Dan Brown Book...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Dan Brown Book...
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #0
What do you think about all the critics around the Dan Brown's book (I know the name in Italian but not in English, sorry :P )?

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
Never read The Da Vinci Code. Before it got big I read his earlier book Angels & Demons which was intensely silly: set in the present day, but it turns out that the Europeans are about a hundred years ahead of the US scientifically. This is only a surprise because the notoriously parochial American media has not bothered to report spaceplanes and antimatter. Yet when a terrible plot with deep roots in European history emerges, those brilliant European scientists call in a Harvard professor. It's a good thing they do, though, because the secrets of the Illuminati turn out to be typographical tricks with English words. Did I forget to mention it all happens in a papal election?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #2
I thought I had a case against Jesus being married and having a child to Mary Magdalene, but found out that I got confused with a different Mary. So very close though, would of been good to point out that she was married and had a fwe kids to someone else.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #3
I liked it. The movie just came out. Why haven't I seen it?

The Da Vinci Code is fiction.

FICTION.

It's meticulously researched and largely without fantasy (ie very realistically possible) but it's just a book. Is Dan Brown's assessment true -- that this revalation is "shaking the very foundations of mankind?"

I don't see why every religious zealot has to get his punishing chains in a bunch over a book. I mean, you don't see people pissing and moaning about the bible near as much as about The Da Vinci Code. And it didn't even get a movie.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #4
IMAGE(http://www.britishcouncil.org/arts-fiction-239x251.jpg)

For God's sake, it says so on the damn spine.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #5
My mother's bf and I have this thing where we buy certain books, and then we read them together and talk about it.The Da Vince code happens to be one of those book, and after making him read last book I feel as if I owed him. And I will be watching the movie, but that's only because I'm not paying for it, and there aren’t that many good movies playing.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Never read The Da Vinci Code. Before it got big I read his earlier book Angels & Demons which was intensely silly: set in the present day, but it turns out that the Europeans are about a hundred years ahead of the US scientifically. This is only a surprise because the notoriously parochial American media has not bothered to report spaceplanes and antimatter. Yet when a terrible plot with deep roots in European history emerges, those brilliant European scientists call in a Harvard professor. It's a good thing they do, though, because the secrets of the Illuminati turn out to be typographical tricks with English words. Did I forget to mention it all happens in a papal election?
Talking about that, is it even theoretically possible to make a suitcase-sized anti-matter container? From what I understand you need keep the particles cycling in a particle-accelerator-like containment ring several hundred meters in diameter to keep them from touching the walls, so just slapping a couple of magnets into a capsule's walls isn't going to do it.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
With strong enough magnetic fields you could have your antimatter whirling very fast in very small loops, but I don't know enough about the process to think of a way to make such a suitcase that could be moved without bashing the suitcase into the antimatter and causing a mess.

—Alorael, who is waiting for one more post. Just one more!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

The Da Vinci Code is fiction.

FICTION.

No one is arguing with this.

quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

It's meticulously researched and largely without fantasy (ie very realistically possible)...
This is what people are arguing with.

[ Thursday, May 25, 2006 12:21: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
Dikiyoba hasn't read the book, hasn't seen the movie, and doesn't really plan on doing either.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Talking about that, is it even theoretically possible to make a suitcase-sized anti-matter container? From what I understand you need keep the particles cycling in a particle-accelerator-like containment ring several hundred meters in diameter to keep them from touching the walls, so just slapping a couple of magnets into a capsule's walls isn't going to do it.

CERN wrote a detailed response to the book, rebutting pretty much every single point in A&D. Antimatter is not an energy source (and not even an efficient energy storage at this point, unlike Hydrogen). It cannot be produced in more than a few atoms at a time, and all antimatter ever produced at CERN could power a lightbulb for a few minutes. And so on.

I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code as a mixture of alternate history and historical fiction. I enjoyed Angels and Demons slightly less as science-fiction trying desperately to sound accurate. I liked Digital Fortress a lot less partly because of its Clancy-ish US nationalism and partly because I know more about computers than about physics, so the technical stuff sounded even more like BS than in Angels and Demons.

By the time I read Deception Point, I was somewhat deadened to the nationalism, so it irked me less. Also, I know absolutely nothing about astrophysics or marine biology, so it was easier to suspend disbelief. Still, I wouldn't have read it if I hadn't bought all four books at once. Which I regret - I should have stopped reading after Angels and Demons, when it was still passable.

[ Thursday, May 25, 2006 13:39: Message edited by: Henry Anthony Wilcox ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #11
I read Digital Fortress. Absolutely everything that could be wrong, was wrong.

I saw the DVC movie, and thought it was almost entirely made of plot holes strung together. I don't know as much ancient history as I do cryptography, but what I did know was (unsurprising) pretty wrong.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #12
Dan Brown only knows how to write four characters- the intelligent heroine, the humble hero, the hired assassain, and the oh-dear-you'd-never-expect-them-to-be-a-traitor traitor. Seriously. In every stinking book, that's it (haven't read Deception Point).

That said, Da Vinci Code is exciting if poorly researched.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #13
I haven't read it, but I can't imagine that it's any better than those Left Behind books, and no non-believers I'm aware of ever made a stink about those. People just need to cool out about this crap - it's fiction, fiction, fiction. That they feel threatened says a lot about the state of their own belief.

Reminds me a lot of what happened when The Satanic Verses came out. We're about two steps shy of our very own Christian fatwah here, folks! How sad it is.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
They are also scared by Harry Potter, which says even more.

.. .

I just deleted most of what I wrote, as it was probably offensive to some deeply religious SW'ers. So ditto to the fiction comment, and to each their own. Long live capitalism.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Quite frankly, someone is always going to be offended by something, regardless of how deserving that thing is of offense.

Dikiyoba.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Indifferent Salmon:

I'd say it's more accurate to say people are offended by DVC than scared of it. But, yeah, people are scared of Harry Potter. Honestly, some people seem to have a near paranoia of anything that smells even vaguely of witchcraft or magic.

My favourite "crazy complaint" story remains the time when asked where I went for advice, I jokingly replied "My magic eight ball". We got two phone calls and a very formally worded letter over that (I think that's the most complaints we've ever gotten over one thing, too). People seriously thought I was involved in some sort of eight ball-oriented pagan practices.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #17
What confounds me and my friends is why anyone would care if Jesus had a child (=the entire point of the Da Vinci Code?). But I guess we're just too paganic and wicked to understand the issue.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #18
Jesus was God. God interbreeding with humans presents all kinds of bizarre theological issues.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

I haven't read it, but I can't imagine that it's any better than those Left Behind books, and no non-believers I'm aware of ever made a stink about those.
slacktivist.typepad.com - although run by an evangelical - makes a pretty good case for making a stink about them.

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:
Originally written by Indifferent Salmon:

I'd say it's more accurate to say people are offended by DVC than scared of it. But, yeah, people are scared of Harry Potter. Honestly, some people seem to have a near paranoia of anything that smells even vaguely of witchcraft or magic.

My favourite "crazy complaint" story remains the time when asked where I went for advice, I jokingly replied "My magic eight ball". We got two phone calls and a very formally worded letter over that (I think that's the most complaints we've ever gotten over one thing, too). People seriously thought I was involved in some sort of eight ball-oriented pagan practices.

Does it ever unsettle you a little being a member of a community that is, by and large, that damn stupid? :P

[ Thursday, May 25, 2006 17:40: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #20
Three people != By and large

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

I haven't read it, but I can't imagine that it's any better than those Left Behind books, and no non-believers I'm aware of ever made a stink about those. People just need to cool out about this crap - it's fiction, fiction, fiction. That they feel threatened says a lot about the state of their own belief.

Reminds me a lot of what happened when The Satanic Verses came out. We're about two steps shy of our very own Christian fatwah here, folks! How sad it is.

The reason underthings are in bunches over the DVC isn't so much the content of the book as the way people have responded. People actually read this thing, proceed to nod sagely, say that "it really makes you think," and swear up and down that it is based on well-researched history. The furor seems more over the DVC qua rallying-cry for ignorant catholicism-bashers (who take it as more than fiction) than the DVC qua work of fiction.

Michael Crichton and Dan Brown make a living off of writing books that people holding irrational, ignorant opinions can cite as vindication of their idiocy. (State of Fear, anyone?)
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

Does it ever unsettle you a little being a member of a community that is, by and large, that damn stupid? :P
Occasionally. But then I think to myself, at least I'm not an American.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

God interbreeding with humans presents all kinds of bizarre theological issues.
God + Mary = Jesus
Jesus + Some other chick = all kinds of bizzare theological issues.

Anyone else see any inconsistency here?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
The existence of Jesus doesn't contradict Ash's statement about bizarre theological issues. If anything it confirms it! Jesus, taken to be the son of God, absolutely presents lots of bizarre theological issues.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages