Wouldnt an Exile/Avernum MMORPG be awesome?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Wouldnt an Exile/Avernum MMORPG be awesome?
Apprentice
Member # 6434
Profile #0
I was looking around the web for a good MMORPG to blow my time on and couldnt really find anything. Runescape is fun in terms of the stuff you can do, but its full of lag and 12 year olds and hacks (and so I deem it "Noobscape" :P ) . During my search I started thinking up what would be the ideal MMORPG for me...and boom, "Avernum Online" came to mind. As I started to picture what the game would be like, I was like OMFG thats sweet! :D

Chances are slim that Jeff Vogel has the employees or resources to do such a thing, but its fun to imagine :( .

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 20 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=gnMSQYUKajxx"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=gnMSQYUKajxx"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Click here if you dare.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
I voted for maybe. Simply because it would be very difficult to successfully pull off. A Geneforge MMORPG is more likely.

On a side note, do you happen to have any relation to felix or felix2?

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
1. Jeff said that he has neither ability nor desire to make MMORPGs.

2. Turn-based format doesn't sound very good for MMO play.

If you are simply suggesting an online game set in Exile/Avernum universe by with different game mechanics, sure that might be fun. However, it wouldn't happen for the reasons mentioned.

PS There was a thread here recently talking about online games people play. Kingdom of Loathing seemed to be the most popular one.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
I said no, but I don't like MMORPGs in the first place. I'd rather play games alone. And in places where I can't get online. And where I don't have to worry about noobs or constant changes ruining how I play the game.

Originally by Nioca:

quote:
On a side note, do you happen to have any relation to felix or felix2?
felix and felix2 are the same person, by the way. And as Felix The Nephil can spell and use basic punctuation, Dikiyoba doesn't think so.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
Yes, JV has stated that an online game will not be made. (On the other hand, didn't he say something similar about certain other games he made?) If made, however (I can dream, can't I?), the format would have to be different. Perhaps instead of several worlds with hundreds of members in each, have hundreds of worlds with several members in each. Have each world like a BoA scenario, with each member playing an adventurer (I've never played WoW, but a friend of mine described something called 'instances', and it sounds similar). That way, you could get away with it being turn-based.

EDIT: I forgot to add user created worlds/scenarios, like BoA.

--------------------
Marijuana Issue Sent to Joint Committee
- Headline

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 14:39: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
In fact, it was this topic.

I knew felix and felix2 were the same person. He just used felix2 to dodge a ban. Speaking of which, is he still banned?

--------------------

Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #6
"Please, mister Vogel, won't you update the game?"
"No, haha! Now give me your delicious souls!"

That's more or less what would happen. Yep.

Anyway, the E/A games don't have really great

1) Plots (although in an MMORPG you can't expect much anyway)
2) Settings (including races, time, organizations, etc.)
3) Combat Systems (including the spell systems)

I can't really see what part you would use to make an actual good game.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #7
I could never abandon World of Warcraft, and dishing out another $10-$15 a month for World of Avernum (something I would be forced to do if it existed) would really hurt my wallet. It might be free, but then you are faced with the bugs problem.

Never the less, I voted yes, simply because it is against my nature to stifle an idea, even one that is destined to never come to fruition.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #8
I think it would be fun but there are already too many MMORPGs out there.
If there were one, I would play it, but I would also prefer Jeff working on GF4.
Geneforge might make a good online game. Hmmmm.

Besides, all my ORPG desires are fulfilled by Kingdom of Loathing.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Pope John XX:

Anyway, the E/A games don't have really great

1) Plots (although in an MMORPG you can't expect much anyway)
2) Settings (including races, time, organizations, etc.)
3) Combat Systems (including the spell systems)

Avernum doesn't have much in the way of plot on the whole, but it has enough fetch this, deliver that, kill him quests already that it's practically built for the world of MMORPGs. We already know that the mechanics would have to be entirely overhauled, so it's not a problem that the combat system wouldn't hold up.

On setting I entirely disagree. The Empire isn't so interesting, at least as far as we've seen it, but Avernum is good, particularly in the early days. Having people suddenly appear makes sense in the context of a portal, and having people fight monsters, establish towns, defend them, and so on works quite well in the early Avernum context.

—Alorael, who fortunately doesn't need to put much thought into this because MMORPGs are dominated by two things: huge budgets and free products. Jeff can't compete in one arena and has no incentive to compete in the other.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #10
I think I remember a group of dedicated Exile/Avernum fans planning a Neverwinter Nights mod that would be a persistent world server. My guess is that they gave up after realizing how much work it would take to make said mod.

I agree with Alo that the early Avernum setting is actually much more reasonable for a MMORPG than almost every other product on the market. The portal provides a consistent explanation for why new adventurers arrive all the time. The open environment allows for a more believable setting in which monsters roam around freely. And even the lack of an overall villain is a strength in this context.

I actually believe it is somewhat likely that Jeff will eventually attempt such a project. He clearly enjoys MMORPGs. The tools for creating an online game are getting better and cheaper (like the Torque engine, which has at least one indie/commercial MMORPG to its credit), and the economic advantages of such a game are enormous. A monthly fee of $10 is much more profitable for SW then a one-time $30 fee. Plus, Jeff gets to remake Exile/Avernum for a new generation of gamers. He'd probably call it "Hades" and then we can really get the Exile/Avernum/Hades flame wars going!

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #11
It would be more accurate to call it 'Erebus'.

--------------------

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

2. Turn-based format doesn't sound very good for MMO play.
That's bunk! The direct forerunners of MMORPGs were all turn-based, and I can attest that the systems worked quite well. Most famously, there was the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL, which was based on the SSI Gold Box engine. There was also the Shadow of Yserbius (and its prequel whose name I forget) done by Sierra on INN. Great games. Personally I prefered them to MUDs precisely because they were turn-based, and they didn't require that my eyes be constantly glued to the screen the whole time I played for fear of not healing a companion in time to prevent his death, or my own.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #13
Won't happen, period.

However, feel free to discuss the elements and theory of good MMORPGs.

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 19:17: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
Well, Avernum/Exile has the wide-open world that would be necessary for an MMOPRG, but the plots tend to be not multiplayer-friendly.

And, of course, as has been said, we've discussed the whole futility aspect before. I'd love it, but it'd be awfully empty.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #15
I didnt read any of the posts. But let's just say I've seen this topic man, many, many times. :( BTW it always endd sthe same way.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #16
Of course its not going to happen, but just think:
Avernum 2
Play as the Empire or Avernum and fight each other.
The Vanhanati are introduced in the expansion pack
But we all know how it ends.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
And round and round we go!
It's the topic that never ends!

And another one, and another one, and another one... Haha!

Well, okay. No lock. Seeing as at least it looks like a good discussion, in spite of having been held a few dozen times.

---
This message was brought to you by The Deranged Moderators Self-Help Group. Please donate today - you, too, can do your part to keep your mods sane. :)

Edit: This is like that movie I heard of (not saw) where somebody wakes up and it's the same day every time. What's it called... Groundhog Day? But only for oldbies, who have seen all the threads before.

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 23:12: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #18
Originally by Arancaytar:

quote:
This message was brought to you by The Deranged Moderators Self-Help Group. Please donate today - you, too, can do your part to keep your mods sane. :)
That depends... is it tax deductable?

Dikiyoba will donate this post to the cause in either case, though.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #19
If I wanted sane mods, I'd post on some other board.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #20
No, absolutely. Solo-play is better.

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

If I wanted sane mods, I'd post on some other board.
Yeah.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #21
A2 would be the most fun, but A3 would allow for the most wide-open world.

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

sane mods
Hah.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #22
It'd be an interesting idea, if not a successful one. JV wouldn't do it, as has been mentioned. The interface would have to change a lot. Some missions would be interesting to do co-op, or perhaps even vs, but in general, the idea wouldn't work. The whole idea of SDFs would interfere.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #23
The more I think about it, the more I think a Geneforge MMORPG could definitely work. You could put it in Drypeak, which is already neatly divided into four segments.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #24
Hi!
I think that mmorpg of spiderweb game swould be really good, but I think that Jeff had said many times: NO.
Personally I prefer avernum for an online game but geneforge would be quite good, the trouble with geneforge is that it's too little yet, but the open history makes it a very practical game for this purposes. But I would love to play with my vahnatai mage in the castel with many other people sorrounding me in a mmorpg!! :eek:

Pages