Spiderweb Games.Is It Just Me?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Spiderweb Games.Is It Just Me?
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #0
Hi
I'll be honest...I have Avernum 1&2..All three Geneforge games...I've played all the Baldurs Gate Neverwinter nights stuff but for me i always stick with Jeff's games.....I don't know if it's because i'm getting really ancient(60) or what but i get so bored with all the big budget titles....Lately it's been Fable..near the end of the game and it's like so what?...Some timed sneak puzzles to drag the game out but the gameplay of every big budget title i've ever tried eventually get's boring....

In fact i'm ready to buy Avernum 3 or 4 now.. :rolleyes:

[ Monday, September 25, 2006 10:20: Message edited by: Fenwik ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
It's almost as if they're running out of original ideas. Which isn't suprising, frankly.

And hard-core Spiderweb fans come in all ages. I'm proof, as I am at the younger end of said spectrum.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
Well, you could say that Jeff seems to be running out of ideas, given that A3 and A4 have such a similar plot. But they have different gameplay from each other, which is what Fenwik seems to care about. (You could always buy Nethergate instead of A3 or A4 though.)

And Dikiyoba doesn't think that Nioca counts as proof if Nioca's birthday is hidden. :P
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
It's not quite fair to accuse Jeff of running out of plots. Between the plot of Exile 3 and the plot of Avernum 4 he created four Blades scenarios (most of which are panned, but none of which are E3/A3/A4), Nethergate (brilliant), and three Geneforges.

—Alorael, who thinks everyone has their bad plot days, especially when the game isn't especially about plot.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #4
Hi
I didn't think about Nethergate...Maybe i'll try that..
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Alorael
—Alorael, who thinks everyone has their bad plot days
I'll second that. I remember a few years ago when I started thinking up a plot for BoE. Which wasn't so bad, except that it envolved M.I.M.Es. Thankfully, the feeling passed.

[ Monday, September 25, 2006 17:10: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I'll second that. I remember a few years ago when I started thinking up a plot for BoE. Which wasn't so bad, except that it envolved M.I.M.Es.
I hope you don't mean the "I'm the only one who can see this box" type...

It would make writing dialogue easier, though...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
It would be like writing dialogue for the cows and giant lizards.

"This is a mime. It seems to be trapped in an invisible box. Despite your best efforts, all your attempts to hold a conversation with it come to naught."

Dikiyoba.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
I think a plot involving mimes wouldnt be that bad, so long as I got to kill or at least injure them.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #9
One could create a creature script that makes the subject mimic another character, much like the Mime class in the nintendo-based FF series.

But that could easily get irritating.

--------------------
Upon reading the current turn of this thread, I joked with the Silent Assassin about mimes.
I am obligated to report under threat of air-hole closure that he has since encased myself and my pc in a rigged glass box.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

"This is a mime. It seems to be trapped in an invisible box. Despite your best efforts, all your attempts to hold a conversation with it come to naught."
I am hereby stealing this idea, and having a dungeon in my scenario filled with mimes.

And I'm deadly serious.

Fenwick, Nethergate might be a better purchase than A3 or A4, but don't just take our word for it. Try out the demo. :)

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 02:53: Message edited by: This Charming Man xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #11
Some of the more recent NWN modules have been great, particularly the newer premium modules. I only recently discovered Hordes of the Underdark and Pirates of the Sword Coast. They definitely take the game engine farther than it perhaps was meant to go.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
M.I.M.E stands for Magical Intelligent Modified Entity. In other words, it's a familiar with no master.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

M.I.M.E stands for Magical Intelligent Modified Entity. In other words, it's a familiar with no master.
The non-speaking guys are funnier, therefore they are what you meant :P

NWN always seemed a bit... I don't know. I never liked it. And I once tried to play Baldaurs Gate 2 (I think....) on the PS2, and just didn't like it. Maybe it's a knee-jerk reaction to having characters that actually move.

That said, Final Fantasy always manages to capture my interest.

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #14
Looking back on a couple of previous posts, I realized that something I said could be taken the wrong way. To clarify, when I said they're running out of original ideas, I was NOT talking about Jeff or Spiderweb Software. I was talking about the big budget titles.

I have been a fan of Jeff's work for quite a while now. I have the whole Avernum series (except A1), the whole Geneforge series, BoA, and Nethergate. His games are some of the best out there.

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 06:41: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
While we're having this love-in, GF4 is looking very good to me, and remarkably fresh for a fourth installment. I'm pretty sure Jeff won't sue me over breaking non-disclosure to say that.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #16
Hi
I forgot to mention I have Blades Of Avernum but never finished the first scenario.....
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Fenwik:

Hi
I forgot to mention I have Blades Of Avernum but never finished the first scenario.....

Don't. Play the user-created ones instead.

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #18
"Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2" for PS2 is very separate and distinct from "Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn" for the PC. The latter is a much more RPG-oriented game, and IMO, much much better.

That said, of all the Infinity Engine games, I enjoyed Icewind Dale 2 the most.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #19
I have been meaning to try Icewind Dale for some time. I am rather amazed at them running out of plots. There are thousands of different fantasy novels out there. I guess they are afraid if they use a fantasy novel for a plot they will lose a lot of money.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Movies and books make terrible subjects for games without heavy, heavy editing. That includes plot. Especially plot.

I'm a big fan of BG2, although I'm also somewhat intimidated by its size. I think I've seen only about a quarter of it while playing. Icewind Dale never quite captured my attention in the same way, and as soon as I have a way to play it I intend to get a copy of Planescape: Torment.

—Alorael, who is also greatly enjoying GF4. It makes him want to go register the previous Geneforges just to understand what's going on better.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

"Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2" for PS2 is very separate and distinct from "Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn" for the PC. The latter is a much more RPG-oriented game, and IMO, much much better.

Dark Alliance 2 was alright, but the first one was definitely better. As for the Infinity Engine, ID2 was the most polished, but you'll get that with the 5th game made for the engine. :P Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal Expansion has the best plot, IMHO. I must say that I have enjoyed every Bioware Forgotten Realms RPG to some extent though.

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 15:33: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Dark Alliance 2 was alright, but the first one was definitely better. As for the Infinity Engine, ID2 was the most polished, but you'll get that with the 5th game made for the engine. :P Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal Expansion has the best plot, IMHO. I must say that I have enjoyed every Bioware Forgotten Realms RPG to some extent though.

I started with BG-SoA, managed to stop caring when my notebook got completely filled with stuff I needed to remember. Cheated out the rest of it until a PC upgrade made the game unplayable. This means my ToB expansion is still in the shrink wrap. Sad. I liked the game, and if I had less other things to do, I might try playing it again. Having shelled out a Jackson for BoE, I'm likely to be busy for a while....

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.