I'm Curious

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I'm Curious
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Well, I rarely see Christmas and Easter being celebrated for their intended purpose.
IMAGE(http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20031212l.gif)
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #26
A conversation this evening led me to the discovery that Boxing Day is only celebrated in Commonwealth countries. Who knew? But I'd like to hold that up as the ultimate example of a 'worldly' holiday, by any definition. Nobody knows the original purpose, and the only way to celebrate it nowadays is to pack into The Mall and buy as much merchandise marked clearance as your credit card will allow.

--------------------
I was hitchhiking the other day and a hearse stopped. I said, "No thanks, I'm not going that far."
- Steven Wright
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #27
It was once supposed to be about packing stuff into boxes — either Christmas gifts you didn't like, or old things replaced by new gifts, or just leftovers — and giving it to charity.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #28
Wikipedia gives several suggestions for the origin but not that one. If you have a better source, I'd be interested to hear about it; the article doesn't sound very authoritative.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #29
Alec :rolleyes:

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Alec :rolleyes:
Prancing about in your religion tends to expose you to other viewpoints on said religion. It is best to keep your beliefs close to the chest, and concentrate on those things that we have in common. By criticizing others for their opinions, you only weaken your own.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #31
The comic seems to support Excalibur's signature as well. Imagine the controversy if we found out Jesus didn't like how we celebrated Christmas.

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Shard of Fire:

The comic seems to support Excalibur's signature as well. Imagine the controversy if we found out Jesus didn't like how we celebrated Christmas.
Wouldn't surprise me though

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #33
The important thing is that Jesus hasn't told us anything about it.

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry

Pages