Release the old games as freeware?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Release the old games as freeware?
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #0
I think it would be a good idea to release the older games as freeware. Quite where the line is drawn for old and new is up to Jeff, but i think it would really help to advertise the newer games and the works of SpiderWeb Software.

Discuss.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Well, the source for BoE just got released. I'm not sure exactly what Jeff has in mind for the Exile Trilogy at this point, but it already has a hefty price discount.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #2
Exactly, but i think many people might be put off by it being shareware, and also it's a cheap way of getting people to enjoy the series so they will buy the newer games.

I mean, Jeff can't be turning much of a profit with the prices as they are.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #3
Truthfully, in this day & age, the Exile games aren't exactly the best marketing tool to use. Good games, but too many people can't get over the graphics.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #4
In the same regard as not making much profit, any sales he does have, after credit card frees, is essentially 100% profit. He's made back the cost of the games by now, so by having a discounted price Jeff can still bolster sales while raking in a little extra cash. I can see releasing them as shareware when sales drop to close to 0 though, at that point you've probably sold all the copies you are going to.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
Jeff always makes some sales since after someone plays the newest game, they go and look for something else to play. Most people can't wait a year until the next one. This is a rare occurance where an extra game was released.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #6
Well, people still buy the Exile series, but transforming Richard White Games into freeware sounds practical.

--------------------
WWJD?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Richard White is not Jeff's to make free.

—Alorael, who thinks BoE is all the publicity Spiderweb needs and then some. Spiderweb's best work isn't made by Spiderweb and that's just fine.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #8
I suppose, but it's not strictly 100% profit if you take into account admin. fees and shipping prices, etc.

I still think they should be released as freeware, as it would help to get new fans hooked.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Alorael:

Richard White is not Jeff's to make free.
Yea, for the Almight White knows no master, being a power unto himself! (etc.)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Well, people still buy the Exile series, but transforming Richard White Games into freeware sounds practical.
Weapons of sanity destruction have tight export controls.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by jamesmcm:

I suppose, but it's not strictly 100% profit if you take into account admin. fees and shipping prices, etc.

I still think they should be released as freeware, as it would help to get new fans hooked.

Do you have a degree in microeconomics? If not, then with all due respect, where exactly do you get off telling Jeff, a man who has run a successful business for over a decade, how to run his business?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #12
Haha, i was just giving my opinion.

It is ultimately up to Jeff whether he makes them freeware or not.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #13
What, degrees in microeconomics are required to know how to run a business well now? :confused:

Just because a business is successful does not mean it is perfect, and just because someone doesn't have a degree doesn't mean they have no ability to discern good business sense.

Not saying the guy's right, but challenge his argument rather than trying to disqualify him from having an opinion, eh?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
I do not think that jamesmcm has done much to qualify himself to have an opinion at this point.

--------------------

Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #15
quote:
I do not think that jamesmcm has done much to qualify himself to have an opinion at this point.
Well Jeff is in America (like me).
These boards were made in America.
So these boards are in America, where you can make opinions without being hanged.

In other words, people give opinions whether you like it or not. But no loopholes for those Ed like people :P

Back to topic: I really can't say anything about this except that this idea sounds interesting

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
I'm afraid of Americans... I'm afraid of the world.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #17
In all honesty I don't think the asking price of the Exile is all that much. As soon as I get sheep saver running I plan on buying all 4 games.
Apprentice
Member # 8406
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by I am a 20ft high, flaming muffin:

quote:
Well Jeff is in America (like me).
These boards were made in America.
So these boards are in America, where you can make opinions without being hanged.

In other words, people give opinions whether you like it or not. But no loopholes for those Ed like people :P

Back to topic: I really can't say anything about this except that this idea sounds interesting

go take a hike.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #19
I was just saying my point.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #20
Study: 38 Percent Of People Not Actually Entitled To Their Opinion
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #21
I think this ugliness has gone on long enough.

Releasing a game for free is a bad idea. You run a successful business by selling stuff for more than you paid for it.

Giving a game away for free for publicity is a bad idea. My demos are already free downloads I give away for publicity. But they are selling actual, concrete games you can buy right now, instead of the vague idea of some company called Spiderweb Software that sells something you might want to buy sometime, maybe, after most of your free time has already been eaten by the free game.

In other words. I go to a lot of trouble to get downloads of my games. When I get a product in front of someone, I want it to be selling something to them, like, right now.

But you had every right to ask the question, and it was a reasonable one. And I have a reasonable answer why not.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com