Happy Birthday to Me

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Happy Birthday to Me
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #50
It's the way of nature. Everything eats everything else. Plants eat deer, deer eat bears, bears eat alligators, and so forth.

Wait, that's not right... :D

Anyway, I only support hunting and such if it's to put food on the table, even though I couldn't do it myself. Hunting for sport, however, I consider no less then murder.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #51
Oscar:
quote:
Its death for no reason, and death for no reason is MURDER.
Wrong, murder has a number of reasons attached to it. see dictionary.com, reproduced below

–noun 1. Law. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).

note that it requires the killing of another human AND intent

Ty:
quote:
I tend to consider the satisfaction of my hunger a reason.
Plausible reason. Without dealing with hunger in some fashion death may result to the individual. Are there other choices?

Oscar:
quote:
And would other, non-meat foodstuffs satiate that hunger?
Yes, but so what. I prefer a partial meat diet over an all vegetable diet and I have yet to see a cogent argument to persuade me otherwise.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #52
Plants can be turned into food for us or food for animals that we eat, but a lot of energy is lost between plants and animals. Eating plants is more efficient.

Yes, I am aware that there are areas in which no crops can be grown and animals can be raised, but a lot of land is wasted on luxury food.

—Alorael, who thinks that's a good reason for the average diet to be vegetable-heavy with the occasional dairy or meat product. The best reason for a high-soy diet is the fact that soy is delicious in all its forms, which cannot be said for meat.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by Oscar Wilde:

As for vegetarianism, would you have a child served to you? How and why is an animal any different? And cut the crap about free will and intelligence.
Ooh, ooh, I know the answer! It's because humans, being on top of the food chain, are filled with all the chemicals that those lower in the chain have digested. Therefore, a diet consisting mainly of human is very, very unhealthy. Also, all those pesky human rights activists get really riled up about cannibalism. :(
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #54
To me, the most cogent argument is that vegetarians (and the various subcultures) labor to explain not only why they choose to stunt their growth through an inadequate diet, but why omnivores should also limit their diets. It cries of desperation, a last ditch effort to justify illogical behavior through mass delusion.

I rarely see omnivores proslytizing directly to the herbivores. ;)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #55
Explain to me how a vegetarian diet is inadequate, please. Vegetarian diets are apparently healthier than omnivorous diets, and nobody has documented mass vegetarian health problems.

[Edit: Grammar?]

—Alorael, who has also read a paper explaining that near-starvation diets increase life expectancy, so maybe stunting growth is good for you.

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 11:14: Message edited by: Bandwidth Sink ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #56
From wikibot:
quote:
Vegetarians taken broadly do not suffer malnutrition, and so must receive at least most of the protein and amino acids important to humans from eating a variety of incomplete complementary plant proteins. If ideal nutrition is possible, intake of such foods must be larger since the protein percentages in these foods are comparatively lower than in a similar serving of meat. Attaining sufficient protein intake is rarely a problem in developed countries, and vegetarianism advocates have alleged that possible lower protein intake of vegetarians may cause some of the health benefits below.

A vegetarian diet does not include fish - a major source of Omega 3, though some plant-based sources of it exist such as soy, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, canola oil and, especially, hempseed and flaxseed.

Some suggest that vegetarians have higher rates of deficiencies in those nutrients which are found in high concentrations in meat. However, studies endorsed by the ADA found that this was not the case for either iron or calcium. Vitamin B12 and zinc from vegetarian sources other than dairy products and eggs are not readily absorbed by the body and a vegan diet usually needs supplements. [15] Nonetheless, these nutrients are now commonly supplemented in milks and cereals in the western world, and are not necessarily a problem in a vegetarian diet.

By and large the reduction of diet to vegetables is not harmful, but one does have to consume more food to equal the protein available in meat and fish. Now, I understand that for some people and lifestyles that this is not an issue. I, on the other hand, consume roughly 3,500 calories a day, mostly protein and fat, and burn through all of it. Like I said in a previous post, I'm not gonna try to convince anyone that they need to add delicious healthy meat and fish to their diets. Likely they live in an area where direct selection of the living animal is impossible, reducing the choices to a sanitarily wrapped piece of flesh located behind a sneeze guard. That doesn't sound so yummy, but until one has had the opportunity to sample the real taste of real food, it doesn't serve to turn up one's nose. ;)

--------------------
quote:

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #57
Eat meat. Eat meat. Eat meat.

There is no challenge to hunting down a wild carrot in its natural habitat. None whatsoever. Its not even as difficult as hunting bear, because there you have to go through all the effort of setting up a bait station, then sitting 50m away, quietly, without a smoke, for some time before pulling the trigger and you have such a small spot to aim at.

The hardest part with a carrot hunt is choosing an appropriate pull that won't break the top off and leave the root in the ground.

Eat meat. Eat meat. Eat meat.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #58
We should all eat more insects.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #59
True that Dikiyoba. Insects are very good for you.
And, I might add, taste great when placed in a candy sucker.

;Edit: I guess the meat cake wasn't very popular.

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 12:37: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #60
Insects and alcohol, can you go wrong?

