Jeff Really hates RPGS>?!?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Jeff Really hates RPGS>?!?
Apprentice
Member # 4470
Profile #0
Ok, u guys really gotta check this owt, I know this is an old review he made. Anyways, this is a site where the :avernum ~ g0d: is talking about all RPGS- esp final fantasy(??) and his own games.

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/763/763050p1.html <--- here's the link.

<<Sir Jeff, you would really appreate "ALL" your rpg games only if you would get out of your comfort zone and start being a little more competive over online gaming - single player games get "us" gamers no where...>>

One more thing b4 I leave, Jeff I would be a happy "spider" if I could only see your "web" On* the Line* with Others'. Everytime I compare your genuine games with others, I see that all of your games are extreemly realistic in the fantasy Realm. Good job Jeff- keep up the good work.

Human players are forever better than CPUs
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
This was mentioned a while back, if I remember right.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #2
That article suprised me. How can you make good games when you hate them? At first I thought that statement wasn't real, but wouldn't Jeff know by now? :confused:

--------------------
WWJD?
Apprentice
Member # 3612
Profile #3
Jeff says that RPG games waste your time. I agree. I think it's time for an adventure game. However, I think Jeff is afraid they won't sell.

My only adventure game was: Star Trek 25th Anniversary. I really liked it, because it was Sci-fi and Star Trek.

[ Sunday, March 04, 2007 16:56: Message edited by: Gabriel's Horn ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
This article was definitely linked to before... this is the only one of those topics that wasn't locked, I believe.

Anyway, I don't think Jeff really hates RPGs. If he did, he would've stopped making them... it's just the elements of the genre that he mentioned that he seems to hate.

And he's not going to start making online games anytime soon... this has been discussed many, many times. If anything, they're worse than traditional RPGs in terms of "things that Jeff hates". That, of course, and they require servers, bandwidth, constant maintenance...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Tgiiif_2004:

One more thing b4 I leave, Jeff I would be a happy "spider" if I could only see your "web"
Creepy.

As Ephesos said, Jeff was more criticizing online MMORPGs than traditional RPGs. If you compare the amount of grinding done in a MMORPG to that done in a RPG to gain just one level near the middle of the game, the difference in time is staggering.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
There was a game whose designer wrote that by decreasing the experience given by killing monsters to a third of its former level he tripled the length of his game. It was a freeware game that probably wasn't even finished, but it spoke volumes about RPGs.

At this point, I think Jeff would keep churning out RPGs even if he hated them because they make him money. On the other hand, I still don't think he hates them. He may hate parts, but not all of them. And I, for one, will acknowledge that although I can't stand any MMORPG I've ever played (not many, granted) I enjoy the stats and advancement of most single-player RPGs. Progress and number crunching are fun!

—Alorael, who gives the first post high marks for setting a new high mark for circuitous route in requesting Avernum Online. It's a shame to answer it with the standard three-worder: not gonna happen.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #7
Online or multiplayer Geneforge (any of them) would be nice, but that's just wishful thinking on my part. I think pretty much everyone knows that's not gonna happen.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #8
Maybe Apple will take notice, become hopelessly addicted, and give Jeff a team of programmers, artists, etc.

But then the Spiderweb forums as we know them would cease to exist, and become these forums. . .

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #9
Apple already has provided a link to download G4 in their games section online. And SPidweb will never, hopefully, become like that.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
You know, I was going to lock and link to the other thread this was posted in, but given that the other topic is hardly a page long, beyond the first page, and clearly dead, that'd be extremely useless.

So go on.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Strange:

Maybe Apple will take notice, become hopelessly addicted, and give Jeff a team of programmers, artists, etc.
Apple already knows about Spiderweb.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #12
As a matter of interest, Anthony Hopkins, of Hannibal Lector fame, hates acting. He just does it because he's good at it.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #13
Let's face it. The pay's not bad. I'd suffer through a few month's hard work for five million dollars. Or a tenth that. Maybe even a hundredth.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #14
He was critical of fantasy rpg's in general..where do you get just MMORPG'S?

He said the ones he makes and they aren't mmorpg's.....Read a little more carefully.

"And the games I write are no better. They do exactly the same thing. Sure, it might be cool to make a game where your character starts out a level 50 badass and then just trashes bozos. But it just wouldn't sell as well. The addictive, statistic-increasing, time-eating quality isn't the problem with these games. It's the point. "

[ Monday, March 05, 2007 21:56: Message edited by: Fenwik ]
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #15
Did anyone see the movie Lord of War? The main character was a weapons dealer, the whole sell-old-Soviet-weapons-so-Africans-can-genocide-each-other deal. When asked why, he said he did it because he's good at it.

Luckily, Jeff's games don't cause genocide... in real life at least. So I don't care what he thinks as long as he keeps making them.

--------------------
You lose.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
It says something that Apple's page for BoA is better than Spidweb's page for BoA.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Fenwik:

He was critical of fantasy rpg's in general..where do you get just MMORPG'S?

He said the ones he makes and they aren't mmorpg's.....Read a little more carefully.

"And the games I write are no better. They do exactly the same thing. Sure, it might be cool to make a game where your character starts out a level 50 badass and then just trashes bozos. But it just wouldn't sell as well. The addictive, statistic-increasing, time-eating quality isn't the problem with these games. It's the point. "

He said that, but it's not true! This is not the point of an RPG! The point of an RPG is an expansive, realistic world and story that the player is immersed in (hence the term "roleplaying").

However, it is the point of most MMORPGS (which charge by time played, not by copy purchased, and therefore need to occupy even players with a short attention span).

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Jeff:

Sure, it might be cool to make a game where your character starts out a level 50 badass and then just trashes bozos. But it just wouldn't sell as well.
Actually, such games already exist and outsell most RPGs. They are called First Person Shooters.

Advancement in character stats is the main difference between an RPG and an FPS. (There is no reason FPS games can't involve a complicated storyline, NPC interactions, etc.) How much grinding is involved depends on the RPG, because different people have different tastes. Spidweb games tend to require almost no grinding. On the other extreme, MMORPGs are mostly about grinding, because it's impossible to come up with enough original content to keep players occupied for months without resorting to repetitive activities.

[ Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:31: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.