George Bush

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: George Bush
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #0
When George Bush recently set another 20 000 troops into Iraq, which is exactly what his advisors told him not to do, I started to wonder whether George Bush was finally out of anyone's control. My guess now is that he's not going out quietly, and will try to attack another Middle Eastern country, that has weapons of mass destruction(although the country probably won't).

But I dn't know which country. My guess is Lebanon or Pakistan, although I'm not really sure.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #1
I feel an upcoming conflict between the US and Iran.

EDIT: Sssspelling.

[ Friday, January 26, 2007 08:35: Message edited by: Sarasaphilia ]

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
The whole "commander-in-chief" thing just gets ridiculous when you get someone like W in charge... being able to override Congress's decisions as well as the general will of the people is a bit much. I just really wish I had even a vague idea what the man was thinking, because then I feel like it might make some sense.

That said, I had to register for the draft recently, so I feel a bit more obligated to follow this sort of thing.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #3
Out of control? I think not. All you need to do is watch Cheney during the State of the Union to know who the real power in the U.S. is. I am tempted to buy Bush a little hat, like the ones the give trained monkeys.

Also, traditional bartering methods: You say 20,000; they say 0, you meet in the middle at 10,000. Bush still gets troups in Iraq.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Sarasaphilia:

I feel an upcoming conflict between the US and Iran.

The general concensus in our school's international science circles is that Israel will be taking aggressive action in Iran long before the US does, mostly because they anticipate us to still be cleaning up in Iraq by the time Israel's patience runs out.

As for Bush being out of control, well, his actions make sense for a short term solution; however, I am concerned about the long-term effects of using such large amounts of foreign (to them) military for peacekeeping.
Frankly, what this looks like to me is simply that Bush is continuing with this strategy because he doesn't want to admit to the possibility that it's the wrong way to go.
Pulling all troops out now would likely ignite a civil war, he has that point. I do wonder, however, if civil war is not inevitable.
I have to agree with Ephesos.
It would be nice to actually know his rationale.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin recently discovered that talcum powder is useful for leaving footprints all over the bathroom floor.
He says that it has no relevance to anything in particular, but it's definitely something that he may eventually need to know.
Right.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
Isn't it great when grown men insist on showing all the world their toys?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
We probably won't attack Pakistan, since they really do have weapons of mass destruction. Iran is working on them for sure, which would make them the next 'legitimate' target.

I don't really have a problem with conquering and occupying these countries. From a historical perspective, it should work out in the end. We conquered and occupied Germany, and now they are everyone's friend (they may not like us, but a war between us ever again is laughable). We conquered and occupied Japan, and they're awesome now. We did the same to South Korea, and just look at them compared to North Korea which we conquered and ten backed out of. The way I see it, no matter how extreme people's views may be, things change when their lives start becoming easier under peace and capitalism. Suddenly, people would rather go get some McDonalds instead of attacking the infidel scum, or play World of Warcraft in the case of South Korea.

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I just really wish I had even a vague idea what the man was thinking, because then I feel like it might make some sense.
Based on his actions, here's what Bush may be thinking...

quote:
!
15 brownie points if you get the reference.

Anyway, this comic here pretty much presents a lot of what I think about this.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #8
If you blame Bush for sending in more soldiers, then you should keep in mind that the military has been requesting much higher troop levels ever since the beginning of the war. Congress may not agree entirely with this, but it is still a valid point.

Bush is not crazy. He has just made some very unpopular decisions. And he has been wrong on matters so important that it is embarrassing.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #9
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Bush has demonstrated insanity (crazy) by repeating actions and expecting different results than previous ones.

--------------------
quote:

Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Bush has demonstrated insanity (crazy) by repeating actions and expecting different results than previous ones.
I am unsure as to whether that defition is official, or simply in keeping with the way Einstein looked at it. Nothing against Einstein, but if the latter was true, I doubt it would hold up in court if he was trying to please insanity for his crimes against humanity.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Which raises a different point: Does the Hague commonly allow pleading insanity? I mean, I've never heard of any dictator doing that...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Zephyr Tempest:

Here's a better one:

http://www.angryflower.com/surgin.html

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #13
Except the US doesn't recognize the jurisdiction of the Hague.

It's going to be a long two years.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Except the US doesn't recognize the jurisdiction of the Hague.

It's going to be a long two years.

Imagine that. There is a cartoon specific to what I was thinking.

IMAGE(http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/Z/-/bush_rose_colored.jpg)

Go figure...

--------------------
quote:

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #15
By calling every politician you don't like a war criminal and calling every civilian death a genocide you make the terms lose their original power. So when real war crimes and genocides happen, nobody cares because the words have been thrown about so much that people just don't realize the difference. (See the lack of action in Sudan, Ruanda, etc.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
You're right. Now who cried genocide? You may be over-reacting.

Bush may be a lot of things, but he'll never be a defendant in any trial related to his conduct in the White House.

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #17
quote:
I say that's a pretty acurate description of him.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #18
quote:

IMAGE(http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/Z/-/bush_rose_colored.jpg)

Once again!

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #19
In regards to whether Israel will attack Iran over it's nuclear program -

The US gave Israel an ambiguous response so we can cheer or condemn them based upon the result. It's similar to the one LBJ gave Israel before the 6 Day War.

Israel denies rumors that it is sending bombers on training missions to Gilbraltar in preparation.

The problem with troop surge is that there is no indication that they will be used effectively. Plus there is already an equipment shortage for the troops that are already there,
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #20
quote:

That is not a valid point because it is very likely that he will get different results each time because circumstances keep changing. The real problem is of course that George Bush started a war in Iraq to root out terrorism. Capturing Baghdad and rolling American tanks over the desert would make sense if all the terrorists responsible were kind enough to conveniently concentrate themselves into an easy to blow up headquarters in that one country. But clearly this is not the case.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #21
The troop levels in Iraq fluctuate by several thousand every month anyway. I seriously doubt going from 140,000 to 160,000 will make a huge difference.
It might make a little difference if all 20,000 was dropped in the Baghdad area, but really all that is is more targets. It isn't enough men to stop the hit and run tactics in the city. We are already passed the 3,000 deaths mark (of soldiers), need make it more?
I don't like this war business at all.

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:36: Message edited by: Leftover Sauerkraut ]

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

In regards to whether Israel will attack Iran over it's nuclear program -

The US gave Israel an ambiguous response so we can cheer or condemn them based upon the result. It's similar to the one LBJ gave Israel before the 6 Day War.

Israel denies rumors that it is sending bombers on training missions to Gilbraltar in preparation.

The problem with troop surge is that there is no indication that they will be used effectively. Plus there is already an equipment shortage for the troops that are already there,

Meh. Israel won't do it. They may have ace pilots, but they can't risk this gamble. I would be pleased if they did it, but I bet many people espaciall in Europe will only cry about the "poor Iranians," and fail to recognize a possible threat ebing everted.

As you said, though, they don't really have he manpower or equipment at the moment.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #23
quote:
Meh. Israel won't do it. They may have ace pilots, but they can't risk this gamble. I would be pleased if they did it, but I bet many people espaciall in Europe will only cry about the "poor Iranians," and fail to recognize a possible threat ebing everted.

Possible threat. You can't start a war because of a possibility. There is a possibility that England will wage war on the world, but that doesn't mean that we should attack them. Attacking somebody, or a lot of somebodies in this case, is stupid.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #24
Likely threat would be better wording. Sadly, in the world of actual politics it is usually a matter of unfounded prejudice. England is full of English speaking, Christian, white people. I do not know much about Iranians except that most of them are not those things, and so if I am not careful, I could end up unduly judging them.

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 13:25: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====

Pages