Deathmatch Tournament -- Round One, Part Two

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Deathmatch Tournament -- Round One, Part Two
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

This isn't a popularity contest for one reason that goes by the name of Slartucker. The votes and the reasoning show who has more support and firepower, but when it comes down to the judging, it's Slarty who decides who wins and who loses. See R1, P1 for proof. While most of the wins went the way of the voting and reasoning, two of the winners actually had less votes overall. In Nikki vs. Nemesis, Nikki had 82% of the votes, but it was Nemesis who won.
No, Nioca, you don't understand the point. I'm not talking about Slartucker. He did his job with, for me at least, surprising objectiveness for all I can say. It's the others, us, normal members, I talk about. What Zeviz said is exactly what I meant. He usually voted for the ones he liked. I understand his motives, and I don't say I did it any different. I voted for Nikki, and why? Because I like and respect him. It's human nature I suppose, but don't say the voting part by members is objective. It's not.

Calling it a popularity contest isn't really a good description, in hindsicht, but it's certainly based on member's popularities, which is why I was so surprised to win at round one.

I didn't vote for Muffin, for the same reason as Zeviz didn't.

Nikki: Calm down, okay? There are several members here like Nioca and Nicothodes and Nemesis, that I, for one reason or another, can't "hold apart" (couldn't think of any better way to say it in English; this is in fact a Dutch way to say it...), which means I forget about sexs. Sorry for that, but it happens to me a lot. I had the same problem with Latin words, mind you: rex, regnum, regina... Mix them all up once in a while.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

There are several members here like Nioca and Nicothodes and Nemesis, that I, for one reason or another, can't "hold apart"
In English, it's "tell apart".

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #52
Zorro is not Zeviz.
You were talking about Zorro in that post.

My method of choosing whom to vote for is:
1. Is there a good joke I can make?
2. If not, is one of the fighters obviously far more powerful than the other?
3. If not, will one of the fighters give opportunity for more fun battles in the future?
4. If not (and only in that case), which of the two would I rather see advance?
If somebody tries very hard to be annoying, I might look for a way to justify their loss, but normally my decision is made long before we get to the last tie-braking question.

[ Thursday, May 03, 2007 11:58: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #53
I am intelligent, I just haven't shown it.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #54
This from the man behind EVOL? I'm disappointed, Zeviz. Truly and deeply disappointed. I, for one, make all my decisions on the basis of who has slipped me bigger bribes. If neither party is wise enough to do so, I make my choices based on whose victory is most likely to result in future bribes.

—Alorael, who can at least claim to be highly impartial in his method of judgment. Everyone has an equal chance!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #55
Just have to add: by faster, I meant that he walks too slow. He even runs too slow for my tastes. I wish he was on the other side of the map already, but he's still running, still running... The clicking on the map part I didn't know. Excellent.
And now, less OT.

You people have established how you decide on your answers, that's wonderful. Get back to deciding your answers and post them. This is a battle scene!

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Zorro is not Zeviz.
You were talking about Zorro in that post.

Damn! I did it again!! *bangs head on the table*

Nioca: thanks, I knew it was something with "apart," but I couldn't remember what the actual verb was.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #57
Yama, the Vedic and vaguely panoriental judge of the dead, brings you the next...

JUDGE'S OPINION
Round One, Part Two

MATCH #1: Kama vs. Mama.
This is a very tight match... in more ways than one. WKS has no element on the periodic table, so it won't be much use against him. Likewise, Jewels has demonstrated immunity to carnal-based attacks (if anything, the sutras would be likely to heal her). WKS has BoE scenarios, but Jewels has walkthroughs for them, so that's moot. And although Chuck Norris himself is unlikely to bother thinking about helping WKS, he probably has magical sweat that scalds the eyes of his enemies, or something equally ridiculous; so the Baath party is not a factor.

So that leaves us with Jewels, the mother, and WKS, the boy.

You know how the screen turns red when Kefka kills Leo? That's how this one would end, too. Jewels wins with an unshown maneuver that turns the screen red.

MATCH #2: The rat designer vs. the intelligent designer.
Rats aplenty could probably swarm Ash's scenarios, but they'd be unlikely to find their way through SubTerra levels. Wall Ogres, being the unscripted fakes that they are, are presumably immune to the charms of music, and there are too many of them to take down just with a chainsaw. But, being unscripted, they're also unlikely to be able to find the real Ash Lael when they find o element on the periodic table, so it won't be much use against him. themselves in a level full of mitosis victims with Nathan Ashby in their name.

Smoo, unfortunately, is neither immune to chainsaws nor easily doubled; so Ash Lael wins in a triumphant massacre.

MATCH #3: Out of control RP player vs. out of control RP player.
As already noted, the ice spells and Aura of Flames are likely to cancel out. Other minor abilities, such as the golden gun and pizza shield, are all essentially null in the face of the unpredictable storytelling used by both parties.

Zephyr is likely to summon a demon and it is, indeed, likely to turn on him. But Goldenking's double addiction to skribbane and to canisters make him quite likely to attack the demon and incur its wrath, anyway.

Goldenking, however, has one ability that rises above the chaotic frey; that is his professed worship of the deity of the GIFTS. The GIFTS have shown a repugnant tenacity and the ability to endure even the nonsenical changes to reality incurred in Avernum 4. The favor of the Great Spider God/dess tilts this hallucinatory battle in Goldenking's favor.

MATCH #4: Cute (or not) vs. sexy (or not).
Can you say "heterocentric?" We don't know anything about Nico's sexuality, and as for Marlenny, let's not forget her passionate affair with Dareva. So you can't just shrug off the cuteness and sexiness factors because they're girls.

That said, I don't think Nico wants to be dominated, and Marlenny has shown a clear preference for older, rather than younger, partners. So let's move past the romantic gunk.

Nico has three writing utensils whereas Marlenny only has two kinds of memes in her arsenal to block with, so I hand this match to Nico on grounds of numbers... and stabbing ability.

MATCH #5: Molten bread vs. molten rock.
Believe it or not, I read IFM's moniker as "Internal" every time I saw it until Aran's post pointed the true word out to me. Why, I can't say.

Magma Dragoon, meanwhile, is not actually a dragoon; the original Magma Dragoon does possess ranged attacks, but every last one of his attacks is fire-based. So this match isn't getting very far on physical attacks alone.

Demon muffins are definitely not edible. Are you kidding? They're demons! And Magma, being a Guardian, is vulnerable to being swarmed. (He also doesn't have any armor that I've heard of.) Magma's broken Parry skill should keep him safe for a while, but without good magic, he won't be able to defeat the demon muffins too quickly. So yes, Muffin himself has plenty of time to transform. I, for one, do not doubt Muffin's ability to come up with something ridiculous and overpowered to transform into; and the fact that it makes him crazy will make little difference.

Magma's card, however, features one of the more grievous omissions. His mother! There's no way that a harsh homemaker like Mrs. Dragoon is going to be stymied by a muffin, even a burning muffin. Magma Dragoon wins.

MATCH #6: Magic vs. mystery.
I don't know what Zephyr Tempest was smoking, but not even his made-up creatures are immune to NUKE. Nothing is immune to NUKE. Nothing resists NUKE. Nothing stops NUKE. Even Chaos himself cannot avoid taking, at minimum, 100DMG.

The disadvantage, of course, is that even with a lucky 400DMG, NUKE is easily outperformed by high level melee fighters.

Mysterious Man, however, seems to have put all his skill points into lovin', rather than fighting. So... he gets blown up. Repeatedly. Zeviz wins.

MATCH #7: The professor vs. the third dimension.
This is definitely a tough one. Occam's Razor can cut down many of Niemand's powers, and SoT can oversimplify Niemand's scripted functions to the point of uselessness. But even if the Jade Halberd becomes a two-dimensional line, SoT still has to deal with its ancillary acid damage. At the same time, Niemand is going to have a hard time dodging rocks with only two axes to move on. I don't think trinities will avail SoT much either. In the end, this sophisticated fight comes down to a surprisingly blank mano a mano deathmatch, on which I hand the odds to Student of Trinity for the boon his physics knowledge gives him in throwing rocks elegantly and accurately.

MATCH #8: The invisible poster vs. the lurker.
Whatever powers the Lurker has, he doesn't seem to have the ability to see invisible people. Riibu, on the other hand, can map out every last nook and cranny of the arena until there is nowhere left for the Lurker to lurk. Sooner or later, Riibu will find him and take him down.

Thanks again for the good ideas, and look for round two soon.

P.S. I'm somewhat disappointed that the pictures in this round didn't draw more comments. Charo as a Transformer is pretty revolutionary if you ask me, and Captain N is Captain N.

[ Friday, May 04, 2007 10:22: Message edited by: Yama ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #58
I noticed the transformer, and I thought 'what the?'. Then I shrugged and thought, 'oh well, they're slarty's cards'.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #59
Hmm. Only 5/8 this time. Not so good.

Originally by Slartucker:

quote:
(He [MagmaDragoon] also doesn't have any armor that I've heard of.)
Dikiyoba gave him (quite encumbering) armor in Episode 3. But if he took it off for this deathmatch (most likely to increase the odds of getting a second swing), then so be it.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

P.S. I'm somewhat disappointed that the pictures in this round didn't draw more comments. Charo as a Transformer is pretty revolutionary if you ask me, and Captain N is Captain N.

I liked the pictures. I just didn't have anything to say about them, besides asking: Who is the guy in my picture? And while we are at it, is "NUKE" an actual attack in some video game? (That's what it sounds like from your description.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #61
I can't believe I survived the Jade Halberd without having to invoke the Poor Man's Death Star. That was going to be my one hope, but I was too busy to make the argument. Well, maybe it will help in the next round.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #62
8/8, w00t!

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #63
Congratulations to the winners.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #64
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Marl kinda left. Nico wins.

Dude, I made a topic like two weeks ago. My last post was certainly last week. And I didn't "leave" a couple of months ago, I just stopped posting for a while due to the excessive amount of school work. I did say I'd be back, and that was like months ago. I also think Nico would've won, but not because I left. I'd never leave a fight! Nevar! I'm just not the violent killing type, especially with people I like and have not done anything to inspire said rage. I can be violent in a good way though ;)

Also, Riikka looks so damn adorable in that picture.

Edit: fixed quote.

[ Saturday, May 05, 2007 15:27: Message edited by: M. ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #65
quote:
Originally written by M.:

Also, Riikka looks so damn adorable in that picture.

I'll say!

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #66
It is hard to not take things seriously.
I laughed at how he described my "loss".
(I know I would have won if it was real :P )

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.

Pages