IMAGE(http://slapdummy.typepad.com/photos/food/vodkalixlollipop.jpg)

more insect candy: insect candy

yum yum :D

edit: the image is an alcohol infused scorpion encased in hard candy for pure lickable pleasure

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 12:43: Message edited by: 2bit ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #61
I think what we need here is a diet of Worms:

--------------------
Listen up brothers and sisters, come hear my desperate tale
I speak of our friends of nature, trapped in the dirt like a jail
Vegetables live in oppresion, served on our tables each night
The killing of veggies is madness, I say we take up the fight
Salads are only for murderers, cole slaw's a fascist regime
Don't think that they don't have feelings, just 'cause a radish can't scream

CHORUS:
I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream scream scream)
Watching their skins being peeled (Having their insides
revealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy (burning off calories)
How do you think that feels (bet it hurts really bad)
Carrot Juice constitutes murder (and that's a real crime)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves (let my vegetables grow)
It's time to stop all this gardening (it's as dirty as hell)
Let's call a spade a spade (is a spade is a spade...)

I saw a man eating celery, so I beat him black and blue
If he ever touches a sprout again, I'll bite him clean in two
I'm a political prisoner trapped in a windowless cage
'Cause I stopped the slaughter of turnips by killing three men in a rage
I told the judge when he sentenced me, this is my finest hour
I'd kill those farmers again just to save one more cauliflower

CHORUS

How low as people do we dare to stoop
Making young broccoli's bleed in the soup
Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes, let potted plants free
Don't mash that potato

I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream scream scream)
Watching their skins being peeled (fates in the stir fry are sealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy (you fat gourmet slob)
How do you think that feels (leave them out in the fields)
Carrot Juice constitutes murder (V8's genocide)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves (yes your compost's a grave)
It's time to stop all this gardening (take up macrame)
Let's call a spade a spade (is a spade is a spade...)

Power to the peas
Give peas a chance
All we are saying is give peas a chance

- Carrot Juice is Murder (The Arrogant Worms)
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #62
I had an apple flavored cricket sucker. It was good, but a bit too sweet for me. I have to try one of the alcohol infused ones.

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 21:36: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #63
Given the current obesity "epidemic" I think maybe requiring more bulk food per calorie could be a good thing.

—Alorael, who is not a vegetarian. He is, however, very picky about his meat, which means he often avoids eating it. He has been known to accept inconvenience and even fasting instead of meat, but that's entirely dependent on the provenance of the meat in question. McDonalds is really out of the question.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #64
Wheat is murder.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #65
quote:
Originally written by Transportion:

He is, however, very picky about his meat, which means he often avoids eating it. He has been known to accept inconvenience and even fasting instead of meat, but that's entirely dependent on the provenance of the meat in question. McDonalds is really out of the question.
I think we are on the same page, except that I expend quite a few resources to make sure there is meat available for my family. Besides fishing, I do hunt, and also contract with a farmer to provide a cow every winter.

McDonalds, et al, do lead to obesity, and likely other illness, and are out of the question. Supermarket vegetables are a rare part of my diet, as our garden provides enough to freeze and last through the spring. Lettuce and spinach were the only staples, and given the tragic lack of packaging skill I doubt we will continue in that vein. Perhaps a greenhouse will be in our future.

--------------------
quote:

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #66
It's not that McDonalds is making people obese. It's the people eating at McDonalds that is making them obese.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #67
Eh, people really need to watch what they are eating, but the fast food industry really isn't helping the situation.
McDonald's premium salads really arn't that good for you.

[ Saturday, October 21, 2006 20:23: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #68
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

McDonald's premium salads really arn't that good for you.
The demon's in the dressing. :P

Seriously.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #69
Yea dressing isn't healthy, but it sure is tasty. Yum! Ranch dressing!

How to solve obesity: Things that are bad for you should taste bad. Problem solved.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

How to solve obesity: Things that are bad for you should taste bad. Problem solved.
Sure. We just have to fix the human appetite regulation system so that a reasonable weight setpoint is more rigorously enforced, and so that people are actually capable of having enough of a good thing. Trouble is, arguing in favour of genetically modifying humans, even in principle, doesn't go over well in political circles. Believe me; I've tried. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #71
If eating disorders are indeed genetic then I have a solution. Don't regulate anything, let the people eat what they wish. If the obese don't kill themselves off first then at least they will become so unattractive that they will be unable to reproduce. Problem solved.

Regulating things like trans fats (has this been happening a lot lately?) only allows the weak to burgeon. As a Tullegolite, this displeases me greatly. Plus, I love my trans fats, they make things taste better. It makes me sad that Chicken in a Biskit will never be the same again.

Edit: It seems Nabisco spells 'biscuit' wrong on purpose. I'll never understand why companies do that.

[ Saturday, October 21, 2006 23:21: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #72
The misspelling of stuff makes it cool, and hip.
Hip is a stupid word.

I'm all for modifying humans. That's what I'm going to school for.

Yes, I was influenced by Geneforge.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #73
Modiphyin peeple is kewl an hip! As is dis poste.

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #74
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

If eating disorders are indeed genetic then I have a solution. Don't regulate anything, let the people eat what they wish. If the obese don't kill themselves off first then at least they will become so unattractive that they will be unable to reproduce. Problem solved.
And wait thousands of years for even the slightest improvements to become apparent? I'll pass.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages