We are the Sultans of Swing

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: We are the Sultans of Swing
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
I recently stumbled upon this and this.
The poll basically asked whether you like the work in question. The songs/albums in the poll are the top ten from both linked compilations and are arranged in order by rank.

I don't necessarily agree with the Rolling Stone, I'm just curious.

[ Wednesday, January 02, 2008 22:06: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 0 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=ZiJMbIsXVsuj"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=ZiJMbIsXVsuj"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
I dub thee...
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
I'd probably have picked some more albums, but most of the songs I heard individually and not as part of an album.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #2
Yeah, what is this album thing you speak of? Am I saying that right? Album?

You'd think that music would be a timeless thing, but no. Most of these songs are dated and, while I respect some of the artists, most of them suck.

--------------------
You lose.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
It's good to see the Clash getting respect. They worked the music. The Beatles marketed the music.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
I'd probably have picked some more albums, but most of the songs I heard individually and not as part of an album.
I know what you mean. I like Bob Dylan, Beach Boys and Rolling Stones but for some odd reason, I've never heard most of the songs on the given albums.

I found it odd that the top two songs were "Like a Rolling Stone" and a song by the Rolling Stones.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
I'm no good with album names. Since I download most of my music as individual tracks, I can't tell what album it's on.

Only one I really recognized was the Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles, since I watched their acid-trip DVD.

edit: Fixed. Sorry about that. ><

[ Thursday, January 03, 2008 05:19: Message edited by: Toenail Returns ]

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Toenail Returns:

I'm no good with album names. Since I download most of my music via an illegal uploader, I can't tell what album it's on.
You, uh, might want to reread the CoC there, buddy.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

[QUOTE]I found it odd that the top two songs were "Like a Rolling Stone" and a song by the Rolling Stones.
I found it more odd that they were by different bands.

Read the article (partly) and I'd have to say there's a good reason why more classics were chosen then moderns. The classics, quite frankly, are so much better then the newer stuff, on average. In fact, music should have been over after Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. Everything before that was banging sticks on rocks, and everything after that was banging sticks on leather.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
The Two Universal Truthes:
"All I know is that I know nothing" -Socrates
"I think, therefore I am." -René Descartes
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Toenail Returns:

I'm no good with album names. Since I download most of my music as individual tracks, I can't tell what album it's on.

Only one I really recognized was the Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles, since I watched their acid-trip DVD.

edit: Fixed. Sorry about that. ><

BUY SGT PEPPERS! It'll blow your mind.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - bigger than Jesus?
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
By Nikki
quote:
BUY SGT PEPPERS! It'll blow your mind.
Just avoid the LSD, and don't play "A Day in the Life" or "Within You Without You" at loud volumes or it gets to your head.

By Goldenking
quote:
The classics, quite frankly, are so much better then the newer stuff, on average. In fact, music should have been over after Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach.
I honestly think music began to degrade after John Lennon died. The list, however, would do better with the 1812 Overture and Rondo Alla Turca.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

Just avoid the LSD, and don't play "A Day in the Life" or "Within You Without You" at loud volumes or it gets to your head.

I honestly think music began to degrade after John Lennon died. The list, however, would do better with the 1812 Overture and Rondo Alla Turca.

Meh, try the LSD if you want. As for music dying with Lennon, I point you to The Smiths, Sigur Ros, Radiohead and Jeff Buckley.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - bigger than Jesus?
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #11
Music didn't die with Lennon. It was only... mostly dead. Not all dead. I must admit, given the title, I had rather hoped the Straits would make the list.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #12
Before now I thought "Sultans of Swing" was by Bob Dylan. It's an amazing resemblance, but it's annoying how the internet mislabels everything.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
Originally by Goldenking:

quote:
The classics, quite frankly, are so much better then the newer stuff, on average.
Well, I should hope so. Being better than average is sort of a requirement for being a classic. :P

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #14
I love how you say music has died and yet Jazz is still played every day...

It's stupid to compare and rate music anyway, since it's all subjective to taste and what inspires the listener.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Look out, there's a three-headed monkey behind you!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

I love how you say music has died and yet Jazz is still played every day...

It's stupid to compare and rate music anyway, since it's all subjective to taste and what inspires the listener.

Incorrect. Spiderweb is the authoritive source on what is right and what is wrong, by modocracy. It's just reality fluctuates from our rightness.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

The classics, quite frankly, are so much better then the newer stuff, on average. In fact, music should have been over after Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. Everything before that was banging sticks on rocks, and everything after that was banging sticks on leather.
I'm a big fan of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, and even their less famous contemporaries and predecessors, but that's a little harsh. Dvorak? Fritz Kreisler (by any other name)? And leaving aside classical, surely there's some good modern music.

—Alorael, who thinks it's much more likely that your tastes tend towards the old and that old music has the benefit of hindsight. It's easy to weed out the things that were listened to in their day but haven't stood the test of tiime. In fact, that's what the test of time means. Give music now fifty years and then see.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #17
There's some enjoyable (or at least I think so) pre-classical music as well, "Ave Verum Corpus" for example.

--------------------
I dub thee...
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
I think that harp music sucks, and yet it still gets played.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #19
quote:

Is there really any point in listening, then? Just kidding, of course. B)

My dad's still a hippie at heart, so I can just go steal his old Beatles albums.

[ Friday, January 04, 2008 12:13: Message edited by: Toenail Returns ]

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Difference of Our Actions:

quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

The classics, quite frankly, are so much better then the newer stuff, on average. In fact, music should have been over after Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. Everything before that was banging sticks on rocks, and everything after that was banging sticks on leather.
I'm a big fan of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, and even their less famous contemporaries and predecessors, but that's a little harsh. Dvorak? Fritz Kreisler (by any other name)? And leaving aside classical, surely there's some good modern music.

—Alorael, who thinks it's much more likely that your tastes tend towards the old and that old music has the benefit of hindsight. It's easy to weed out the things that were listened to in their day but haven't stood the test of tiime. In fact, that's what the test of time means. Give music now fifty years and then see.

Interesting. I thought that my previous music dosages and the last sentence would clue people off that I was being sarcastic. Classic Music is, for the most part, good, but it doesn't have the same effect I get from listening to the Beatles, or Queen, or any of those other Classic Rock 'N' Roll bands.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #21
With the notable exception of lyrics (not being a big fan of chorale or opera), my experience with (and taste in) classical and classic rock is really rather similar. The emotional content I get from listening to Pink Floyd's "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" and Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony is quite similar. Perhaps the line is not as solid as we think?

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.