Nethergate II

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Nethergate II
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #0
I personally hope that there is a new engine with the same story, because I didn't have the patience to eat food every so often so I didn't end up getting the game. However, I have heard that it's the best of Jeff's games so I want to play it, but stll don't have the patience to. What do you think the game will be like?

Gahhhh!! Sorry, I didn't notice my error. The Same Graphics, Same Story option was supposed to be Same Graphics, New Story.

[ Saturday, January 27, 2007 08:51: Message edited by: Kyrek ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 18 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=LhPUoLaFcydV"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=LhPUoLaFcydV"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #1
Huh? Have you actually read this:

Jeff on Nethergate v2.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #2
You actually don't have to eat food manually; it will automatically eat. You just have to make sure you don't run out, which shouldn't be a problem at all (It's lying around everywhere) unless your in Annwn, where it's supposed to be a problem.

btw, I would be quite interested in reading this debate that I supposedly had. I've gone through all the Nethergate 2.0 topics that I could find. (There are quite a lot of them), and I saw that I have posted in most, if not all of them. However, I fail to see this debate between Synergy and myself anywhere.

[ Saturday, January 27, 2007 08:31: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #3
Hmmmmmm.....

Thats strange. I seem to remember there being that debate. Oh well.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
Not only do you not have to eat food manually, you can't. There's no "eat food" command. So I'm a bit confused at how that made you give up the game.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
It's a combination of memories. Avernum has food you can eat but don't have to. Nethergate has food you are obligated to consume automatically. Put together it could be terrible, but it wasn't.

—Alorael, who always starts with enough Woodscraft that his food supply tends to go up instead of down over time. You don't even need to purchase food. And if you hate it that much there's always the editor.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #6
I'm sorry, I can't remember the game very well, I only remember I didn't like the engine and that I didn't like the food. I assumed that that was why.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
Actually what I would like is more to do in the game. An extra promised dungeon will be nice.

Food is rarely a problem although as Romans I did run out due to low woodscraft, but starvation isn't that bad. There is plenty of food in Annwn if you find the secret passages to it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Kyrek:
I didn't like the food.
Not a huge selection but I thought it was alright. I just want to be able to drink the wine.
quote:
Randomizer:
There is plenty of food in Annwn if you find the secret passages to it.
I wonder if Jeff will take secret passages out of Nethergate 2. I hope he does, though I am probably the only one.

--------------------
You lose.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #9
Of course you're the only one you vile secret passage hater! Secret passages should abound, and only be located by an unhealthy amount of bashing into walls!

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Hear hear!

—Alorael, who always avoided the food in Annwn because eating in the land of the dead is a bad idea. Maybe Annwn isn't supposed to be a long, gruelling starvation and healing marathon.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #11
I wish I could get Nethergate to work on my computer. :( I never got as far Annwn. I think I'll try again and see if I can fix whatever's wrong.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
—Alorael, who always avoided the food in Annwn because eating in the land of the dead is a bad idea.
I did the same thing the first time I played. I was sure that if I picked up any food, I would be trapped there forever. Or at least six months out of the year.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #13
Aha!!!

I've finally found where the debate was. It was in this topic not the original Nethergate II one. I guess the debate is much smaller than I remember it, but at least I'm remembering something.

[ Sunday, January 28, 2007 05:25: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #14
You need to fix the link.

All I'm interested in is the plot and playing. Graphics, food, and other trivia can stay the same. Using the Geneforge 4 inventory system would be nice, but it isn't needed.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Randomizer:
All I'm interested in is the plot and playing. Graphics, food, and other trivia can stay the same. Using the Geneforge 4 inventory system would be nice, but it isn't needed.
You don't consider 'food' part of 'playing'? I agree on the Geneforge 4 inventory system. But then, the way I see it, the more like Geneforge, the better.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #16
It's fixed.
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #17
I cannot wait for this game. I always felt that it never got the response it deserved - perhaps because it was a diversion from the Exile series that was so amazingly popular at the time. I remember people on here relatively recently swearing they would never play Avernum because it wasn't as good as Exile, stuff like that.

But Nethergate was a very original, very interesting and very atmospheric game. I rarely play RPGs twice, but with Nethergate you have to play it twice ;)

My only real wish for change is that the dungeons become revisitable. It was very frustrating having to leave stuff behind because of weight, and not being able to get into the dungeons ever again. Particularly for gamers like me that like to nook and cranny and sell loads of basic weapons and build up great hoards of gold and artefacts.

Gosh I feel quite excited about the thought of Nethergate again! It was my first RPG after telnet muds, and was what caused me to fall in love with the whole Spiderweb thing. It's been nearly ten years.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

Secret passages should abound, and only be located by an unhealthy amount of bashing into walls!
Quoted for truth.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has come to the realization that cauliflower is actually the seed of a killer alien race who plan on conquering our planet by slowly assimilating our DNA.
He is currently working on a solution to this problem.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Istara:

My only real wish for change is that the dungeons become revisitable.

The dungeons in Nethergate [i]are[/i] revisitable.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Archmage Alex:
Secret passages should abound, and only be located by an unhealthy amount of bashing into walls!
When people say things like this, I can't tell if they are being sarcastic or if they truely are that sadistic. I think the worst dungeons ever tend to be spider lairs, where not looking for secret passages isn't even an option, since you need to use them to get through the dungeon. There there's the odd spider appearing out of nowhere when they use the passages themselves. I really hate those places.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #21
I believe he was being serious. I for one loved the secret passages and sorely missed them in Avernum 4.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #22
quote:
I'm sorry, I can't remember the game very well, I only remember I didn't like the engine and that I didn't like the food. I assumed that that was why.
A nice selection of spanish flavoured dishes would be nice. Or something from the Gauls. Or that stuff Asterix would drink - made by Getafix.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
Originally by Micawber:

quote:
I believe he was being serious. I for one loved the secret passages and sorely missed them in Avernum 4.
I like most secret passages as well. They're easy to spot (unlike hidden levers and chests) because there's an empty area and a spell that will help you find it.

Dikiyoba thinks the Black Cube in A2 is just evil, though.

Edit: Added quote.

[ Sunday, January 28, 2007 13:11: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I like most secret passages as well. They're easy to spot (unlike hidden levers and chests) because there's an empty area and a spell that will help you find it.
... which is precisely why they're pointless.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages