Introducing Leopard

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Introducing Leopard
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
Inspired by tyranicus's topic about installing an emulator to be able to run Mac OS 9 on your Intel Mac, Here is a topic about Apple's latest addition to the Mac OS X family: mac OS 10.5. It will be out in spring 2007.

What can I say? I'm overexcited, since I have seen some of the new features of Leopard. The best one is Timemachine: an automatic utility that backs up your whole computer (that's true, your whole computer: system files, apps, everything). You then can restore your computer to a certain date when something goes wrong. That means that if your hard drive dies, you just buy a new hard drive, and you copy all the files, ready to start computing from the point you were yesterday.

However, the best thing is that you can recover files, not only a complete hard drive. For more about that, I refer you to the WWDC video: here. Just wind on until you come to approximately 35 minutes, and watch the show (though I'm not sure if it were 35 minutes, it could also have been around the 40 minutes. Just see for yourself).

For the rest, look at the sneak peak, if the video wasn't enough: here. After that, discuss, and tell us if you are as excited about it as I am. But please, don't start a Mac - PC war. If you have nothing nice to say, just say nothing, okay?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

What can I say? I'm overexcited, since I have seen some of the new features of Leopard. The best one is Timemachine: an automatic utility that backs up your whole computer (that's true, your whole computer: system files, apps, everything). You then can restore your computer to a certain date when something goes wrong. That means that if your hard drive dies, you just buy a new hard drive, and you copy all the files, ready to start computing from the point you were yesterday.
Seeing as this is a new thing for you Mac users, I'd like to take this opportunity to crush you. That feature will be used approximately seven times. It sounds great the way you put it, but then you realize that all those backup files take up massive amounts of space and take forever to actually write. And then there's the fact that with a Mac, you'll need to restore your system even less. And if you want to have the sort of security that you're talking about, you'd have to set this thing to make a new backup every day.

The only time restoring my system didn't put me even farther back than when I started was when I tried to update my graphics card and it shrunk the screen so that there was a black bar on the side.

[ Tuesday, August 08, 2006 08:45: Message edited by: This text ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Um, wait a minute, do you think that I like the concept? Well, yeah, I do like it, but what i find most amazing, is how Apple made it. How the program looks like, the eyecandy, if that's what you want to call it. I know that it has been used, of course it has been used! And its not a new thing for Mac users, just a new thing implemented to Mac OS X.

And you evidently didn't get the point. A back up is made automatically when a thing is saved. That means, that when you save your file, a duplicate is made. Of course it doesn't do it only on a specific time! and of course it doesn't do the whole damn thing, that would indeed take ages! I suggest you first read about it, and then you start arguing. It saves us both trouble.

EDIT: And yes, the amount of disk space needed was the first thing that came up in my mind, but then to be honest, hardrives of the computers nowadays are so large, that you probably won't be able to fill it up, unless you download a lot of crap.

[ Tuesday, August 08, 2006 09:00: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #3
Oh, I wasn't trying to argue. I was trying to crush you. From your post, I got the impression that this was a new feature. I don't know where I could have gotten that idea. :rolleyes: And yes, I suppose I did miss the point; for some reason, my mind separated the subjects of your post into two things, divided at the break between the second and third paragraphs. Selectively restoring files sounds much better than complete system restores.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #4
I believe that you need a separate external HD for Time Machine to work properly.

And Spaces looked the most useful to me.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
I really wonder what Apple is going to do when they run out of cat species. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #6
"Nothing"

--------------------
The Silent Assassin, oddly enough, has no comment.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
At least they can get a three-for-one deal with the mountain lion/puma/cougar.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
At least they can get a three-for-one deal with the mountain lion/puma/cougar.

Dikiyoba.

Not to mention panther. :P Of course, they've already used panther and puma, but they still have 2 to go.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #9
My guess is time machine would use advanced compression algorithms and look for duplicates or near matches to minimize the problem. I would also guess that the user could allocate a certain amount of memory to the application so that it does not consume the entire disk space of the computer.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
I think it will probably work okay just because disks are so huge these days. In normal family use for about 5 years, with digital photos and music, we have not yet had any space troubles with our 30GB drive on our old iMac flat panel 700 MHz. And today I think you'd have to pay extra to get a new desktop with under 250 GB. At the rate we buy new computers, our disk space seems likely to grow faster than our volume of data forever.

Keep in mind that the system will presumably not be keeping multiple copies of unchanged files, just one copy of each different version and a record of when changes occurred. The way most people work, that will take a fair bit less space than duplicating the hard drive every day.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #11
I'm not enthused about it - it just means that they'll start limiting their support for 10.3.x, and so on and so forth, which I think is a perfectly fine OS. Shelling out another $100+ bucks for features I won't use is aggravating.

How about Mac OS 10.X Catamount?
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

And today I think you'd have to pay extra to get a new desktop with under 250 GB.
Actually, the smallest standard hard drives these days are around 60 GB. I think Mac users tend to use less disk space than Windows users, simply because Mac users don't have all those games that take up several GB on their own. Personally, I have a 120 GB hard drive, split between OSX (26 GB), Fedora (25 GB), and XP (60 GB), and I would say that I have about 25 GB of total free space.

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 07:59: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
I've used up approximately 200 gigabytes on my laptop's hard disk and my external hard disk. A great deal of this is due to three separate backup copies of my previous computer, may it rest in peace. Strangely enough, I haven't backed up my laptop yet. Maybe I should work on that.

—Alorael, who can't actually wish his old computer a peaceful retirement because it's not retired. True, it's main duties have become web browsing and solitaire with the occasional word processing or spreadsheet document, but that Cube has had a remarkably long and stable lifespan.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
Computers seem mainly useful for communicating with distant people that you would otherwise never meet and entering into mundane arguments with the same. If the new OS allows for those arguments to not be lost during a crash, there is a minute chance that the argument will not be repeated. If so, I'm all for it. Otherwise, my opinion would be that the computer industry has fallen into disrepair, and lacking any new technological innovations has decided that they can instead use flash and glitter to sell fashion rather than substance.

It's neither art nor furniture, it's just a glorified typewriter/telephone/DM. OMG! It's just a glorified secretary! Sigh.

SoT? could you bring back your questions on hypothesis on time flow?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

The best one is Timemachine: an automatic utility that backs up your whole computer (that's true, your whole computer: system files, apps, everything). You then can restore your computer to a certain date when something goes wrong. That means that if your hard drive dies, you just buy a new hard drive, and you copy all the files, ready to start computing from the point you were yesterday.
Oh my God! A system backup utility! How ingenuous. Now if only they could come up with a sequel to Warcraft.

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 10:52: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #16
I am sure that Apple thought about space optimization when they wrote Time Machine. I believe that they must have either used compression for the backup or dynamic code. I doubt it would use that much harddisk space. In addition, in repsonse to an earlier post, Time Machine has two functions:
1. To help with complete system backups, and
2. To constantly backup new saved versions of files; If you accidentally save over an old file, you can "go back in time" and retrieve it.

More exciting for me is CoreAnimation. This just may be a hint that Apple is working on developing more 3D things. Of course, one of my greatest hopes is the developement of 3D software to rival M$'s DX10.

Also, Dashcode will be lots of fun ;)

--------------------
Un ronron ronchonne, un ronfleur ronfle.
Un rongeur ronge, un roi règne, une orange roule.
Ça c'est la réalité.
Mais si le ronchon ronge, le ronfleur ronchonne,
Le roi roule, le rongeur règne
Et l'orange ronfle,
Ça c'est une autre histoire.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #17
Time Machine sounds like System Restore, which has been being useless to us Windows users for years now.

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 22:22: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Apprentice
Member # 6503
Profile #18
It seems as though the way Time Machine works has been misconstrued a bit here. First off, you're going to need an external HD for it to work. Secondly, I believe it would do everybody good to read up and watch the video before they make uneducated comments.

Time Machine
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by MidniteNightingale:

It seems as though the way Time Machine works has been misconstrued a bit here. First off, you're going to need an external HD for it to work.
Well, I'd have assumed so. I mean, if your HD blows up, having a backup of every file on the same disk won't do much good. :P

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 23:26: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #20
I don't know - I would have used it the two times I accidentally deleted my BoE scenario!

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
What you'd want in that case would be an undelete utility, not a backup utility. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
Time Machine is an undelete utility.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
A create ficticious scenario utility would be nice as well.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #24
Wow... I thought this would end up being a Mac-PC war. Maybe it did help when i said not to do that, or there are less people here who are inclined to start earlier mentioned war.

No! Timemachine is not like system restore (and that's one of the points of why i like it :P ). Sure, it shares the functioon of restoring your HD, but for the rest its different. You too, if you didn't do it yet, read what apple says about it.

For the others, I would think we had enough discussions about Timemachine. How about the other new abilities and apps of 10.5?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!

Pages