The Halo Suit of the Modern World - Fraud?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Halo Suit of the Modern World - Fraud?
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #25
I'm pretty sure the robbery you were referring to happened in North Hollywood by Los Angeles in 1992(?). The robbers were hyped up on drugs to dull any pain they might feel, had AK-47's, and wore professional Kevlar armor. They were not taken down by rifles.

And Alorael, the frightening problem nowadays is that armed robbers are wearing more and more armor. Without assault weapons, the police have extreme difficulty dealing with them. I'm sure you mean bulky suits of Halo armor, but still. And $2,000 isn't that much to pay if you've resorted to bank robbery.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Keeper Swap:

How many people decide that the best way to perform armed robbery is in a suit of armor?
Hey, it worked for Ned Kelly until the police realised that the armour didn't cover his legs.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #27
An army of convicts? It worked in Give Me Liberty. All you need to do is promise to erase their records in exchange for service. This idea gets my Emperor's Seal of Approval™, even though I often prefer my convicts forced into slavery.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #28
I don't think it will work mainly for several reasons.

a) It has no built in air conditioner; Iraq and Afghanistan are very hot unlike Canada.

b) Does it have filtered air? Gas bombs, poisonous chemicals...

c) It has ceramic plates. they can't take more than several shots because they shatter.

d) I can't see how that would stop a club. It has no preset shape and a the sheer power of a club could break ribs or even your skull. In the Middle Ages they started using brute force weapons such as clubs and maces because swords couldn't pierce plate amour.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #29
Both Kevlar and ceramic plates are not reusable after being hit with a bullet, but I can see how shrapnel might be an issue. I doubt it would be, but it is a valid concern. Regardless, if you can give every single soldier one of these and an M60 machine gun, well, the enemy will be terrified. You can tell me that the smart enemy would do such and such to counter the suited marines, but to the unarmored infantryman, such a sight would still be petrifying.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

You can tell me that the smart enemy would do such and such to counter the suited marines, but to the unarmored infantryman, such a sight would still be petrifying.

Oh no! Here come the Storm Troopers! :P

Seriously, even if this suit works, the implications of the Empire Storm Trooper uniform might force a change in design before such a suit is adopted by the US Army.

[ Tuesday, January 23, 2007 14:33: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #31
Star Wars is only known to the Western world, so the psychological impact of the armour would be lessened. How about we drop VCRs and Star Wars VHSs instead of leaflets and aid next war? That way, they'll be running when the first white-armoured trooper appears.

--------------------
The girl doesn't have a special perception or feeling which will lift that book above the curiosity level.
- Publisher on The Diary of Anne Frank, 1952
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #32
But the Empire was ultimately defeated, and numerous Storm Troopers go down to a few unarmored rebels. This is good for the morale of the opposing side and not good for the morale of our side. What is needed is a completely original design to bolster morale for our side and dishearten the opposing side because no army wearing that design has ever lost a battle. Come on, Dintiradan, this is basic Evil Overlord stuff. :P

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #33
There's an interesting force known as the Storm Tropper effect. It states that the likelyhood of any one soldier to hit anything is directly inverse to the number of good guys present. The official version counts Jedi into the equation, but I doubt that will be necessary in Iraq. Regardless, I agree that anyone familliar with the Star Wars movies would actually be less frightened at the Storm Trooper similarity. Better to provide the enemy with copies of Halo, or to just let the suit be menacing on its own.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #34
Oh, come on. I wear these outfits all the time. It's like Abercrombie and Fitch for us Ohioans. The designers of Halo got the idea from one of our middle school dances.

[ Tuesday, January 23, 2007 19:19: Message edited by: Robinator is a Beefcake ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

How many people decide that the best way to perform armed robbery is in a suit of armor?
Answer: most people here, I would think?

quote:
The whole suit -- which draws design inspiration from Star Wars, RoboCop, Batman and video games...
I love the internet.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #36
For those of you who do not think the suit is scary, try looking at it with your eyes open this time. I know that if someone were charging at me with that type of armor and I did not have a chaingun, well my heart would definitely be pumping.

