To players of Avernum/Geneforge series

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: To players of Avernum/Geneforge series
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
Usually, by reading all the threads, you can tell peoples opinions. But I haven't figured out this...

Poll Information
This poll contains 7 question(s). 41 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=FTXiOdUXSqKv"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=FTXiOdUXSqKv"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
WWJD?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
Well, this is a little ambiguous, since Avernum 4 uses Geneforge graphics, and big chunks of its engine. Regardless, you've left out Exile and Nethergate, so there go all my votes. :P

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #2
The topic was adressed to players of Avernum and Geneforge. I didn't put Exile, because Avernum is pretty much the newer version of it. As far as I know, Nethergate isn't a series.

--------------------
WWJD?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
Yay for indecisiveness!

Dikiyoba.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
This is ridiculous. How can you compare the two interfaces? G4 and A4 are much closer than A1 and A4, but when I want to say Avernum has a better interface that is still too ambiguous. I'll keep my opinions out of this survey.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I didn't put Exile, because Avernum is pretty much the newer version of it.
Except it has different graphics, a different engine, spells, monster abilities, and interface. :rolleyes:

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
Exile should have been included; though the storyline is the same most aspects of how the two series are played and feel are very different.

I really prefer Avernum's (not A4) graphics, interface, dungeons, monsters, spells… to those of Geneforge. Avernum also leaves more options for scenarios than Geneforge does.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #7
I hate to say it, but if Exile was included, would anyone had voted for it? I love the game, but...
1. Since Exile and Avernum have pretty much the same storyline, but Avernum fixed some discrepancies, that cancels out Exile.
2. Avernum has a better engine, graphics, and interface, again canceling out Exile.
3. Exile does have way more spells, but most are pretty much useless. Avernum's spells are all practical.
4. Although the monsters are pretty much the same, Avernum gave them more abilities.

So in conclusion, why speculate why Exile wasn't included when it is indeed inferior! Don't get me wrong, I still love to play the Exile Trilogy every now and again, but Avernum is the better choice. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
That's your opinion, but there are plenty of people here who disagree.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #9
Between the Geneforge engine and the Avernum 1-3 engine, which I'm fairly sure is what Excalibur meant, I choose Geneforge. It's prettier, and I like the real time non-combate movement.

See, oldbies? It's not that hard to make a post without complaining about the topic.

--------------------
You lose.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by 227 Chitrachballons:

So you and those 'plenty of people' would rather play Exile than Avernum. :confused: Please. About 40% of the regular people here have probably never even played Exile, :( let alone would choose it over Avernum.

As I said before, I still like and play Exile to this day, :D but let's be real. Most of the people who like/love Exile are still gonna choose Avernum because of the things listed above. Now tell me that's a lie! :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
"Better engine" is entirely subjective. I find Avernum's graphics almost intolerably ugly, and it's a real barrier to my enjoyment -- Exile is much prettier.

And if you think most of Exile's spells are useless, you just don't know how to use them properly. Of all the spells in BoE, I can think of maybe two that I've never found any use for.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Arch-Mage Solberg:

quote:

So you and those 'plenty of people' would rather play Exile than Avernum. :confused: Please. About 40% of the regular people here have probably never even played Exile, :( let alone would choose it over Avernum.

As I said before, I still like and play Exile to this day, :D but let's be real. Most of the people who like/love Exile are still gonna choose Avernum because of the things listed above. Now tell me that's a lie! :cool:

That's a lie. :cool:

Exile kicks Avernum's scrawny isometric butt.

[ Saturday, March 24, 2007 19:06: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:

quote:

Well, maybe the % is closer to 30, but I believe I made my point.

Oh, and by the way...E=MC? ?=Squared
I just had to say that!

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

Regardless, you've left out Exile and Nethergate, so there go all my votes. :P
Agreed. I can't accurately vote with these choices, so I won't. I really like the graphics and interface of Nethergate and the Avernum trilogy, but Exile's combat is unparalleled in awesomeness As for spells, I think a fusion of Ethe Exile system with the Nethergate system would rock.

[ Saturday, March 24, 2007 19:41: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #15
I believe your point was slaughtered. Three people posted to say that Exile should have been in the poll, and four to say that they greatly prefer it to Avernum.

[ Saturday, March 24, 2007 19:32: Message edited by: 227 Chitrachballons ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Originally by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:
See, oldbies? It's not that hard to make a post without complaining about the topic.
All you have to do is complain about something semi-related to the topic instead!

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

Regardless, you've left out Exile and Nethergate, so there go all my votes.
Are you saying you like the Nethergate engine better than the Avernum one? Ew.

I like 3D better than the old 2D. I like being able to see elevations and walls. The Exile monsters did look better than Avernum's, but I think Geneforge has been great advances when it comes to graphics. Those monsters look great.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #18
Am I the only person who thinks the Geneforge graphics are ugly?

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #19
Add me to the list of people that prefers Exile graphics to Avernum's. Anyone that hasn't played though BoE scenarios is really missing out. Didn't get into it since we were asked to specifically compare Avernum to Geneforge.

I'm not too focused on graphics, so I don't mind Avernum's too much. A4's graphics pretty much killed the game for me. I can't stand the Geneforgish feel in an Avernum setting.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #20
Hey add me to the list who like Exile better than Avernum for spells and graphics and both over Geneforge. Nethergate had a great engine it just never became popular,

You do have to differentiate between the different versions within each series. Avernum 4 borrowed so much from Geneforge that it shouldn't be classed with the other Avernum games.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
quote:

I just had to say that!

Noob.

:P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #22
I'm another one who prefers the Exile graphics, spells and monsters to their Avernum counterparts. And the sound effects, which haven't been mentioned yet.

As for comparing Geneforge and Avernum, I voted "can't make up my mind" on this, partly because of Avernum 4 and Geneforge 4, which are so different from their predecessors that they essentially reverse my view of the two series, but also because it's really all a matter of one thing cancelling out another. For example I prefer the way Avernum 1-3 handles action points, but I prefer the speed of travelling about in Geneforge 1-2. There simply isn't a preponderance of advantages on either side; which engine do I then vote for?

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #23
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:

quote:

Well, maybe the % is closer to 30, but I believe I made my point.

I just had to say that!

Read my name and weep, and you can add me to the Exile bandwagon, although I've just started getting into Avernum. I only like Avernum for its nifty little features like being able to leave one of your characters somewhere and able to pick someone else up, and so forth. That and Ritual of Sanctification doen't take up 50 spellpoints.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #24
Exile is obsolete; it died along with Realmz and other RPGs of the time.

Exile wasn't included because this topic is about Avernum and Geneforge, NOT Exile.

I though most of you guys would get that I meant the first three of each series, since that is how it's split on these boards. Sorry for any confusion caused by this.

[ Sunday, March 25, 2007 11:58: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
WWJD?

Pages