Introducing Leopard

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Introducing Leopard
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #25
Like I said before, I think Spaces is the most useful and time-saving of all of the changes. 10.3 brought along a host of changes and I still like Exposé and use it all the time - Spaces seems like a step up.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #26
Personally, I can't wait to give DashCode a whirl. Also, using Spotlight to search network computers sounds great.

[ Thursday, August 10, 2006 07:46: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 6268
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by MidniteNightingale:

It seems as though the way Time Machine works has been misconstrued a bit here. First off, you're going to need an external HD for it to work. Secondly, I believe it would do everybody good to read up and watch the video before they make uneducated comments.

Time Machine

quote:
Set it, then forget it
The first time you attach an external drive to a Mac running Mac OS X Leopard, Time Machine asks if you’d like to back up to that drive. Set up the drive and Time Machine takes care of everything else, automatically, in the background, so you can get on with your digital life.

Back up everything
Right from the start, Time Machine in Mac OS X Leopard makes a complete backup of all the files on your system. That includes your system files, applications, accounts, preferences, music, photos, movies, documents — everything you keep on your Mac. As you make changes, Time Machine only backs up what changes, all the while maintaining a comprehensive layout of your system. That way, Time Machine minimizes the space required on your backup device. Since backups are stored on your device by date, you can browse through your entire system as it appeared on any date. And that’s what makes Time Machine different from any backup application you’ve ever tried.

Go back in time
With Time Machine, you can restore your whole system from any past backups and peruse the past with ease. Can’t find a file you want? Enter Time Machine’s time-based browser to see a snapshot of how your entire system looked on any given day — file by file. When you find the file you want, just select it and restore it. Time Machine brings it into the present. You can do the same with a group of files, whole folders, even your entire system. With a single click.
Actually it only says you need an external hardrive for backing up, not restoring deleted files by "going back in time". In addition, if you watched WWDC 2006, you will notice there is no external harddrive attatched to the iMac used.

--------------------
Un ronron ronchonne, un ronfleur ronfle.
Un rongeur ronge, un roi règne, une orange roule.
Ça c'est la réalité.
Mais si le ronchon ronge, le ronfleur ronchonne,
Le roi roule, le rongeur règne
Et l'orange ronfle,
Ça c'est une autre histoire.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Othello:

In addition, if you watched WWDC 2006, you will notice there is no external harddrive attatched to the iMac used.
Actually, there was. What did you think the orange icon on the desktop was? :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #29
Time machine seems like a great way to deal with all the lost files created by using Windows on a MAC computer. Depending upon how frequently it copies information it will keep you from losing too much when the blue screen of death appears and the file you are working on is lost forever. My chief gripe with Microsoft was their word processor lacked the automatic backup features that other ones had years before I got my computer.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Time machine seems like a great way to deal with all the lost files created by using Windows on a MAC computer. Depending upon how frequently it copies information it will keep you from losing too much when the blue screen of death appears and the file you are working on is lost forever. My chief gripe with Microsoft was their word processor lacked the automatic backup features that other ones had years before I got my computer.
TimeMachine won't run in Windows though. It might backup files on the Windows partition, but only while running MacOS, so no help for the screen of death blues. :P

Also, since Office 2000, Microsoft Word has had a document recovery feature.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Time machine seems like a great way to deal with all the lost files created by using Windows on a MAC computer.
"Mac" is not an acronym. Why do you insist on capitalising every letter?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
It seems reasonable to give some kind of distinguishing mark to the difference between Mac the computer and Mac the operating system now that the two are no longer inextricably linked. That's just a kind of funny mark.

—Alorael, who can also see a kind of Mac/PC balance. If one is a capitalized acronym, the other one really deserves caps too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
The operating system mostly just goes by OS X now anyway. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages