The long awaited Census topic!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The long awaited Census topic!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #50
You only got the last word because I didn't realize you had posted again. Otherwise, that topic would have been running for a very long time.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #51
Excuses, excuses. They are for the weak. I'll take anyone here on anytime, anywhere, for it is my duty as a Tullegolite.

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #52
Wouldn't the fact that the Middle East has always been a nexus for trade routes be a better reason for the violence there? Really, saying Jesus should be retroactively killed to prevent Middle East strife is like saying Colombus should be retroactively killed to prevent the War of 1812.

--------------------
(Retroactively replies to E.T.'s rebuttal yesterday.)
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #53
Since when is violence a prerequisite for being a trade hub? Trade hubs should be places of tolerance, and under Islam, they were. The Islamic Empires that rose after the Mongolian invasion were legendary for their tolerance of other cultures, they had to be since they were so vast. Only when the Christians came did the eternal conflict we see today start in the Middle East. Europe made it their goal to dismantle the Islamic Empires and plunge that whole area into chaos, and they succeeded.

I wouldn't kill Columbus to stop the War of 1812, but I would kill him to stop the destruction of the Native American Empires, as well as less imperial tribes, such as the Tainos.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #54
The only person I want to remove from history right now is the punk who broke the brakes on my bike.
They will eat fist if I ever find them.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Since when is violence a prerequisite for being a trade hub? Trade hubs should be places of tolerance, and under Islam, they were.
[Grimm self-censors his initial response because he has a feeling that one of the mods would do it if he didn't]

I hate to bring up the rather blatantly overlooked fact that only after the Muslims forcefully conquered the area trade routes did they have peace... because after a brutal war, they were the only show left in town...
And at that point, you weren't allowed to be anything but Muslim if you actually wanted to get inside one of the trade posts...

Oddly enough, the Middle East trade area was best kept peaceful under the rule of the Roman Empire... who was invited into the area to help solve political disputes.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin believes that JJ Thompson should not have existed.
I haven't gotten a rationale out of him yet.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #56
quote:

Excuses, excuses. They are for the weak. I'll take anyone here on anytime, anywhere, for it is my duty as a Tullegolite.
I'd be very careful saying that, Tullegolar. I won't take you up on that offer, but I know someone who will... and he's so 'good' that he is currently banned for it.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #57
quote:
Originally written by Lenar, Inc.:
quote:

Since when is violence a prerequisite for being a trade hub? Trade hubs should be places of tolerance, and under Islam, they were.
I hate to bring up the rather blatantly overlooked fact that only after the Muslims forcefully conquered the area trade routes did they have peace... because after a brutal war, they were the only show left in town...

I've highlighted the words which use negative connotations and which I find excessive. It's generally expected that, when talking about conquering some territory, it would be by force. As for a "brutal" war, how was it any more brutal than others?

By the way, just an observation. If you hear someone praising the Islamic Empire as the pinnacle of tolerance and then feel the need to correct them, then you must feel that you have a culture which better fits that example. Since you also mentioned the Roman Empire, it's probably that one. But I honestly cannot believe that someone would think that the Roman Empire was more tolerant than the Islamic Empire.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #58
Actually, the Romans were quite tolerant of religions and societies. When you have an empire that large which encompasses so many different people, you either have to force them to your culture and religion or let them keep their own. The second option tends to keep rebellion down, so they went with that one. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #59
quote:

And at that point, you weren't allowed to be anything but Muslim if you actually wanted to get inside one of the trade posts...
Wrong. The Sultans allowed everyone passage even after the crusades. After all, the only people that really wanted passage were Christian Europeans on their way to and from Asia. How else were the Empires going to pay for their war of revenge against Constantinople if they don't open the trade routes and subsequently tax them?

Also, Islam was, at one point, the most tolerant religion there was. When Mughal Empire ruled India, a nation of many religions, for hundreds of years, it was very tolerant. I'll admit that Muhammad was a violent warlord, but after his death the Islamic Empires were the most advanced centers of learning and culture in the world, except for maybe China.
quote:

Oddly enough, the Middle East trade area was best kept peaceful under the rule of the Roman Empire... who was invited into the area to help solve political disputes.
Hmm, if only Jesus never existed, that peaceful (yeah right) Roman Empire might still exist...
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I won't take you up on that offer, but I know someone who will... and he's so 'good' that he is currently banned for it.
Rue the day.

[ Monday, October 23, 2006 18:21: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #60
Eh, while the Islamic rulers of the Middle East in the Middle Ages were relatively tolerant — perhaps — they were no more peaceful than anybody else, really. Civil war was not uncommon. Oppression of minorities occurred (even if it was technically forbidden by Islamic law). Even a cursory glance at the relevant Wikipedia article shows that, much less any kind of genuinely scholarly investigation.

Being the most tolerant religion in existence in the Middle Ages did not require much.

It is definitely true that the Middle East has been the site of great wars since time immemorial, well before Jesus of Nazareth. The Romans and the Persians, the Greeks and the Persians, and the Achaeans and the Trojans, just to cite the major rivalries from classical history. Scholars of Mesopotamia could take the "massive, world-ending war" theme back several thousand years more.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #61
When was the last time that:
You showered? Last night, took a hot bath about an hour ago.
You lost your cell phone? Where? Dude. I lose it daily. Last time in my tool belt.
You lost your keys? Locked them somewhere? Keys were found on the kitchen table, under some stuff.
You cut your hair? Last week, Thursday maybe.
You overslept? I always wake up exactly when I need to. (Sunday)

Current:
Mode of transportation? Either the car or the truck.
Book you are reading? House
Model of cell phone? Nokia, the kind that will drop 6 feet and still work.
Jewelery you are wearing? Nipple ring
Game you are playing? Spider Solitare

Fav:
Cartoon? you can include cartoons that you used to like Aeon Flux (although I never understood it until I saw the movie)
Baseball team? Red Sox, but am rooting for the Tigers
Location? 50 out.
SW oldbie Alec
SW newbie? Alec

Have you ever?
Stalked someone? I've signed a gag order
Been in love? Yup
Missed TM? No, he's on AIM
Gotten lost? Not for long, but I did take a wrong turn once. The shadows clued me into the mistake.
Thrown a pie at someone? No. Precious, precious pie.

Random
First quote that pops into your head? Ask not what your country did to you, but what you could do to your country.
Name a red object in your room The book cover for a 1912 copy of Arabian Nights
Name a song that makes you sad Vincent by Don McLean
If you could remove a person from history, who would it be? I wouldn't. We all need to be here.
If you could call someone a 'best friend', who would that be? My fiancee.

Good one Mar. Thanks :)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by The Green Dragon:

sweetie
:o

I agree by the way, the thing looks weird, and every time I use it I hope it conveys the meaning the board thinks it does (blushing) as opposed to what it looks like to me (someone with high blood pressure closing his eyes and shouting).

[ Monday, October 23, 2006 21:53: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #63
You showered? Yesterday.
You lost your cell phone? Where? Half a year ago, dropped on a contruction site, it got wet, blew up and I had to buy a new one.
You lost your keys? Locked them somewhere? I never lose my keys.
You cut your hair? Three days ago.
You overslept? This morning.

Current:
Mode of transportation? Bicycle.
Book you are reading? Sinuhe the egyptian.
Model of cell phone? Nokia 1010 or some other seemingly random series of numbers beginning with 1.
Jewlery you are wearing? None.
Game you are playing? Throne of Darkness

Fav:
Cartoon? you can include cartoons that you used to like Dragon ball, Sailormoon, Jackie Chan adventures, Digimon...
Baseball team? I don't watch baseball, so I don't have one.
Location? Some cold, distant and lonely corner of the world.
SW oldbie Alorael.
SW newbie? Dunno, they all fade from my memory so quickly, or turn to oldbies...

Have you ever?
Stalked someone? Yes.
Been in love? Not really.
Missed TM? In a sick, twisted way, yes.
Gotten lost? Too many times.
Thrown a pie at someone? I wish I had.

Random
First quote that pops into your head? "To save this village from communism, we had to burn it" -some american general, whose name I don't know.
Name a red object in your room English - Finnish dictionary.
Name a song that makes you sad Viikate - Kevyesti keskellä päivää.
If you could remove a person from history, who would it be? George Bush. It'd kill two birds with one stone.
If you could call someone a 'best friend', who would that be? A-P Haavisto.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #64
You showered? This morning. Technically, yesterday morning, since it's now after midnight.
You lost your cell phone? Where? Haven't yet. Worst thing I've done to it is drop it down a flight of stairs; it still works, though.
You lost your keys? Locked them somewhere? I've locked my car keys in my car twice this year. The first time I had a spare key handy. The second time I had to call my insurance company's roadside service hotline to break into my car for me.
You cut your hair? Around the start of this year. I am perilously close to having a mullet.
You overslept? Ha. Don't talk to me about sleep. I didn't sleep at all last Sunday night.

Current:
Mode of transportation? Well, currently I'm not moving anywhere, but when I commute I use a car.
Book you are reading? Nothing but academic papers right now. Call back in a week when my thesis is finished.
Model of cell phone? LG U8360. It's not very good.
Jewlery you are wearing? Just what are you trying to imply here?
Game you are playing? If I hadn't been struck by a sudden urge to replay Might & Magic III, my thesis would be done by now. :/

Fav:
Cartoon? you can include cartoons that you used to like Neon Genesis Evangelion. And yes, I'm entirely aware that it's for wankers.
Baseball team? Congratulations. You're officially a cultural imperialist.
Location? Here. Interpret that as you will.
SW oldbie *grins smugly*
SW newbie? I hate all of you equally.

Have you ever?
Stalked someone? Yes.
Been in love? See above.
Missed TM? Yes, but only when I'm sufficiently bored to actively want the SW forums to explode in a dramastorm.
Gotten lost? My sense of direction sucks, but I keep a street directory in my car. So far I haven't become sufficiently lost that I was unable to find my place on it.
Thrown a pie at someone? Do I look like a clown to you? (Hint: the correct answer is "no".)

Random
First quote that pops into your head? "I hate you." -- W.C. Fields
Name a red object in your room Do I have to be able to see it? If not, my blood. If yes, I'll cut myself and give the same answer.
Name a song that makes you sad Puff the Magic Dragon. I first heard it when I was 5 and it still makes me cry. Yes, I am in fact as pathetic as you think I am.
If you could remove a person from history, who would it be? Immanuel Kant. He just pisses me off.
If you could call someone a 'best friend', who would that be? If you know the person, you know the answer. If you don't know the person, my answer wouldn't mean anything to you.

[ Tuesday, October 24, 2006 06:00: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #65
quote:

Does anybody else think involuntary sterilisation and/or euthanasia should be legalised?

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #66
Might and Magic III *was* a terribly good game.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I am perilously close to having a mullet.
So that photo thread was right!

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #68
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I am perilously close to having a mullet.
So that photo thread was right!

What's more is that it is RETORACTIVELY right...

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #69
ET: I stand corrected, on the first point.

Nik: See Tyran's Post.

EDIT: I FIXED IT, OKAY?

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has taken up ballet in hopes that he will find some sort of work application.
He's already found a way to rig a leotard with rapelling wire...

[ Wednesday, October 25, 2006 06:23: Message edited by: Lenar, Inc. ]

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #70
quote:

ET: I stand corrected, on the first point.

Nik: See Tyran's Post.

Gah. I shall hang my head in shame.

[ Tuesday, October 24, 2006 08:32: Message edited by: Oscar Wilde ]

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #71
Proof that God doesn't exist...

[ Tuesday, October 24, 2006 08:31: Message edited by: Oscar Wilde ]

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #72
quote:

The Silent Assassin has taken up ballet in hopes that he will find some sort of work application.
He's already found a way to rig a leotard with repelling wire...

I'll go out on a limb here and speak for every member of the boards.

We find the idea of the Silent Assassin in a leotard to be both repelling and appalling.

Now go fix your spelling before I sic Drakey on you.
:P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #73
You showered? Can't remember. I prefer baths.
You lost your cell phone? Where? Ages ago. I tend to lose it in the car, if it falls out of my pocket.
You lost your keys? Locked them somewhere? Two years ago, left my keys inside the house and the front door shut. Had to ask neighbour to let me into their garden so I could climb over into my garden so I could use the back door.
You cut your hair? 4 weeks ago, roughly.
You overslept? Yesterday morning.

Current:
Mode of transportation? Tube (i.e. underground train, sometimes known as subway in the colonies).
Book you are reading? The Dead Place, by Stephen Booth.
Model of cell phone? An old Samsung.
Jewlery you are wearing? None.
Game you are playing? Avernum 4, but struggling to get into it.

Fav:
Cartoon? you can include cartoons that you used to like The Simpsons.
Baseball team? N/A.
Location? London, England.
SW oldbie So hard to choose. Alorael is consistently amusing, but much competition.
SW newbie? Nioca seems ok...

Have you ever?
Stalked someone? No. At least, my lawyers have advised me to deny it.
Been in love? Yes.
Missed TM? Yes.
Gotten lost? Yes. (Whom exactly has never gotten lost? Surely they must have lived within a 5 mile diameter all their life.)
Thrown a pie at someone? Yes, or at least a paper plate with foam "custard" at any rate.

Random
First quote that pops into your head? "There's nothing so absurd that some philosopher hasn't said it" - Cicero.
Name a red object in your room Not sure if there are any, actually. I suppose some of the books have red dust-jackets.
Name a song that makes you sad Solitaire.
If you could remove a person from history, who would it be? Hitler, but Stalin comes a close second.
If you could call someone a 'best friend', who would that be? My best friend's name is Owen.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #74
You showered? Shower ... Does that involve having running water?
You lost your cell phone? Where? A cell phone, what's that - man, are you in the twentyeth century or what, we just got a tele phone
You lost your keys? Locked them somewhere? A couple of moths ago on holiday (appartment keys) fell from my pocket onto the sand at night (there was no light at the beach)... But i found them, don't know how, but i did.
You cut your hair? If shaving it counts then about 4 months ago, if not, then ...
You overslept? Don't get me started - at high school i was 2 minutes from school and i always came 5 minutes late

Current:
Mode of transportation? My two faithful feet.
Book you are reading? Crossword puzzles if they count
Model of cell phone? Sony Ericsson
Jewelery you are wearing? None if you don't count those things a dentist inserts in your teeth when you have caries (don't remember the english word)
Game you are playing? Civilization 3

Fav:
Cartoon? you can include cartoons that you used to like La linea
Baseball team? We actually have two teams in Slovenia, but i don't watch the game.
Location? Everywhere
SW oldbie saunders
SW newbie? I haven't been here for a very long time, so i don't know anyone, but i know we're gonna be friends, right?

Have you ever?
Stalked someone? A spider in my room
Been in love? Yes!
Missed TM? Well, since i just said to him something once, i can't really miss him, although it's nice to have someone nagging constantly.
Gotten lost? Probably, but i realised it only when i found my self again. Thrown a pie at someone? No. Sadly no. It was a cake :)

Random
First quote that pops into your head? I love you for being you!
Name a red object in your room My eyes
Name a song that makes you sad They usually make me happy
If you could remove a person from history, who would it be? First i thought George W. Bush, but then his daddy and mummy could make another one, so i'll go for his father G.B. sr
If you could call someone a 'best friend', who would that be? My love and my parents

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!

Pages