--------------------
====
====
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #37
Alright, point. However, the morale of the troops isn't too much of a concern: with the US & UK doing their thing in Iraq and the other countries not willing to step out of Kabul, it's just us and the Dutch in Kandahar. Morale isn't going to get much lower.

Perhap we could distract them with Carrie Fisher in a metal bikini.

Or not.

EDIT: Speling.

--------------------
I have a pretty major problem with a language where one of the most common variables has the name $_
- Brian Hook

[ Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:46: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #38
A black market would be pretty tough to pull off, if these suits are found to do their job. Then the government would have very tight control over the distribution of these suits.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #39
The government is not, as a rule, good at tight control of anything. But seriously, from factory to shipping to warehouse to more shipping to some supply depot to yet more shipping to the point I am trying to make, you don't think there would be a few suits siphoned off or just plain misplaced here and there?

—Alorael, who could also see the suits being made for private use. The inventor has no real vested interest in making them available exclusively to military personnel. Unless the contract stipulates government use only, he's got nothing to lose by making and selling impressive armored suits to perfectly legitimate buyers.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #40
Considering what would happen if these got into the wrong hands, then I'm pretty sure that these would be a priority to protect. Imagine a Chicago with gangs smuggling drugs and weaponry wearing Halo suits. I personally think that Canada should keep these suits to themselves, because currently the Americans would just attack Pakistan, or a country like it.

If the government wanted to they could make sure that this suit was only used by the military.

[ Wednesday, January 24, 2007 13:38: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #41
I'd imagine the US government is keeping a close watch on its nuclear weapons too, but it's still managed to misplace quite a few.

[ Wednesday, January 24, 2007 14:42: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Leftover Sauerkraut:

a) It has no built in air conditioner; Iraq and Afghanistan are very hot unlike Canada.
Certainly someone here took offense at the inaccuracy of this statement?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #43
quote:
I'd imagine the US government is keeping a close watch on its nuclear weapons too, but it's still managed to misplace quite a few.
That's partly why the US shouldn't be given these suits by Canada. Afterall, a Canadian invented them.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

quote:

Because... someone made a mistake about the weather in Iraq/Afghanistan? We're that petty now?

Some parts of the Middle East can, in fact, get pretty cold. Cold enough to snow. The whole area isn't just one big desert.
quote:
Originally written by Kyrek:

quote:
That's partly why the US shouldn't be given these suits by Canada. Afterall, a Canadian invented them.

If you're not with us, you're against us.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

For those of you who do not think the suit is scary, try looking at it with your eyes open this time. I know that if someone were charging at me with that type of armor and I did not have a chaingun, well my heart would definitely be pumping.
Not me. I'd just wait for him to lunge at me, step aside, and watch him fall flat in the dirt. Entertaining, and it doesn't do the attacker much harm either, other than to his dignity.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #46
I'm half with you. Canada is half with you. We'd be with you without Bush. Also, the whole we're with you or against you thing is kinda stupid. Like, I'm not trying to be offensive, but it is possible to be neutral.

The soldier would just shoot you, not jump at you.

[ Wednesday, January 24, 2007 15:56: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #47
quote:
Originally written by ID 101 Error:

quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

quote:

Because... someone made a mistake about the weather in Iraq/Afghanistan? We're that petty now?

No and Yes.

I was referring to the blanket statement about Canadian weather. Despite the fact that 90% of Canadians live in igloos, Canadian summers tend to be be quite warm. Well, I realize that I am generalizing, but no one cares about the Canada that is more than 100 km from the border, right?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #48
Actually no Canadians live in Igloos. The Inuit use Igloos like tents, not like houses. And yes, the summers here can get really hot. Like I'm pretty sure it hit over 35C last summer.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by Kyrek:

Also, the whole we're with you or against you thing is kinda stupid. Like, I'm not trying to be offensive, but it is possible to be neutral.
It's a reference to a statement Bush read.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Pages