Terry Pratchett and others

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Terry Pratchett and others
Warrior
Member # 2947
Profile #0
Something tells me that the names Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams and Tom Holt will be well recieved on this board.

Just a guess, mind.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams are cool. But who's Tom Holt?

I think Douglas is just hilarious, and Terry Pratchett is his counterpart concerning fantasy. The only thing I don't like in Pratchett is that in his stories he describes elves as being nasty. :mad: :mad: Elf-hater! :mad: ;)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #2
Terry Pratchett is EXTREMELY funny as is some of Douglas Adams' stuff, oh and who is Tom Holt??

--------------------
NUKE NORTH KOERA (No offence to any Koreans)

"Bouts of insanity stop us all going mad.":- Spike Milligan

I mod supaniks ass at Random_stupidity

NFC FOREVER!!!
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #3
Pratchett is fine, Adams is not, Holt is just plain british.

--------------------
Meet the savior. KYMCO Super Fever will force you to do so. Haw.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
What's wrong with Adams??? :mad:

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #5
Tom Holt is less well known, but very good. Try some.

And it's possible for elves to have a different alignment than the Tolkien Lawful-Stupid ones. Anyway, as far as I remember, elves only appear in one Discworld book.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #6
Ever read Good Omens? One of the best books evar.

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #7
There's nothing wrong with Doug Adams, it's just that this board is/was crawling with quite vocal fans of him, who never got tired of that whole 42 thing. I myself quite liked the Hitchhiker 'trilogy', but hated the first Dirk Gently book, so I stopped reading him.
Raymond Chandler is way better at the private dick shtick than Adams could ever have been, psychics or not.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #8
quote:
Raymond Chandler is way better at the private dick shtick than Adams could ever have been, psychics or not.

Ever try Dashiell Hammet? He pretty much started the whole private detectuve shtick....
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #9
Only the first three books of Hitchiker Trilogy were good. Two last ones sucked ass more than [insert my name here].

--------------------
Meet the savior. KYMCO Super Fever will force you to do so. Haw.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #10
I never read...what was it? "Goodbye and thanks for all the fish"? So it might be terrible, don't know.
As for Dashiell Hammett, i tried to read "The Maltese Falcon", but couldn't get into it. The rich snobs sitting around their expensive suites sipping cocktails really bothered me. I preferred Chandler's down-on-his-luck private eye, the man seemed more...real, i guess.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2947
Profile #11
You should read The Falcon's Malteser, by Anthony Howrovizt, it's extremely funny.

I listened to the entire Hitchhiker collection in it's original form (the English radio play). I then read the book. All brilliant stuff from start to finish.

Of Pratchett, I believe I have read (in no particular order):

The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Interesting Times
Reaper Man
The Hogfather
The Last Continent
Guards! Guards!
Clay Feet
The Fifth Elephant
Jingo
The first in the witch series (I forget the name)

Tom Holt is a brilliant British writer, hilarious and sardonic in every point.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #12
Everyone knows that elves are short, green, wear silly hats and make toys for Father Christmas. All that pointy ear stuff is made up.

[ Thursday, June 12, 2003 08:06: Message edited by: Jigga ]

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #13
The last two books of the Hitchhiker trilogy of five aren't that good. Adams himself pretty much accepted that. I can't remember reading any Tom Holt, although the name rings a bell. I've read pretty much everything Pratchett ever wrote.

I remember once reading a few books by an American author who seemed to be trying comic fantasy. His early stuff was quite good, but he began to lose it after about five books. Can't remember his name, but I think his first name was Robert and his books tended to include the word Myth.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
I remember the myth books. They fell far short of Discworld in humor. They fell short even of most bad humor fantasy.

—Alorael, who definitely likes Pratchett and who thought HGttG was funny but impossible to follow. He'd like to add Carl Hiaasen to the list, though. He's not a fantasy writer, but he has a lovely way of writing with political cynicism.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Basically, the Dirk Gently series (can you call two books a series? ;) ) is not a detective story. If it was, I'd agree it sucks. It's a parody on detective tales. Just as HhGttG (did I miss a letter?) is a parody of Sci-Fi, and Discworld is somewhat of a parody of fantasy. :)

--------------------
---
---
Babelicious
Member # 3092
Profile #16
Personally, I loved So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish and Mostly Harmless. Actually, Mostly Harmless is awesome. Reading it gives you a vague feeling that everyone's making a mad dash, god knows where -- and then the end. Which I both hate and love.

--------------------
(( take my hand and join us ))
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
It's a terrific ending to that great trilogy (or quintology? ;) ). It's a bit sad because the Earth is, after all, destroyed, but heck, that's the way the book started, right?

But I think Doug had some problem with finishing stories. There's a kind of Odysee-like restlessness about the plot, and it never comes to an end. I bet that if he'd lived longer :( , he'd have made a sixth and a seventh book.

--------------------
---
---
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #18
What's wrong with Robert Aspirin? He spoofed just about everything in his Myth series. The last few were definately lacking, but the first ones were great. Phule's Company is also good, but in that one he spoofs science/military fiction.

My little sister introduced me to Pratchett's work, and I do enjoy it. Some parts of the books that I have read seem just a bit over done though. Douglas Adams' books, while good, also suffer from this at times.

I tend to stick to fantasy and sci-fi in general though, so I'll keep my nose out of the debates concerning mysteries and detective stories.

--------------------
"The hippogryph is an amazing creature rarely seen outside of the wild. The tricky thing about hippogryphs is their incredible jaw strength. One terrible clamp of their beaks could rip a huge beast apart in seconds. Let's see what happens when I stick my hand inside..."
*roaring, SNAP!
*rider screams
—Hippogryph rider, WC III

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #19
So Long and Thanks for All the Fish was, in my opinion, the best of the Douglas Adams books, and Ford Prefect was always a man after my own heart. As for endings, I agree with Arancaytar. He wrote originally for radio, however, which I think explains his tendency to ramble and never really close a story. DGHDA sucked mildly, but The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul was a major improvement.

Ye Gods by Holt was very funny, but living in Hellifax, I have never been able to find anything else by the plainly British author.

As for Pratchett. Pf

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
Douglas Adams did write a sixth book; it was released just recently. (It wasn't quite finished when he died so his family completed it, and I haven't read it so I can't vouch for its quality.)

While we're talking semi-obscure authors, is anyone else familiar with the works of Iain M. Banks?

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #21
Terry Pratchett books I've read;

Equal rites
Mort
Sourcery
Wyrd Sisters
Guards Guards
Pyramids
Witches Abroad
Small Gods
Men at arms
Lords and Ladies
Feet of Clay
Interesting Times
Hogfather
The Lost Continent
Maskerade
The Fifth Elephant
The Truth
Carpe Juggelem
Thief of Time
Night Watch
and Nanny Ogg's cookbook.

As you can see I have read a lot of them :D

--------------------
...a sadist is only someone that is terribly nice to a masochist...

Want to find out how nasty you really are? visit:www.thespark.com now!

Also look at my site here
This is also a
good site
Babelicious
Member # 3092
Profile #22
SPEAKING OF FANTASY, PIERS ANTHONY IS THE KING OF FROT

--------------------
(( take my hand and join us ))
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #23
I've read the posthumous Adams work. It's not a Hitchhiker's book. Part of it was intended to be a third Dirk Gently book (I personally consider Dirk Gently to be his best work) and part of it was just half finished files on his computer.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Warrior
Member # 2947
Profile #24
Nye: You can find Tom Holt in any decent Waterstones or Books ECT.
You live in Halifax? I could send you a few of mine, if you wish. I've read them already and won't need them again.

Equal Rites, that was the one I forgot. I only really like the Death and Rincewind stories, the Faculty (Unseen University) is also quite good, and the Ankh-Morpork Watch series is competent, although less about comedy.

I cherished each and every Douglas Adams book, my favourite being the Total Perspective Vortex book (I forget the exact name, it's been a long time since reading them).

Pages