Terry Pratchett and others

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Terry Pratchett and others
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #25
Thuryl: I'm struggling through The Wasp Factory at this very moment.
For those who don't know, there are a whole series of sci-fi books by Iain M Banks, and a whole series of...odd...books by Iain Banks. I think they're the same person, but I can't be sure. Anyway, The Wasp Factory is by the latter, and it's plain sick, but really well written, and I'm one of those people who just can't put down a well-written book, no matter how objectionable the content is. (That was my complaint about Stephen Donaldson.)
Anyway, I recommend anyone to read one of the Iain M Banks books. Particularly Use of Weapons. I liked that one.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #26
I like Banks (Iain Banks and Iain M. Banks are the same person) but he's undeniably odd. I didn't really like Excession, however, and I find Feersum Endjinn to be impossible to finish due to the bits in pseudo-phonetic speech.

At a pinch, I'd say my favourite is Against a Dark Background, or maybe the Player of Games. I might say the Wasp Factory, but for the maggots-baby's brain incident.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Warrior
Member # 2947
Profile #27
Iain Banks is a fantastic writer, I have three of his books (paltry I know, but I have just picked up the series).

K.A. Applegate was quite good at one time, but that was some years ago. I've grown out of the Everworld series now.
Apprentice
Member # 2975
Profile #28
I like Terry Pratchett, particularly the Watch series.
Douglas Adams was good, but his books got more and more about less and less.
We have the first five, and they are good (but pointless) reading.
I haven't seen the last one, but I think it has the first couple of chapters of the Dirk Gently (I don't actually remember him) book, and a couple of letters to his editors, and is called The Salmon Of Doubt.
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally posted by Old Chaz:
Books ECT.

Which, as we all know, stands for "Books ec tetera".

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #30
I've read all of the Discworld books (yes I'm kinda sad), some 28 or so and there's a new one out as well...

Of the Adams books, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish was hardly funny and Mostly Harmless was just plain weird! But the other HGttG books were good, and I haven't read the Dirk Gently books yet.

I have soooooooo many books to read this summer.

edit: Yes! Finally have a hundred posts!

[ Sunday, June 15, 2003 00:50: Message edited by: Lemmings fre@k ]

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #31
quote:
Originally posted by Jigga:
Everyone knows that elves are short, green, wear silly hats and make toys for Father Christmas. All that pointy ear stuff is made up.
Those are Christmas Elves. Not normal elves. And elves don't exsist(At least I don't think so.).

My favorite book is Holes, by Louis Sachar. Louis Sachar is my favorite author. He wrote some of my favorite books. Including the Wayside School series. Seriously, I've read all of the books in that series.

[ Monday, June 16, 2003 16:14: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest, The Windwarrior ]

--------------------
This is MY link.
Click here,or here for the yoga dance mix!Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 150 computers: read more!
We have tried to not harm anything in the making of this commercial, but we failed miserably.
One Small Step for man, one giant leap(SHCKXXXXXX)STOP POKING ME!!!
-Starcraft Observers
R.I.P-Here lies NSI, may this rp be remembered.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #32
Holes. is there anything you particularly like about the book? any character you particularly link with?

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash

Pages