That Literary Dog...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: That Literary Dog...
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #0
I've had this conversation with multiple people over the past several years, which makes me curious. How many of us who grew up in the 90s (at least 80% of the boards) owe most if not all our knowledge of literary classics to a spotted mutt on PBS?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 30 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=XXPIzWNIyCJu"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=XXPIzWNIyCJu"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
For the love of God, that is wrong with you? Can't you understand that we have to stop the spamming? All the useless topics and pointless remarks must end now. Why, you ask? Just because.

;)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #2
I'm not just spamming. I truly want to know. I have heard the line "I past the English test from what I remember on Wishbone" many, many times. Besides, you're too old to understand. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #3
That dog never did a damn thing for me. I passed school thanks to Oregon Trail and AoE. The amount of times I wrote about things that happened to me in those games and passed them off as pure history is incredible.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #4
Hello? Foreign here. I've never heard of it, but sounds useful. :P

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by nannanannannnanaa:

Hello? Foreign here. I've never heard of it, but sounds useful. :P
Typical cartoon fare. It's what people do when they can't be bothered to read to their children. Or can't read, which is a very likely possibility in the United States.

--------------------
quote:

Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Salmon:

Typical cartoon fare. It's what people do when they can't be bothered to read to their children. Or can't read, which is a very likely possibility in the United States.
Actually, it was a live-action show. Anyway, what parents read Charles Dickens to their children? :P

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #7
We've done worse things like reading Winnie the Pooh in Latin, Asterisk too. It was fun, believe me, and a good exercise as well.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
Totane? Minime!

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #9
:D Vicus quidam a Gallis invictis habitatus invasoribus resistere adhuc non desinit.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Amazing. I actually got that!

Although admittedly, it was easy to tell the context.

Edit: Even more amazing! The thread Salmon linked to was back when Polaris was hosted by Lady J!

[ Wednesday, November 01, 2006 02:27: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
Perhaps I don't meet your definition of growing up in the 90's, which cover ages 7-18 for me, but I've never even heard of Wishbone.

Butterfly in the sky? I can go twice as high!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #12
Wishbone was the best. Too bad he died recently.
I had all the books and I still have a stuffed version. And there's that action figure in my closet.

Asterix is the best foreign comic ever. I've only read one, but I need more.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
I could claim prolapse of the memory, but I was thinking of Clifford. And yes, my parents and grandparents did read Dickens, Twain, and other classics aloud to us children. It was (of the day) considered good practice both for the reader and the listener.

--------------------
quote:

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #14
Mr. Dressup FTW!!!

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will install a fire extinguisher in every room -- three, if the room contains vital equipment or volatile chemicals.
(T-9)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I don't remember where I've heard of Wishbone, but I have. I can't vote, though, because I have no opinion. I never made a choice not to watch the show, but I didn't (and still don't) watch television in general.

—Alorael, who supposes that his decision will have to depend on how much the show butchered great literature and how much it presented it faithfully but in a way that could appeal to a younger audience. Judging by Wikipedia, it at least stayed away from the former.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #16
Mr Dressup was pretty good, as I recall. I heard that in the show's later years, they actually killed Casey. It was a kids' show, a little kids' show. And Casey was a little puppet boy, in an otherwise live action show. He lived in a tiny little treehouse, with a puppet dog named Finnigan. And they had him die somehow. Yeesh.

That's some negative capability.

EDIT: It appears I was misinformed. According to Wikipedia, they just gradually eased Casey and Finnigan out of the show, so that kids would not have to deal with their sudden departure or change when their longtime puppeteer retired. Sort of thing you have to deal with in a show that runs every weekday for very nearly 30 years. Now I feel a lot better, actually.

[ Wednesday, November 01, 2006 09:34: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

I never made a choice not to watch the show, but I didn't (and still don't) watch television in general.

IMAGE(http://stuff.ermarian.net/salmon/ludovico.jpg)

--------------------
quote:

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #18
Wishbone? Bah. Reading Rainbow all the way!

Just take a look!
It's in a book!
Reading Rainboooooow!

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #19
We remember Wishbone!!! And some other people!!! And the thirty million other people who watched it!!!

TUBULAR!!!
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #20
Hmm. Wishbone did have a large effect on -X-'s reading, but mainly because of the books, not the show. -X- also remembers long, tortured hours watching Reading Rainbow in school *-X- shudders*.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
I watched Wishbone. I don't really know why. It wasn't all that good, actually, and once they added a bunch of new characters, it was terrible. I never watched Reading Rainbow (probably because I was never home in time to catch it).

Dikiyoba remembers watching some other reading show, though. Something featuring a white van with a happy face on the side of it. Anyone know the name of it?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #22
I heard of it, but never watched it. Reading Rainbow and Sesame Street (before it became stupid) for the win!

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #23
I had never heard of it before. I have watched Clifford though and Dragon Tales. I once saw 5 full minutes of the Teletubbies before running away in disgust, seriously.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #24
Reading Rainbow is what I recall. In Wisconsin, they created this thing called Storylords too which was awesome.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages