Jeff on programming

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Jeff on programming
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #0
For those who haven't checked out what's new, Jeff writes on programming. Since some of you are working on reading his code for Blades of Exile it seems appropriate.

Congratulations Jeff on getting paid to state the obvious. Of course they didn't teach this when I learned programming almost 30 years ago and it still doesn't seem to be.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Of course they didn't teach this when I learned programming almost 30 years ago and it still doesn't seem to be.
Huh?

We were taught how to comment properly. We weren't taught about #define, because it doesn't exist in Java. We did, however, get drilled about using comprehensive variable and function names (neither too long nor too short) and error handling (which Java does do more conveniently).

Our software engineering course covered pretty much all of this...

Edit:

But the labels on this picture really made me laugh.

IMAGE(http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-clear-code/figure1.jpg)

[ Thursday, May 31, 2007 03:48: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #2
By Aran:
quote:
Huh?
I don't think that Randomizer is primarily a programmer. No offense, but experience has taught me that engineers and their ilk have lousy code maintainance skills (admittedly, there's more to their jobs than programming, but still...).

And commenting each line of code isn't a bad idea... when you're writing in an assembly language.

--------------------
I saw a sign: "Rest Area 25 Miles". That's pretty big. Some people must be really tired.
- Steven Wright
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
It's only later I discovered documenting every single SDF and such is a must. When I first started coding for BoA, I didn't document anything. When I probably was about a quarter into WtRM (that expression sounds really odd... Is it correct English?), I started documenting SDFs and other stuff. In TNS, I document every tiny detail; I learned my lesson.

So, if I had read this article before I started coding for BoA, it would have spared me some time and hassle.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

When I probably was about a quarter into WtRM (that expression sounds really odd... Is it correct English?)
Yes, or you could say the full length version which would be.

quote:
When I probably was about a quarter of the way into WtRM

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Johann Georg Faust:

We were taught how to comment properly. We weren't taught about #define, because it doesn't exist in Java. We did, however, get drilled about using comprehensive variable and function names (neither too long nor too short) and error handling (which Java does do more conveniently). IMAGE(http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-clear-code/figure1.jpg)[/QB]
I'm jealous. You actually got to learn something in Java. My teacher basically just said read the book and figure it out on your own. Hell, I completely stopped trying to read the chapters after Ch 3 and just copied down examples and experimented with pieces of them 'til I got the stuff to work in my programs. Comments on the examples in the book were the only reason I was able to BS my way through the class.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
IMAGE(http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-clear-code/figure3.jpg)
OH NOES

Er, in other news, this article makes me wonder how intelligent my comments on my BoA scripts are. They're usually non-existent, and when they do exist (as in the HLPM), they're pretty much stating the obvious.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #7
IMAGE(http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-clear-code/figure3.jpg)

Now THAT looks like fun! :P

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
Owned? Unless aliens that reach the bottom of the field alive (without touching my ship) hurt me somehow (or the "laser pew pew" reloads really slowly or takes like 5 shots to take one down), I'm pretty sure I could get out of that wave with 3 ships left.

[ Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:09: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

When I probably was about a quarter into WtRM (that expression sounds really odd... Is it correct English?)
I think "When I was probably about a quarter into WtRM" sounds more natural.

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #10
"Congratulations Jeff on getting paid to state the obvious."

Word.

Though I question the obviousness of any of it. It's very much a "my own painful experience" piece. A lot of people learn to code, like me, out in the wild, these techniques don't just teleport into your head. They must be found out the hard way.

Thanks to this thread for so far not engaging in any Slashdot-style nitpickery. ("You used #define instead of const in omglol n00b.")

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
I learnt programming from the engineering department, but spent years updating other people's programs.

"Comments? We don't need no stinking comments."

Trying to figure out what Fortran variables do (only 6 characters allowed) when you are taught to use generic terms is frustrating since the comment section at the beginning to define all terms is never there.

Exams were try to figure out what porgramming mistake occurs in each section of code.

Jeff -

Any chance that will see the Alien game?
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #12
"Jeff -

Any chance that will see the Alien game?"

It's totally vaporware, I think. I haven't see it in any stores. But there's a wikipedia page that might have a release date or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_invaders

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
Vaporware? But I'm sure I've see---

Oh wait, never mind.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Space Invaders is practically a game programmers' rite of passage. Hello World, then Space Invaders. That's how it's done.

—Alorael, who thinks Breakout is also on the list. Maybe Asteroids for the ambitious.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #15
I did Space Invaders AND Asteroids.

I like Jeff's writing style. Reading that article makes me want to go and work on something just for kicks.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Upon Fire:

Space Invaders is practically a game programmers' rite of passage. Hello World, then Space Invaders. That's how it's done.

—Alorael, who thinks Breakout is also on the list. Maybe Asteroids for the ambitious.

Asteroids more ambitious than Space Invaders? Sure, you have to implement steering in two dimensions rather than one, and things like momentum and inertia. But on the other hand, floating rocks need no artificial intelligence.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #17
It don't take no Deep Blue to march back and forth pissing dollars.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
True dat.

I just have some kind of irrational awe of computer programs using tactics, even if it's completely primitive.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Space Invaders aliens have no tactics. In most variations they fire at random. In some they make a token effort at aiming towards you, but it's still at a randomly determined time and on a trajectory that's a simple matter of finding lengths and widths.

—Alorael, who thinks Asteroids navigation and random rock generation is slightly more difficult to produce. Not much more, but slightly. Asteroids requires some graphics, though, so you have to either learn to use sprites or become a master of various drawing functions.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. (help, get involved!)
quote:
References

1. ^ a b Taito men talk legendary games. Edge. Future. Retrieved on 2007-05-07.
2. ^ a b c Kevin Bowen. The Gamespy Hall of Fame. GameSpy.com. GameSpy.
3. ^ Giles Richards. A life through video games. The Observer. Guardian. Retrieved on 2007-05-07.
4. ^ Williams, Kevin (2003-02-05). Arcade Fantastic (Part 1). Retrieved on 2006-11-20.
5. ^ Space Invaders - Tips. The Ultimate Space Invaders Shrine. Retrieved on 2007-05-21.

Makes me wonder how Wikipedia manages itself. I was rather insulted that they called their waco siege article "weasel worded"

IBM? I haven't seen one of those in ages.

--------------------
WWJD?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #21
Why were you insulted? I mean, unless you wrote the article...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #22
No, I didn't create that article. I was insulted because I use that article in a lot of debates concerning the government, and it isn't as credible if it claims to be "weasel worded."

--------------------
WWJD?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #23
I want to play Kill Bad Aliens.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #24
I've seen my little brother playing something eerily similar to that before. Yet, Jeff's last post has a self-explanatory link, It happens to be called Space Invaders.

--------------------
WWJD?

Pages