Wouldnt an Exile/Avernum MMORPG be awesome?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Wouldnt an Exile/Avernum MMORPG be awesome?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #25
First off, welcome back chicho. Long time no see.

Second, I'm not sure an open history like Geneforge's would really benefit a mmorpg, because the thing is that it's still a history, and the games still start at defined points, regardless of which paths individual players took in prior games.

I think an honest mmorpg would have to be set either far before or far after all the games in that series, so as to avoid messing with timelines in the games themselves.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Rotdhizon Calzone:

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

2. Turn-based format doesn't sound very good for MMO play.
That's bunk! The direct forerunners of MMORPGs were all turn-based, and I can attest that the systems worked quite well. Most famously, there was the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL, which was based on the SSI Gold Box engine. There was also the Shadow of Yserbius (and its prequel whose name I forget) done by Sierra on INN. Great games. Personally I prefered them to MUDs precisely because they were turn-based, and they didn't require that my eyes be constantly glued to the screen the whole time I played for fear of not healing a companion in time to prevent his death, or my own.

How did these games work? Did turns last several minutes to make sure everybody got a chance to act? What happened if you failed to act during your turn? How many players were there in each world/server/whatever?

PS Alorael's description makes Exile/Avernum 1 sound like a very logical setting for a MMORPG.

[ Tuesday, October 24, 2006 13:03: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
A large part of the Spiderweb E/A/G games is the interaction with NPCs. I guess I'm kinda slow, but how on earth would those interactions be handled in a MMPORG format? No wonder Jeff cowers under his desk whenever one of these discussions happens. The idea, and the amount of work involved, is mindnumbing.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Spookee Salmon:

A large part of the Spiderweb E/A/G games is the interaction with NPCs. I guess I'm kinda slow, but how on earth would those interactions be handled in a MMPORG format? No wonder Jeff cowers under his desk whenever one of these discussions happens. The idea, and the amount of work involved, is mindnumbing.
Jeff could probably copy most dialogue scripts directly into new game and make all players interact with the NPCs and do mini-quests as if they are playing a single-player game. That's what other MMORPGs do.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #29
I love MMORPGs. They're great. But I just don't have the resources, in talent, design time, hardware, anything. Writing multiplayer games is HARD.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com

Pages