Starting Charcoal

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Starting Charcoal
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #0
Does anyone here have difficulty starting charcoal for barbeques? If you do barbeque, what is your preferred method of starting the fire? What are your thoughts on lighter fluid, gasoline, presoaked briquets, wax and sawdust fire starters, newspaper tower starters, etc.?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
I find a flamethrower works great and you don't have to worry about using too much lighter fluid. Of course you have to practice to get just the BBQ.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #2
I prefer a gas grill myself. Nice and efficient.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #3
Well generally if I'm using charcoal and am having trouble lighting it I just squirt some lighter fluid on and give it another go. If its windy I'll try to keep the wind off of it until it gets going. I just use matches, I'm not so sure about using gasoline in a grill, sounds like a recipe for injuries. Newspaper makes an awful nasty smoke (I suppose if it all burned off before you started cooking....) But yeah, it can be a pain.

As for my preferred method of cooking, some people swear by hickory and other things to flavor the meat, I just have a gas grill.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

I prefer a gas grill myself. Nice and efficient.
Agreed.

EDIT: Don't even think about the saying the shrimp joke. Anyone.

[ Friday, July 21, 2006 20:36: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
What shrimp joke?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #6
Gas grills seem to be the way to go. I tend to stay away from all those extras; a bit of lighter fluid should do the trick. You really don't need the other things you mentioned.

Hickory is pretty good, by the way, as is applewood...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
I have one of those heating rods that you plug in and it gets hot and starts to glow.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #8
I use a George Foreman grill. Much easier to clean up.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #9
For start the fire, the better solution for me is use the "Accendina". I don't know how I can traslate it in English; it is a cube that can burn for many minutes before melt. With this "ethernal fire", the wood is easy to burn.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

EDIT: Don't even think about the saying the shrimp joke. Anyone.
No worries, mate.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

I use a George Foreman grill.
Sereously those things are amazing. No-one even cares about the guys boxing career. Everyone just knows him from the grills.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Does anyone here have difficulty starting charcoal for barbeques? If you do barbeque, what is your preferred method of starting the fire? What are your thoughts on lighter fluid, gasoline, presoaked briquets, wax and sawdust fire starters, newspaper tower starters, etc.?
Can't say I've ever had trouble with that. I lay out the coals (nothing special, just regular charcoal) in a pryamid like formation, drench them in lighter fluid, let it soak for a minute or so and light them. I usually just start it with one of those conventional grill lighters you buy at the grocery store.

After that, wait for the flames to die out and then place the meat on the grill. Place the cover on to help maintain heat, but make sure the holes are open so the coals can get enough oxygen.

If you have trouble, the most likely candidate would be the charcoal itself. Make sure it's stored in a cool, dry place. Excessive moisture is not good for it. Otherwise, try purchasing your charcoal from a different store as it is not inconceivable that the place you bought it from does not handle it appropriately.

Have fun and don't burn down the world!

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by *i:

...don't burn down the world!
Spoilsport :(

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #14
In the past year or two, it has been easy to start the fire because I had the sawdust and wax starters. They make more smoke than an unmuffled 18-wheeler. However, they haven't failed to start a fire yet. They even work great for camping in case you cannot get the boyscout techniques to work.

However, in past years sometimes the charcoal was quite damp from the bag being open too long. The worst time was during a family reunion where everybody was waiting for some food for almost an hour.

Now, after running out of the aforementioned starters, I played around with different ideas and finally came up with a seemingly foolproof way to do it from now on. Considering that I built the contraption myself in a few minutes, I think it is original. I may post up some more info on it after I get some breakfast.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #15
I have a gas grill myself that has an electronic ignition thingy to light it. Works nicely.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #16
Used gas and charcoal extensively. Hardwood charcoal (not briquettes) = teh win.

When I fire up my Big Green Egg, I use little fire-starters packs, the sterno things you light and forget. Used several brands. They're fantastic.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #17
I am peeved because I cannot go out into my little garden and patio area: I have ground nesting bees. They make having a barbeque difficult, and most people do not like being invited to gatherings where they get stung repeatedly.

This is the first time I have seen them in such numbers before, and though they are cute because they are so small, they still pack a small stinger. I am killing them off, one by one.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #18
If I were you, I'd hire an exterminator.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.