 13, 2005 00:07: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #40
Even so, NONE of the great games out there today from Half-Life 2 to Warcraft 3 to Guild Wars to Avernum :) are compatable with Linux without some SERIOUS tweaking to your OS.

Unless you're running a server or something or doing something really demanding, there's nor eason to use Linux over Windows. To be not quite nice but plainly truthful, Mac has no place in the conversation; it's a bad OS.

[ Wednesday, July 13, 2005 09:25: Message edited by: Verelor ]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #41
What's your basis for saying that? From what I understand, the Mac OSX server software is much more efficient than the Windows 2003 server software, as well as much easier to admin. It can also be completely administered via command line. As a general OS, OSX is also much stabler, and from a single-user standpoint, much simpler and, I believe, more elegant.

I strongly suspect that you don't regularly use the Mac OS.

[ Wednesday, July 13, 2005 09:45: Message edited by: Drew ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #42
If you start this argument, this thread is going to be locked. Just a little forewarning on my part.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #43
Fair enough - I guess it was just the unqualified slight that got to me.

(Not that this topic didn't warrant locking to begin with - the moderating here has been a bit lenient recently, I reckon.)

Er, Richardus Whitus fugit!

[ Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:08: Message edited by: Drew ]
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #44
As long as Linux is being discussed...

Did Jeff do the conversion of Exile 3 for Linux, or did somebody else do that? And why did just the third game get this conversion, rather than the first one or second?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
Someone else did it, and he or she must have liked E3 more than the others (E3 was the latest at the time). It's allegedly a poor port, though. Djur has claimed, I believe, that E3 runs better if you use the Windows port with Wine.

—Alorael, who would guess that Jeff doesn't have the time, energy, Linux experience, or market for ports to Linux. On the other hand, he may just be getting DJur back for all his disparagement of Jeff's games.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #46
Mac OS: Stable and quite elegent and structured at the cost of having hardly more use than a garage door remote.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
Verelor, stop it.

Someone else did the Linux port? Jeff let his precious code be seen and even tampered with by someone else? Wow.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #48
Actually, it was done with blind guesses, patches, and patience. Hence the questionable quality.

—Alorael, whose Mac is incapable of opening garage doors. Apparently that will be added in OS 10.4.2.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #49
Really, the only good thing about Linux is that it's free. And less viruses. But almost no games work on it.

--------------------
-ben4808

Pages