Locking

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Locking
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Stillness:

I would have understood a move to general, but censorship on a whole subject as important to American culture as evolution?! C'mon...
Not entirely true. I think a handful of people want to make a deal out of the discrepancies between science and religion, as the acknowledgment of things like evolution tends to undermine the dogma. But, by and large the American "culture"(not the right word, surely) is more interested in football, ringtones, reality TV, and food.

Because honestly, I've never seen a discussion on evolution spontaneously erupt outside of a room of primate researchers. There, it happens all to frequently except that they argue about order, not ID. That would be just silly.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #26
Such threads could also push customers away. It's in the best interest of the business to keep distanced from hot topics...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

hot topics...
This must be preserved.

--------------------
"Fear that which mortality has rejected" -Galvin Magnus
BANNED
Member # 10021
Profile #28
Anyone who would be offened by such topics probably doesn't have the willpower to read an entire conversation.

--------------------
When I close my eyes at night I see David Bowie.

PLAY AVERNUM 1!!!!!!!!!!!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Starman1985:

Anyone who would be offened by such topics probably doesn't have the willpower to read an entire conversation.
Sort of like people that consistently and immediately resort to ad hominem deserve to have their posting rights disabled?

[ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:02: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------

La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #30
Anyway, even moderators need a little fun in their sad and lonely lives.

--------------------
But it's the unsquandered youth that is truly wasted.

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #31
Salmon,

Those things are the lighter side of culture, but the nature of and limits of evolutionary processes is indeed a "hot topic" that a lot of people do care about. The subthreads that continued well after UBB ate the original thread are testimony to that. You also might check and see if any politics in this country have anything to do with ringtones and compare that to evolution.

Sullust does raise a good point though. I hadn't thought about it that way. I had always thought of these boards as a place where one could excercise his intellectual and social muscles - and there was great freedom to do so, provided it was done without obscenity. I forget that the ultimate goal is for the owner to stretch his wallet muscles.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #32
quote:

Sullust does raise a good point though. I hadn't thought about it that way. I had always thought of these boards as a place where one could excercise his intellectual and social muscles - and there was great freedom to do so, provided it was done without obscenity. I forget that the ultimate goal is for the owner to stretch his wallet muscles.
Officially, General is for discussion of general Spiderweb-related topics. Misc, once upon a time, was for discussion of topics not related to Spiderweb at all, and since Misc got shut down, that discussion has moved to General, but it's not officially sponsored, just permitted.

This isn't actually a debate forum, officially; it's a message board devoted to games.

[ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:21: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 10021
Profile #33
And the games created a cult which in turn talk about the various things in the world.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #34
quote:

And the games created a cult which in turn talk about the various things in the world.
Called RWG [/snideness]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #35
quote:

I can go for stretches before a worthy thread catches my attention and makes me post, but I do lurk a bit.
Same here. I usually don't say anything unless I have something to say. Otherwise, I'd be the first person with a million posts.

[ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:23: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

quote:

I can go for stretches before a worthy thread catches my attention and makes me post, but I do lurk a bit.
Same here. I usually don't say anything unless I have something to say. Otherwise, I'd be the first person with a million posts.

Thats more then UBB has ever assimilated (sp). It would probably eat you, and only one person has ever survived being eaten by UBB. Then there are those who have a permanant arangment with it...

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 10021
Profile #37
I'm suprised that this thread has actually interested me past the beggining.

PS. I'm not being be sarcastic.

PSS. That wasn't sarcastic either.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #38
PPPS: Thanks, but did we really need to know that? Your post didn't actually add anything to the thread.

—Alorael, who has seen spontaneous evolution debates crop up among ecologists as well, but it's more interesting to see spontaneous evolution appear among the microbiologists. You should see the guys with four arms!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #39
*sigh* Starman obviously isn't fit to be a true Spiderwebber.
quote:
I also forgot about 9/10 of the people on these forums are children.
Starman, just because these boards are kid-friendly (sort of), doesn't mean most of us are kids.
Not many kids come here.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Muffins n' Hell: The End is Near
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

Just so you know, I am working on Muffins n' Hell the scenario.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #40
I think you might be wrong about that. Although my view is slightly skewed. I consider anyone younger than me to be a kid... :P

[ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 15:01: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #41
Today's kids don't want it if it don't got those wham bam dizzle fancy thrueedee graphix, they probably steer clear of us old farts here. Even some helpdesk students don't understand how I can stand stuff like Final Fantasy 1. I'm like its awesome, and even more awesome with the Messiah Wireless controllers(yea I'm hard core about my FF1). They are like you got yer big screen and a 360 why not play that. It's not like I'm that much older than these whipper snappers (25) but there is a graphics divide somewhere in there.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #42
Stillness,

I guess you are using the word "culture" in a different manner than me. Perhaps that is inherent in our respective outlooks. I see culture as those optional things which are more style than substance. Evolution is a real process, much like gravity, radiation, and controversy. You may see, through no inherent fault of your own, that evolution is part of that list of "optionals." But see, I'm a skeptic. I have come to accept evolution as proven, since it was repeatable, and ID as a gimmick, since it isn't even testable, never mind repeatable. That is why I don't consider it to be part of culture.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #43
By macdude22
quote:
...they probably steer clear of us old farts here...
I disagree, as Excalibur himself proves otherwise. If Spiderweb boards had a considerably low number of adults I would not be interested in posting further.

However, such comments are true among the general adolescent population.

quote:
That is why I don't consider it to be part of culture.
I agree upon this matter, as evolution and religion are almost universal and not endemic to particular localities.

--------------------
I dub thee...
BANNED
Member # 10021
Profile #44
I think most of the people on these forums lie about their age so they fit in, but truth be told I am certain atleast 9/10 of the poeple on this forum are younger than 14.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #45
quote:

but truth be told I am certain atleast 9/10 of the poeple on this forum are younger than 14.
I am almost certain that you are completely and utterly wrong.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #46
Indeed, for I can only think of a handful of members under the age of fourteen. I regard the ratio as being closer to one tenth, instead of nine.

I doubt that anyone is deceitful about their age. Older members typically do not display their birth dates, which is my assumption as why you think so.

[ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 16:11: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
I dub thee...
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #47
I am thirteen. While I am not 9/10 of the population, Iffy takes up 9/10 of the space.
But seriously. Starman, who cares about age?

Okay, so people around my age are still developing their brains and are more likely to misbehave. But most people over here don't care about someones age.

Edit -Actually, according to the SW, you are almost right. These boards have not been around here 14 years. So it is actually 10/10 of the population.

[ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 16:28: Message edited by: Iffy ]

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Muffins n' Hell: The End is Near
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

Just so you know, I am working on Muffins n' Hell the scenario.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #48
In other news, has anyone read today's featured Wikipedia article? Because it is certainly more useful than this topic.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #49
I meant the beliefs, practices, traditions in our society. A lot of people in it don’t accept evolution the same as you –and they feel very strongly about it. And while they, and me, don’t doubt evolution is a real process, we don’t accept it for all that some claim it to be. The reason I don’t is because I am a skeptic as well. I accept nothing - spiritual, scientific, or otherwise - unless it makes complete sense to me…especially when it has such strong implications as to our very nature and that of our world.

By the way, general evolution (i.e. "chemicals-to-man" or even "single celled organisms-to-men") is also not repeatable or testable, nor is it the best explanation based on evidence (in the opinion of many). But that has nothing to do with whether or not a thing is part of the culture.

Pages