Jeff Vogel's View From the Bottom #6

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Jeff Vogel's View From the Bottom #6
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #0

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #1
Interesting as it was opening it up shot Firefox's CPU usage at to 95% so I dunno what was up with that.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #2
Really, what distiguishes WoW from, say, RuneScape? Better graphics, a better game system perhaps. That, and you have to pay for it. Other than that, there's not much difference. The two things that really irk me with MMORPGs is that they are inherently static and that no one plays in character. Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to have a sort of Turing test for MMORPGs: see if you can guess who are the NPCs and who are the PCs. Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to have a massive program creating a dynamic world. No more 'somebody at the company scripts an event and each PC in the world does the quest several times'.

Then I wake up.

--------------------
If you were to go back in history and take every president, you'll find that the numerical value of each letter in their name was equally divisible into the year in which they were elected. By my calculations, our next president has to be named Yellnick McWawa.
- Cliff Clavin (Cheers)
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
From the article:

quote:
So, if you haven't played a massively multiplayer game yet, you will soon be the only one. Loser.
Apparently, Dikiyoba is a loser.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Really, what distiguishes WoW from, say, RuneScape? Better graphics, a better game system perhaps. That, and you have to pay for it. Other than that, there's not much difference. The two things that really irk me with MMORPGs is that they are inherently static and that no one plays in character. Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to have a sort of Turing test for MMORPGs: see if you can guess who are the NPCs and who are the PCs. Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to have a massive program creating a dynamic world. No more 'somebody at the company scripts an event and each PC in the world does the quest several times'.
That's... wrong. First of all, plenty of people play in character. Join an RP server in WoW, get with some decent human beings, and you've got an experience you won't find elsewhere.

Also WoW is very different than Runescape. I won't go into game philosophy, but basing your opinion on what you hear is kinda ignorant I would think. What's that saying...?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #5
I play nationstates and when you play on the forums you play completely in character. It is completely roleplaying.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
If you really want roleplaying, you want to play a MUD. On the other hand, most people don't actually want to play a MUD, so your results may vary.

—Alorael, who absolutely agrees with Jeff that MMORPGs promote addiction without promoting fun. They generally have no plot, no real atmosphere to speak of, and certainly a limited number of people you really want to play with. The mechanics are deliberately repetitive and prolongued. Just think of how many fun things you could do with time sucked into MMORPGs and how much money you could not be spending on monthly fees!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

From the article:

quote:
So, if you haven't played a massively multiplayer game yet, you will soon be the only one. Loser.

Then I believe I am one as well, unless you count a half-hour attempt at Runescape several years ago.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #8
People who play Runescape are automatically losers. So you're damned either way. :P

[ Monday, November 06, 2006 17:15: Message edited by: Pope John XX ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #9
Gah. Runescape. I tried that and it stole an hour of my life. Playing Runescape religiously makes you a loser. :P

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
MMORPGS destroy lives, I've seen it first hand. Not to say that I don't dabble, but it's easy to get pulled in.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #11
quote:

Really, what distiguishes WoW from, say, RuneScape? Better graphics, a better game system perhaps.
So, in other words, WoW is a better game?

quote:
Originally written by *i:

MMORPGS destroy lives, I've seen it first hand. Not to say that I don't dabble, but it's easy to get pulled in.
I'd argue that MMORPGs are addictive in the same fashion gambling is, and in fact make money using a roughly similar model. Any game can be 'addictive' that way - although certain games are better at it than others, esp. RPGs - but only MMORPGs pull a constant revenue for being addictive.

I was big into a proto-MMO called Legends of Kesmai as a youth. Now, not so much. It's probably just the cheapskate in me talking, but I seriously balk at the idea of paying for a game by playtime. It allows developers to do about twice the work and make several dozen times the profit from each individual player.

[ Monday, November 06, 2006 17:54: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Terminal Being:

If you really want roleplaying, you want to play a MUD. On the other hand, most people don't actually want to play a MUD, so your results may vary.
When I was in middle school, I played a MUD called Clay Valley for 2 years. It was incredibly addicting. Then they stopped hosting it. :(

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #13
Ah, the good old days of computer class...playing MUDs was the geek thing. I wonder if people still play them...

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

From the article:

quote:

Then I believe I am one as well, unless you count a half-hour attempt at Runescape several years ago.

Well, that makes three of us.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin mosck you all for your online gaming habits, and swiftly returns to his bombing run.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #15
When I was an elementary school, a couple of my friends ran a MUD on the school network. It was just a vaguely edited Diku clone, but it was great. We felt like gods. Those were the days.

MMORPGs? alt.stupid.ensign.die.die.die

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Originally by Lenar:

quote:
Then we are either the pinnacle of loserdom or the final hope for the future. Either that, or we just can't stand stupid people. :P

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
There are still MUDs around. Heck, there are still commercial MUDs around. One might imagine that a text-only medium would keep the idiots at bay, but one need only look at forums to realize that you only need borderline literacy to become a plague upon the internet.

—Alorael, who encourages all borderline literate plagues to become highly literate. Every troll dreams of growing up to become a TM!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #18
WOW looks ok, but I couldn't handle paying for it each month. MUD?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #19
MUD= Multi User Dungeon

MUD on the Wiki

[ Monday, November 06, 2006 22:02: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Terminal Being:

There are still MUDs around. Heck, there are still commercial MUDs around. One might imagine that a text-only medium would keep the idiots at bay, but one need only look at forums to realize that you only need borderline literacy to become a plague upon the internet.
As I've always said, the average internet user of today is not as bright as the average internet user 10 years ago.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
quote:

Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to have a massive program creating a dynamic world. No more 'somebody at the company scripts an event and each PC in the world does the quest several times'.

Yay for that. Now if it only sold.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Labs:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

From the article:

quote:

Say four, uh. I hate MMORPGS... The just slowly suck your life... >_<

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #23
Count me among the "MMORPG's are an evil plague unleashed upon the world". I, too, have seen first-hand how an otherwise intelligent and motivated person lost herself completely to these games. The worst part was, she didn't even seem to particularly enjoy playing the game, but couldn't stop. She dropped out of school and Allah knows what the heck she's doing these days.

Z

[ Tuesday, November 07, 2006 06:38: Message edited by: Zorro ]

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Sirrus:

quote:

Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to have a massive program creating a dynamic world. No more 'somebody at the company scripts an event and each PC in the world does the quest several times'.

Yay for that. Now if it only sold.

Not a new idea. Algorithmically-generated content is the Holy Grail of online game design, and just as unattainable.

(Actually, Puzzle Pirates comes pretty close, but that's just because it's relatively easy to randomly generate playable puzzles. Creating a living, breathing game world? Not so much.)

[ Tuesday, November 07, 2006 06:56: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages