Raise your hand if you LOVE Linear RPG's!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Raise your hand if you LOVE Linear RPG's!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
In many ways, MUDs already do (and have been doing for a long time) what you want. Shadowbane is also a step in the right direction, and it's free now. I think that's a bad sign, though. The market wants WoW.

—Alorael, who thinks could be happy very easily. All he needs to do is make a game in which your party consists of premade characters with personalities and he'll have KotOR with worse graphics and better everything else. Except Star Wars. Maybe.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #26
Tales of Symphonia is one of my all-time favorite RPGs. While in its core it is pretty linear, there are lots of side quests and small choices that have minor impact on the plot. I've played the game through six times, even though it takes about 50 hours for one playtrough, just to see all the possible pairings.

Linearity can be as much of a boon than a bane. It all depends on how well other aspects of the game support its way of storytelling.

--------------------
Life is a neverending carneval where everyone has multiple costumes. I just hope mine are pleasing to the eye.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #27
My Gamecube broke right after my party had ascended to the realm of the angels. :(
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #28
A lot of the pre-made character and story thing can be subjective, of course. As a matter of taste, the pre-made characters in KoTOR appeal to me more than these:

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/25/Grandia_coverart.jpg/256px-Grandia_coverart.jpg)

I like Anime, but I'm not a 12-year old, so the kiddie characters just turn me off.
Apprentice
Member # 5246
Profile #29
This is where it was at (and still is):

IMAGE(http://www.2disbettersoftware.com/images/wizardry7_2.gif)

Crusader's of the Dark Savant.

On topic though, this has been pretty informative.

I think there is a sweet spot though where linear stories are allowed to breath in large worlds meant to be explored.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #30
So your main complaint is with world size?

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BoaEdit
Warrior
Member # 6714
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by WiKiSpidweb:

Larger world means larger game, larger games usually means more enjoyment, so long as the gameplay itself is fun and the story isn't stretched or affected by the larger world size.

--------------------
Well that signature was out of date, since I've not been here in forever.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #32
Are large games necessarily better though? It seems in every major RPG I've played, I reach a point maybe four-fifths of the way through when I acheive a state of fatigue. It's as though you know that the plot is approaching its climax (usually it's after a or THE big story revelation) and yet you still know that there will be several hours of annoying dungeon crawling between you and the final boss. It's definitely been the case for me in the Final Fantasy series. Has anyone else experienced this?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #33
There's usually a point where the game starts to have repetitive elements. There may be new monsters and a different subplot, but it's similar to something you've done before.

In Avernum 4, there were two places where the opponent split into 4 images where only one took damage. You knew how to deal with this the second time around. Different stories about them and what you fight around them, but same basic solution.
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
KOTOR had so much potential! And they really did put a lot of effort in the story and depth of characters. They just didn't give you a big enough sandbox to experience it in!
Yes - that's my feeling too. I *loved* KOTOR I and II, but I felt very restricted by how little of the terrain I could explore. Particularly having just played Morrowind.

Oblivion was brilliant, superb, but it lacked the originality of the gameworld of Morrowind, or Spiderweb games. I think they probably thought it was best to "play safe" with a basic mediaeval theme for such an enormous and costly game, and perhaps they were right, but I look forward to Elder Scrolls V being a bit more interesting and original as a game world.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Apprentice
Member # 5246
Profile #35
Then you must really be looking forward to Fallout 3!? I can't wait for this game to be out. It's going to be a huge RpG and it's going to finally be Sci-fi! I'm pumped.

As for big game worlds being a burden. The only game I see being referenced is Final Fantasy, and that game is pretty Linear.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by 2disbetter:

As for big game worlds being a burden. The only game I see being referenced is Final Fantasy, and that game is pretty Linear.
Okay, how about Daggerfall? It's a big sprawling game with a big sprawling world that ends up being a bit of a big sprawling mess.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5246
Profile #37
Daggerfall was in my opinion the first attempt at really creating a large sprawling world as you put it. I would say it was a first of it's kind, and therefore had the expected failures.

It was still a good game.
Apprentice
Member # 5246
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by WiKiSpidweb:

Yes.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #39
That's purely then a matter of game content, which is directly correlated with developmental budget and time issues. Unfortunately, game developers are expected to craft a product that will return a profit.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #40
If all you want is a huge game world, you can't get much bigger than WoW. Granted, the plot is fragmented (i.e. non-existent), but still the world is huge.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BoaEdit
Apprentice
Member # 5246
Profile #41
Don't even get me started on WoW.

Yes it's huge, but it's also fragmented, in that the dugeons are instanced. I don't like that, as it detracts from realism.

WoW has very little depth, this is a HUGE problem for me. Depth is not just a story line, I need complexity. I don't want a game a 5 year old could play and excell in.

WoW is just that. WoW in no way is what I'm looking for.

Star Wars Galaxies when it first came out was very spot on. It had a very rich character development process, rich economy, great combat system, and a really well thought out crafting system. It was ruined becuase it tried to model itself after WoW.

Yes I hate WoW.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #42
*raises hand*

Sub-genre doesn't matter so much to me as far as RPG's go. If it's done well it's good. I liked Kotor I & II. There were a lot of options in character development and even in non-PC development, especially in II. I think depth matters more than linearity, but non-linearity is definitely a plus.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #43
What do people her think of FF11? I have played it a bit and found it rather fun. It seems like a big world, but I can't say what the plot is like because I never got far along in the game. As soon as I bootcamp my Mac I can start playing again.

--------------------
Rahhar...
Apprentice
Member # 8016
Profile #44
I'm a big fan of Jeff's game since most games try to give a little too much freedom
I like it when I don't have to search hard for a hint at what I'm supposed to do, but a little change is always nice.

Pages