No Taxes!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: No Taxes!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #50
The Puritan work ethic is, as far as I can see, mostly a British things (which makes sense- the Puritans were an Anglican sect.) Although it also seems to be present in some parts of Northern Europe, so I suppose it's more of a 'Protestant' work ethic. Although some of the laziest people I know are those who are still Protestant. I'm one of them.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #51
Of course it's a good thing to treat your employees well, Alec... I don't think anyone would argue that... or at least I hope no one would... but anyway, that doesn't mean capitalism sucks. At all.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #52
Laissez-faire capitalism disagrees with state standards for labor.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #53
Laissez faire capitalism will give everyone good jobs. That is, of course, if everyone can go wherever they like in the world at anytime, and they have an infinite amount of time to look round the world, and they have an infinite amount of patience and are omniscient.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #54
so sorry about not posting this on april 15, i originally planned to, but life got in the way.

I meant, the government would spend money without taking any in. I know you can't do that, it leads to inflation. but what if you did do that, on a controlled basis. instead of having an income tax, there would be a de facto tax on all currency issued by said govmnt. ( someone else may have said this already, I havent read all the posts) Therefore all monies ever earned would be taxed, which might discourage savings, but would encourage spending... that is what i meant. (sorry about not coming back earlier either, life getting in the way again.)

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #55
That's been tried before. The problem is that it's a downward spiral, and will always get out of control eventually. Also, if nobody saves money (and nobody will under this system), they'll be no money avaliable for investment, which pretty much obliterates economic growth.

--------------------
We were once Mao
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #56
But, isn't the US gov't doing this exact thing right now, and has been for a while? The US prints way more money than they have the economic wherewithal to back. Lucky for them, the US $ is the preferred currency for oil trading, so that huge sums of currency get shuffled around the globe without ever coming home to roost. Again, there are theories that the war on Iraq was necessary because Iraq had switched to the Euro for oil trading, which had serious potential to destabilized the dollar and hence the whole US economy.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Member # 95
Profile #57
Well, that's partly true, but as long as the growth in the money supply stays even with economic growth, inflation should be zero. In practice, inflation still exists because the government still increases the money supply faster than the economy grows, but not nearly so severely as in the hyperinflation cases of the past century.

As for the Iraq bit, I hadn't heard that. I'll be sure to incorporate it into my all-encompassing conspiracy theory.

--------------------
We were once Mao
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally posted by [Sarachim]:
Well, that's partly true, but as long as the growth in the money supply stays even with economic growth, inflation should be zero. In practice, inflation still exists because the government still increases the money supply faster than the economy grows, but not nearly so severely as in the hyperinflation cases of the past century.

A growth in the money supply will cause growth, as long as there is not full capacity. Along with this growth will be healthy inflation. However, at full capacity, or with very low suplly, just inflation will result.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #59
Someone tell me if I'm wrong because I don't want to go through life with a bad idea.
I think that a large problem is that most of the money in America belongs to rich people and corporations. The wealth needs to be redistributed or something.
Another large problem is that many American factory jobs have been put in China and other places to be made in places where people get paid practically nothing to do the work that Americans should be paid a fair amount to do. This makes corporations richer and increases unemployment.

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #60
Yes, the unequal distribution of wealth is a problem, but simply taking money from the rich and giving to the poor is an unworkable solution. I'd say the best way to close the wealth gap is to increase taxes, especially on high brackets, and put that money into social services. After all, America and Western Europe have enough resources to support all their citizens, and money isn't inherently necessary.

By the same token, the problem isn't that companies employ sweatshop labor in Third World countries and cut Americans out of jobs. The problem is that Americans need the money from those jobs desperately because it's far too difficult to survive even when you are employed in a minimum-wage job, let alone jobless. Again, this isn't necessary.

—Alorael, who would call the exploitation of the Third World a problem more for human rights abuses than for economic reasons. Companies paying pathetic wages for grueling work don't need the better profit margin, and there are better ways to bring money into impoverished countries and areas.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Member # 95
Profile #61
quote:
Originally posted by Jigga:
A growth in the money supply will cause growth, as long as there is not full capacity. Along with this growth will be healthy inflation. However, at full capacity, or with very low supply, just inflation will result.
I disagree, but that depends what economic school of thought you identify with. If the economy and the money supply grow at the same rate, zero inflation should result (if there's 3% more to buy than last year and 3% more money, then the value of money shouldn't decline). Most economic theories dictate that the money supply does little to contribute to overall growth (Friedman and the monetarists are a big exception), and it definitely takes more than just more money to stimulate economic growth.

"Full capacity" is a dangerous term to use. Keynesian economic theory may dictate that such a point exists, but defining it has proven tricky. During the Reagan and Bush I years, full employment was thought to be in the 6-8% range, and anything lower impossible to achieve without causing hyperinflation. The 90s disproved this thoroughly: unemployment was in the 4-6% range for years while inflation actually went down. In some future economic boom, we may go lower still, and disprove the idea of 4% full employment.

--------------------
We were once Mao
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #62
I actually don't think that the relocation overseas of cheap factory jobs is such a terrible thing. It promotes economic growth in previously underdeveloped/destitute areas. You could hold up Singapore as a showcase example of this.
The big problem, however, are the conditions that are prevalent in those factories, as they are often in countries with little or no labor laws. But even to some, slaving away 10 hours a day in a stifling factory for pennies beats digging for roots in the forest.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #63
quote:
Originally posted by [Sarachim]:
Most economic theories dictate that the money supply does little to contribute to overall growth (Friedman and the monetarists are a big exception), and it definitely takes more than just more money to stimulate economic growth.

A higher money supply, by, for example lowering interest rates, will result in people having a higher disposable income. They will then consume more. As consumption is a component of aggregate demand, demand will increase. As such, growth will happen, along with inflation.

On the point of full capacity. My point was just to point out what would theoretically happen at that point, whereas of course nearly all economies operate at a point slightly below capacity, meaning that both price level and GDP will be affected by demand.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #64
Singapore is not a good example. Singapore and South Korea base their economic strength on strict economic controls and government subsidies. Other countries just liberalise their markets to get money from the IMF.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #65
I was referring to where Singapore got its start, not its current status.

--------------------

Pages