Genetic Templating in Averum?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Genetic Templating in Averum?
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #0
One of the "great cave bandits" was a nephil-human hybrid. Either that a horrible, horrible, though puzzlingly human-like mutant, or a extremely bizarre magical experiment.

This fact leads to possibility that humans and nephil have at least some base genetic compatibility [at least enough to create some sort of monstrous mule-like crossbreed.] It makes me wonder what other avernum humanoid species are capable of interbreeding, though its not likely to happen since for the most part they're too busy killing one another.

If there is a common genetic template in the "humanoid family" instead of convergent evolution at work, you have to ask yourself "how?", and then immediately afterwards "who?"

[This is just begging for vahnatai creationists to snap it up.]

Vahnatai, deities, extra planar beings, in any instance something funny is going on :P

[Eeepp didn't notice the typo in the Title.]

I meant that as in the "universe" in which the story takes place... that was probably known, but oh well. *appeasement*

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 17:14: Message edited by: Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder. ]

--------------------
HIHI!!!! *hugs indescriminantly* take that, FEEL THE LOVE!!!!
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #1
Technically, any two organisms are similar enough to genetically combine, but the difficulty does increase.

This topic has lived before. It shouldn't live again. The last time, it was put down because the actual encounter didn't exactly say it was a crossbreed, only that it was shedding, and "Looked remarkably human".

Vanhatai Creationists are delusional. The only thing that exist in the games are either what Jeff puts in, or what script-editors mess with. Script-editing is, essentially, singular, and only the original versions of the games count. Jeff has put in no, or few enough for them to be discounted, hints or foreshadowings of Vanhatai Creationism. And the ones that are there are probably unintentional.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #2
Not all organisms can combine, there has to be a certain amount of protein similarity between the zygotes or an attempt at fertilization can't even be made, and unless the similarity goes far beyond that, the only thing you get out of it is a stillbirth.

And I wasn't implying Vahnatai creationism, just some order of relatedness between the "sentient, humanoid species" of the world. I merely stated that this kind of thought is something a Vahnatai creationist might like to get their hands on.

I personally think that the gods [whatever they might be in jeff's mythos], if their followers believe that they're responsible for biogenesis [which they probably do, since that’s the standard role of a god in any theological system], may have came to consensus as to a particular template to cast their various offspring in, including the vahnatai.

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 16:43: Message edited by: Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder. ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7614
Profile #3
You may notice the lack of replies. This is usually because readers find it difficult to understand poor English, and are less than forgiving when it is written by a native of the United States. The title of the thread may push people away before even reading.

Just so you know. :)
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
It also may be because the topic is rather... disturbing, to say the least.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #5
Wait... so there is a chance that that child could be mine?

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
As if this topic wasn't disturbing enough... :P

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 7614
Profile #7
A V E R N U M.

I'm not curmudgeonly, it's just courteous to refer to someone's work by the proper name.

And I'm still thinking on the question, and if the subject matter is something that I care to discuss.

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 17:50: Message edited by: Slippery Salomon ]
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #8
I edited my posts because apparently people completely ignore the content unless the grammar and spelling is immaculate. Grammar Nazing: 1, Ezrah: 0.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #9
It doesn't have to be immaculate. Just understandable.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #10
People around here really get off on correcting spelling and grammar mistakes. Makes them feel powerful, I suppose.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #11
Good spelling and grammar is a tool of the strong, Tullegolar... :P

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #12
Wrong! It is a tool of the weak. The strong abandon good grammar and spelling to create works of timeless art, such as poetry. The weak would enforce grammar and spelling so that all writting is brought down to their level instead of realizing its full potential.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #13
Except that even poetry follow basic rules of grammar. Also, isn't it a symbol of the strong to train your mind to remember, and use properly, all those words and the correct way to assemble them?

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #14
Poetry only follows grammatical rules it makes up for itself. Sure knowing gammar requires some basic skill, but not much. At least, not enough for people to act like they are special for finding small mistakes in other people's grammar.

Far more skill is required to interpret works lacking proper grammar. I recommend Ulysses by James Joyce for a true challenge.

--------------------
You lose.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #15
In TM's absence, I feel obliged to don my trolling hat for a moment.

[i]YIFF MACHT FREI![/i]

Edit: Spelling

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 22:37: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

At least, not enough for people to act like they are special for finding small mistakes in other people's grammar.
Ah, youth. I remember when I used to run around, correcting the spelling and grammar of the adults around me...

quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

In TM's absence, I feel obliged to don my trolling hat for a moment.

YIFF MACT FREI!

Why do I get the feeling that the above phrase is something highly insulting and somewhat obscene?

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 18:52: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #17
*looks up the word 'yiff' and vomits uncontrollably after clicking one too many links*

Meh, everyone has their... thing... I suppose.

By the way, you spelled 'macht' wrong.

--------------------
You lose.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #18
This whole grammar thing reminds me of the time that Brody, Mutey and myself decided to stop using backspace. Needless to say that was pretty bad. Fun, but bad :P
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #19
Macht = Power. Frei = Freely. But I couldn't get the translator to translate 'yiff'. ? power freely... Great, now I really want to know what that first word is.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #20
What translator are you using? Macht=Makes;Frei=Free. Look up yiff on wikipedia, if you dare.

It's a reference to the Nazi phrase "Arbeit Macht Frei" which means "Work Makes Free" which was a big sign that they would put up in concentration camps. Not sure which if more offensive, the Nazi reference or... the other word.

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 19:19: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #21
Proper spelling and grammer makes it easier for everyone to focus on the content of the post rather than trying to decide if it's worth going through the effort to understand what was written.

There are plenty of other places to post if you don't want to be coherent.

Back to the topic in the title. Jeff occasionally implies that there are some mages experimenting with manipulation of creatures. The Vahnatai seem to be the worst offenders since they brought back all the different types for the plagues. Most like any hybrid would be sterile and belligerent like the nephar.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #22
Oh noes, not another Furry Fantasy Thread™.

Somebody in avernum yiffed with a kitty! **fap fap fap**

And on topic, magic. Magic is the generic explanation for everything. Genetic incompatibility? Pshaw. Drink a magic love potion and *PRESTO!* You can breed. No explaination needed. Alchemy can overcome these biological troubles.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
The assumption within my BoA continuity is that the vahnatai and the humans are distant biological cousins (like chimps and humans), and the vahnatai made the sliths and nephils out of humans and reptiles and cats.

This is not Vahnatai Creationism &#x00AE, because the vahnatai didn't create everything, just a couple of races.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
But Vahnatai Creationism is a catchy name. Drakey claims that Jeff approved it, but I support it mainly because I find it really, really funny.

I view Randolph Halfbreed as a pure nephil with unfortunate skin conditions and possibly other disorders. He's one ugly nephil, and he got mockingly hailed as halfbreed as an insult. The name stuck.

Honestly, that's really the best answer. Do you want crossbreeding, magical or otherwise?

—Alorael, who views standardized syntax as a tool of the strong, not a sign thereof. It's easier to weed out the weak if you can identify them by their writing. The strong can then break free of the constraints of grammar for effect, while the mouth-breathing masses who can't get it right are just incomprehensible. Cheers, Tully!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages