Forum Archetypes.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Forum Archetypes.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #50
I may try to help, but I know only GF Series characters.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Guardian Magma:

I may try to help, but I know only GF Series characters.
Coming up with amuzing questions is the hard part, and you can help with that even if you can't think of enough answer options. I can coordinate this if enough people are sufficiently interested. (1 person making the entire quiz can work just as well as 50 people sending in a question each, but I doubt either extreme will really happen.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 7661
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by pinski_88:

quote:
Um, you people are weird.
And that's the truth.

(Well, there are less weird people around, but they're hard to find this month.)

quote:
Still, at least I have yet not seen topics full of nonsense like on some other boards so maybe I will try and get comfortable. :cool:
Either you haven't read far enough yet, or Dikiyoba does not want to go to those "other boards."

Heh, never been to a boardd edicated to a real mainstream hit game of some sort I take it. Those are murder if one likes good grammar and spelling. ;)
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by pinski_88:

Heh, never been to a board dedicated to a real mainstream hit game of some sort I take it. Those are murder if one likes good grammar and spelling. ;)
Here, we murder those who don't like good grammar and spelling. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #54
So we're all grammar nazis? That makes this thread much easier to resolve.

—Alorael, who just chalks it up to more xenophobia. All outsiders are evil and all outsiders have poor orthographic skills. No causal link must be established for hatred to commence.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #55
Originally by Delicious Vlish:

quote:
We need Spiderweb Flame Warriors.
We so need a "gaurdian" category.

Originally by pinski_88:

quote:
Heh, never been to a boardd edicated to a real mainstream hit game of some sort I take it. Those are murder if one likes good grammar and spelling. ;)
Oh, you mean that kind of nonsense. Not the nonsense about strange cults or bots or plans for world domination or the monthly newb sacrifices to the gods of UBB in hopes of keeping it running.

Er...

Forget that Dikiyoba said that last bit. :P
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Not the nonsense about strange cults or bots or plans for world domination or the monthly newb sacrifices to the gods of UBB in hopes of keeping it running.

Prepare the ropes and sacrificial newb.

Hail Banjo! God of UBB!

[ Wednesday, November 15, 2006 15:26: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #57
*checks own member status*

Alright, I think I'm safe.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #58
All of a sudden I think I may have found a possible hypothesis to explain why this forum tends towards proper grammar. Might it have something to do with that Jeff's games involve a lot of dialog and text? It's got even more text than text-based adventures!

But then again the primary reason is still probably that the royals and ents here are also grammar Nazis.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

All of a sudden I think I may have found a possible hypothesis to explain why this forum tends towards proper grammar. Might it have something to do with that Jeff's games involve a lot of dialog and text? It's got even more text than text-based adventures!

But then again the primary reason is still probably that the royals and ents here are also grammar Nazis.

Grammatically correct way to start your second sentence would be either "Might it have something to do with [the fact] that Jeff's games involve..." or "Might it have something to do with Jeff's games' inclusion of..." :P

More seriously, you are probably right that the nature of the games has a large impact on the litaracy of the forum populations. This effect might be related to nature of the game as much as to the amount of text involved. (Civilization 4 forums have much more literate population than Runescape forums, despite relatively low text volume in both games.)

EDIT: Thuryl caught me before I fixed that mistake. :( :) I guess I should use "preview post", instead of posting, reading, and editing.

[ Wednesday, November 15, 2006 16:43: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Grammatically correct way to start your second sentence would be either "Might it have something to do with [the fact] that Jeff's games involve..." or "Might it have something to do with Jeff's games inclusion of..." :P
"Jeff's games' inclusion of", actually. ^_^

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #61
At one time, I had very poor writing skills. Awful. I mean, really bad. And I realised that nobody would ever take me seriously if I didn't clean stuff up a bit.

