I'm Curious

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I'm Curious
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #0
I know I already started a Remembrance-like topic, but it died, and this one is a little late. I got from a friend of mine that his school and city did absolutely nothing to recognize those who died in the World Wars. Is this commonplace where some of you others live?

--------------------
The Survival Elite
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #1
It's a pretty minor holiday. Of course it gets some attention where I live, but for the most part, most of the war dead-honoring occurs on Memorial Day.

--------------------
In today’s America, there are more World of Warcraft players than farmers.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
With holidays popping up all over the place, honoring pretty much everybody, is there any worth to them except as face time? People that will honor, do honor, regardless of some meaningless date, and to restrict your honor to that date is indeed meaningless.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #3
...But there's some recognition nonetheless, which is something.

Perhaps my interest in this is more than passing, since I (a RCAC) am the legacy of what transpired in the First and Second World Wars. It's more than some far-off debate for me.

--------------------
The Survival Elite
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #4
For the benefit of non-Americans: the American Memorial Day is observed in May. It began as a commemoration of soldiers killed in the US Civil War. Remembrance of the dead of later wars was then incorporated.

Canada, the UK, and France instead observe November 11, as the anniversary of the end of their first great modern war, World War I. Americans also mark November 11 as Veterans' Day, but it is not the main American remembrance day.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #5
The Americans still honor the two minutes' silence, right?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge in this area, I'm usually not very knowledgeable about American holidays, even this one.

--------------------
The Survival Elite
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #6
No reason for you to be.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #7
Granted, but it bugs me that I don't know something which has even a slight impact on me.

[ Friday, November 16, 2007 13:34: Message edited by: Dryth'tor ]

--------------------
The Survival Elite
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
How would this have any impact of you if you're a Cannuck? You'd be surprised how ignorant the average Kentuckian is.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
They don't honor World War II veterans, they use it as an excuse to "worship" the government.

I'm not a Jehovah Witness, but I agree with what they profess concerning holidays. The only holiday that appeals to me is Thanksgiving, since it isn't pagan or worldly.

--------------------
"Know and understand this: From the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler comes, there will be seven 'sevens,' and sixty-two sevens." Daniel 9:25
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #10
I don't know about you; but anything that gets me a day or more off work appeals to me.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #11
Dryth'tor, if you are curious about when various countries remember veterans, the Russian holiday is May 9th, the "Victory Day", commemorating the end of World War II.

America was less impacted by WWI (and perhaps even WWII) than by Vietnam War, so the two world wars are not commemorated as strongly here.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

They don't honor World War II veterans, they use it as an excuse to "worship" the government.
Dude, it would probably be healthier for you if you didn't stand outside staring at the sun so much.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #13
quote:

The only holiday that appeals to me is Thanksgiving, since it isn't pagan or worldly.
That's a bit much. I love holidays! (What about Christmas? Valentine's Day? Etc, etc, etc?)

Most holidays are only "pagan and worldly" if you make them that way.

--------------------
"We were meant to live for so much more. Have we lost ourselves?" - Switchfoot
----
My poetry
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

The only holiday that appeals to me is Thanksgiving, since it isn't pagan or worldly.
... or Christian, for that matter.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #15
Well, I rarely see Christmas and Easter being celebrated for their intended purpose.

--------------------
Jesus was a pacifist.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #16
Holidays are only what you make them.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #17
By Aran:
quote:
... or Christian, for that matter.
Exodus 23:16
quote:
Celebrate the Feast of Harvest with the firstfruits of the crops you sow in your field. Celebrate the Feast of Ingathering at the end of the year, when you gather in your crops from the field.
Though it's hardly exclusively Christian.

Clearly, bank holidays are the only sterilized holidays, and thus the only ones we should celebrate.

--------------------
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
- Mark Twain
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
Oyster Egg Day?
St Sneaky Pete Day?
Feast of Boris?

You people suck for not enjoying holidays. Seriously. Lighten up. If you have to hate them, do it in your own little hate place, and not here.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #19
Then let's create a holiday specifically for these boards. It could celebrate spam or insanity.

--------------------
Jesus was a pacifist.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

quote:
Celebrate the Feast of Harvest with the firstfruits of the crops you sow in your field. Celebrate the Feast of Ingathering at the end of the year, when you gather in your crops from the field.
Though it's hardly exclusively Christian.

Well, yes. That would, at best, make it Jewish. :P

[ Friday, November 16, 2007 23:33: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Dryth'tor:

I know I already started a Remembrance-like topic, but it died, and this one is a little late. I got from a friend of mine that his school and city did absolutely nothing to recognize those who died in the World Wars. Is this commonplace where some of you others live?
As a general rule, Americans prefer idle barking about how awesome the war was to actual remembrance of the military personnel's struggles. At the very most, you can get pseudo-fascist maundering about the nobility of the Troops in the Greatest Generation and similar hooah nonsense - usually from the same people who think people with PTSD need to shape up and fly right, and who support slashing funding for the VA and other such benefits.

Give chickenhawks a choice, and they will talk the biggest game they can get away with about killing the enemy - but don't much care to discuss either the horrible accidents or the horrible costs inherent in war. Similarly, when people bother celebrating the two days we have for veterans, oftentimes they use them as an excuse to engage in apology for militarism or snap at whoever they feel is responsible for the US losing its unwinnable misadventure in Indochina.

I'm not pro-military and I don't honestly accept the position that there's anything exceptional or inherently noble about soldiering, partially because there are more difficult careers that involve saving lives rather than ending them. On the other hand, there's no disputing that the work they do is nasty and occasionally necessary, and a strong majority of those killed in the military in a major war were there because they felt they were fighting for their country.

Always be careful about high talk about noble struggles masquerading as remembrance. We've been ruled by cowardly, bellicose savages for so long that the two bleed together and it's difficult to tell where one ends and the other begins; but one is human decency and the other is its opposite.

[ Saturday, November 17, 2007 16:57: Message edited by: Najosz Thjsza Kjras ]
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #22
quote:

Well, I rarely see Christmas and Easter being celebrated for their intended purpose.
Christmas is celebrated exactly as it should be...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #23
Commercially. Don't get me started.

--------------------
The Survival Elite
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24