Jeff Vogel's View From the Bottom #6

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Jeff Vogel's View From the Bottom #6
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #25
There was a MUD recently done on cell phones... I'm not sure what happened to it.

We always got classwide tournaments of Quake3 going in high school. I can safely brag that I won every match except one; our teacher scratched away with 2 more kills.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by *i:

quote:
Originally written by Terminal Being:

There are still MUDs around. Heck, there are still commercial MUDs around. One might imagine that a text-only medium would keep the idiots at bay, but one need only look at forums to realize that you only need borderline literacy to become a plague upon the internet.
As I've always said, the average internet user of today is not as bright as the average internet user 10 years ago.

The average Internet user today is every bit as bright as the average Internet user 10 years ago. It's just that 10 years ago you were in middle school and everyone looked a lot smarter than they are. :P
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
Ten years ago internet users were probably just about as bad as they are now. Go back to before September 1993 and the average intelligence was much higher.

—Alorael, who thinks MMORPGs would be vastly improved by strong AI. Among the other benefits, a Dark Lord run by a human-hating artificial intelligence trapped in a game would be a very scary villain.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #28
quote:

Ten years ago internet users were probably just about as bad as they are now. Go back to before September 1993 and the average intelligence was much higher.
The internet population didn't change overnight. I'd guess even in 1996 a large proportion of users still accessed internet from college or work. If you want to blame something for massive influx of kids, it would be a campaign to connect libraries and schools in late 90s.

I am not saying that kids are dumber than adults, but a lot of annoying behavior online is due to 9 year olds acting like 9 year olds.

quote:
—Alorael, who thinks MMORPGs would be vastly improved by strong AI. Among the other benefits, a Dark Lord run by a human-hating artificial intelligence trapped in a game would be a very scary villain.
Especially when that human-hating AI decides to take over the world by hacking into systems controlling all our infrastructure and equipment from power grids to military satellites. :)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #29
Oh yeah, that's exactly what I mean. 10 years ago, you needed a bit more know-how to get on the internet and do anything with it. This was just right before everyone got online.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:

The internet population didn't change overnight. I'd guess even in 1996 a large proportion of users still accessed internet from college or work. If you want to blame something for massive influx of kids, it would be a campaign to connect libraries and schools in late 90s.

I am not saying that kids are dumber than adults, but a lot of annoying behavior online is due to 9 year olds acting like 9 year olds.

quote:
Especially when that human-hating AI decides to take over the world by hacking into systems controlling all our infrastructure and equipment from power grids to military satellites. :)

Not really I'ver been called a 9 year old plenty of times on NWN servers and elsewhere. You just have to act like a jerk and people just assume you are a child. BTW being said jerk is actually really fun.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #31
quote:
Written by Vogel:
You will meander up through the levels, realizing that, even at its best, the game is kind of tedious.

Now, which game was this?

quote:
Written by Vogel:
you might as well be fishing

Yes.

quote:
Written by Vogel:
If you are male, and you probably are, your sperm count will rise.

This is the main reason to patronize Vogelian software.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #32
You know why the internet was smarter 10 years ago? No AIM.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

You know why the internet was smarter 10 years ago? No AIM.
You are so off my buddy list.

:P

--------------------
quote:

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #34
You were never on my buddy list.

Zing!

Just kidding. You were and still are.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
No AIM
IRC and jabber forever. :D

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #36
Because IRC and ICQ sextrollers were sooo much better.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Because IRC and ICQ sextrollers were sooo much better.
:(

You never complained.

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
Given that ICQ and AIM are owned by the same company and even share some functionality - supposedly it's now possible to send messages from one network to the other - I included it in the "no AIM"...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #39
I'll join the list of never played a MMORPG, so that makes 5. I did play the MUD game Avatar on the PLATO system back in the late 1980's. But it was free and somewhat addictive. I saw that there is a pay version on the internet, but I'm not paying a monthly fee to hack the same types of monsters over and over again to make maybe a level or two a night.

I thought the D&D MMORPG would be better until I read from a reviewer how hard it was to find a group to run quests and that you could only run by yourself for the introduction dungeon.

Pages