I can't really talk worth a damn. I communicate usually in a series of grunts, nods, gestures, and the occasional furious growl or roar. My voice sounds like I gargled with battery acid and broken glass. So I tend to keep to my self mostly. The only clear line of communication that comes out of my mouth is usually a long unbroken stream of colourful profanity, the likes of which I am sure most of you have never heard, and should never hear. Long before Ozzy was on TV, I had the confused garbled mumbling fart shtick down to a science.

So, feeling the need to express my self and what my mind has to offer, I turned to online communication to hone my skills and polish my abilities. It has been quite challenging. I still make a lot of mistakes probably. But I see my self as a work in progress. So long as I am not dead, I still have work to do.

Oh, and the talking thing is really not my fault. I have multiple streams of thought going on all at once in my brain. Multiple thought processes. I don't know if I can explain it, but I can think about several things at once. I am ambidexterous, and can use both hands at the same time, and it extends to my brain in such a way that allows me to think about different things. Like, I can use both hands on two different keyboards typing out two totally different things. The trouble is, all these thoughts and happenings in my mind try to come out of my mouth all at once, leading to some very garbled chatter, especially if I am excited or nervous. The only time my brain cooperates as a whole is when I am really pissed off. Angry. And then in one unified effort, it produces crystal clear streams of colourful profanity.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #62
Yup, pinski... we're a fun weird. Once you've been here a while, it doesn't bother you any more. Believe me. :D

Oh, on the topic of Spiderweb Flame Warriors, we need a Rentar-Ihrno. Perhaps similar to the God one... and there should definitely be a Hawthorne, along the lines of "appearing powerful but easily defeated".

[ Wednesday, November 15, 2006 19:37: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #63
Believe me when I say that it would be a bad idea to argue with me on points of grammar.

"That" is an anticipatory pronoun that can be used to introduce noun clauses. It can be used as an object of a preposition, though modern usage leans toward expanding "that" into "the fact that" even though in purely grammatical terms, the "that" in the expanded form serves the same purpose. I concede to modern usage, but appeal to brevity.

"Jeff's games' inclusion" is both a double possessive and the attribution of possession to an inanimate object. But I concede to clarity.

Zeviz, you forgot a "the" at the start of "Grammatically correct."

Wow, I feel awfully pedantic at the moment.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #64
quote:

Um, you people are weird. Still, at least I have yet not seen topics full of nonsense like on some other boards so maybe I will try and get comfortable. :cool:
If you think this is weird, wander over to the Geneforge 4 forum where information and disinformation about the upcoming game vie with each other. The board will calm down after the monthly posting of stats takes place on the 17th.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #65
Yay nonsense!
Too bad the Xian Skull topic was lost. That was some of the greatest deception ever. I would love to play that game.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #66
quote:

I have yet not seen topics full of nonsense
You're obviously not looking hard enough.

Edit: Try the Richard White forum.

Before any of you cultist scum hit me with the "it is not nonsense" nonsense, know that that is exactly what I want you to say.

[ Wednesday, November 15, 2006 20:06: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

Yay nonsense!
To nonsense!

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #68
To posting insanity. Try and find some here fluffy turtles.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

To posting insanity. Try and find some here fluffy turtles.
My sanity was vastly depleted long before I joined these boards. The fluffy turtles got whatever dregs were left. :P

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Warrior
Member # 7614
Profile #70
Was Arsonist an archetype? There are quite a few of them around these parts.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #71
It should be one.
There really are some around here.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #72
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

"Jeff's games' inclusion" is both a double possessive and the attribution of possession to an inanimate object. But I concede to clarity.
I've only ever heard two people say you can't attribute possession to an inanimate object. The other was a cranky old woman. As such, you're in bad company even if correct.

[ Wednesday, November 15, 2006 21:37: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #73
For the Spiderweb equivalent to an Arsonist you could have differing levels from Fire Lizard up through Dragon or Drakon (TM level).

X would be the archetype for a powerful moderator or administrator that rarely gets directly involved in the day to day problems.

[ Wednesday, November 15, 2006 21:49: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Warrior
Member # 7614
Profile #74
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

X would be the archetype for a powerful moderator or administrator that rarely is aware of day to day problems.
FYT :P

Pages