Dan Brown Book...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Dan Brown Book...
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #25
I'll read it one day. One day = before I see the movie.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #26
Slarty got it pretty good. It's not like the whole Jesus thing was a non-event. Adding thousands more Jesuses (Jeses? Jesii?) isn't a trivial thing for theology to accomodate. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
Incidentally, Angels and Demons touches on the virgin birth as divinel IVF. Now I'm just looking for evidence of Mary being conceived in a sterile area, or at least an exceptionally clean and probably disinfected room, and we've got immaculate conception too!

—Alorael, who believes the plural of Jesus is Jeez. Yes, you thought it was just a way to avoid taking the name of God in vain, but it's much more multifarious than that.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #28
I was going to write an essay about the various things that are supposed to be shocking or revelatory in Brown's book, but frankly it is a badly written mess of plot holes and does not merit serious criticism.
It will only shock people who find it an appalling waste of paper or those who have a very shaky understanding of the doctrines it is supposed to be attacking.
All the bases of the "research" on which it is supposed to be based (Rennes le Chateau, Beranger Sauniere, Pierre Plantard, the Priory of Sion, and so on) have been shown to be unsound: see Wikipedia for pointers.
I enjoy thrillers when the writer has out as much effort into writing them as he expects me to put into reading them, but this one is pure tosh.

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by saunders:

...pure tosh.
Further proof that Saunders is seventy kinds of awesome.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
All the bases of the "research" on which it is supposed to be based (Rennes le Chateau, Beranger Sauniere, Pierre Plantard, the Priory of Sion, and so on) have been shown to be unsound: see Wikipedia for pointers.
The painting of The Last Supper, where it shows Mary Magdalene next to Jesus, she was one of two that showed up at His tomb after three days and therefore an angel gave her a message to deliver. One of her many mentions in the bible in regards to Jesus. The thought of Mary and Jesus married seems to be completely unfound and on shaky grounds as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #31
The correct plural form of Jesus is "Jesus" - much like the plural of moose is moose - and the correct term for a group of Jesus is a "theocracy," as in: "Look out! That theocracy of Jesus is bearing down on us!"

[ Friday, May 26, 2006 04:14: Message edited by: Drew ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #32
I recommend going back to the Greek, and using the very sensible plural of "Christoi."

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Cairo Jim:

The painting of The Last Supper, where it shows Mary Magdalene next to Jesus, ...
Why do you say that the figure to the right of Jesus is Mary Magdalene? It is not the only clean shaven figure, neither are long flowing locks uncommon on the bearded men. There are 12 figures other then Jesus and 12 diciples reported at the Last Supper in the Bible. Common sense says that it is one of the twelve.

Even if it was intended by da Vinci to be Mary, It looks as though the grey guy is being much more 'friendly' to her then Jesus.

I have not read the book or seen the movie. I think it may be interesting to read the book, but all the rotten tomatos for the movie make me not want to watch it.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #34
I hate to point out the blatantly obvious, but that painting that is being used as evidence of some sexual relationship between JC and MM is not historically relevent. daVinci was a cool guy, with a wealth of ideas, but he wasn't a fantastic or prolific artist and he certainly wasn't present at the last supper. Frankly, I doubt he even knew anyone at the last supper.

He was a very well connected man, and his work has occasionally generated controvesy because that is what he intended. His patrons may have wanted to make an unpopular point, and his art was the method. I wonder if the work of Pablo, or Salvador, will provide some center to a yet to be written work. Or perhaps it will be discovered that The Scream contains the clues to the assassination of JFK...

The truth is out there.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

quote:
Originally written by Cairo Jim:

The painting of The Last Supper, where it shows Mary Magdalene next to Jesus, ...
Why do you say that the figure to the right of Jesus is Mary Magdalene? It is not the only clean shaven figure, neither are long flowing locks uncommon on the bearded men.

Traditionally, the figure in question is believed to be the apostle John (the one who wrote the gospel).
John's practically leaning on Christ comes from a reference in John 13, which literally said that the apostle that Jesus loved (philos, or brotherly love, for those who get the wrong idea) was positioned to lean on Jesus during passover. This is a common theme/setting in many protraits of the last supper. Da Vinci's is simply the most popular.
On a side note, resting on someone's chest was not an uncommon occurance, as the meal would have been consumed while the participants were in a reclining position. Many scholars agree (or at least in the lectures that I've been in) that in order for John to talk to Jesus, it would probably be easiest to simply lean over, planting him in the other's chest.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin went to a seminar today.
His favorite speaker's topic?
"The Lint Brush: little known uses."

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Springer Bell:

I'll read it one day. One day = before I see the movie.
How wrong I was. I'm going to see the movie in a couple of hours. :P

EDIT: Wow. Awesome movie. Can't compare it to the book, as I've not read it, but if it is better than the movie... :eek:

[ Saturday, May 27, 2006 02:29: Message edited by: Springfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Research Facilites:

Traditionally, the figure in question is believed to be the apostle John (the one who wrote the gospel).
John's practically leaning on Christ comes from a reference in John 13, which literally said that the apostle that Jesus loved (philos, or brotherly love, for those who get the wrong idea) was positioned to lean on Jesus during passover. This is a common theme/setting in many protraits of the last supper. Da Vinci's is simply the most popular.
On a side note, resting on someone's chest was not an uncommon occurance, as the meal would have been consumed while the participants were in a reclining position. Many scholars agree (or at least in the lectures that I've been in) that in order for John to talk to Jesus, it would probably be easiest to simply lean over, planting him in the other's chest.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin went to a seminar today.
His favorite speaker's topic?
"The Lint Brush: little known uses."

Except that no figure is leaning on Jesus in da Vinci's painting.

As far as I can tell, this is the original artwork. There are so many reproductions, though. Please correct me if I am wrong.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by 84,000 Stupas:

I recommend going back to the Greek, and using the very sensible plural of "Christoi."
Yeah, but what other plural in English goes back to that ending? I suppose we could just as easily go with "Christs," but that's just not as fun.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #39
quote:

Except that no figure is leaning on Jesus in da Vinci's painting.

As far as I can tell, this is the original artwork. There are so many reproductions, though. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Strange. I don't remember it this way... But it seems original... Uhmm...

:confused:

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

quote:
Originally written by 84,000 Stupas:

Yeah, but what other plural in English goes back to that ending? I suppose we could just as easily go with "Christs," but that's just not as fun.

I was kidding, but since you asked... mythoi. :)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #41
quote:

Hmm.
I appear to stand corrected.
I will admit that it has been a while (could just be that I have that one image transfer" thing from the movie trailer stuck in my head or something).

But the point remains that the figure is assumed to be John.
And, okay, the second part about leaning being a theme is still true, just irrelevant here. Oh well.

Thanks for pointing that out.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin tried his hand at cooking dinner recently.
I may never eat tuna again.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #42
When in doubt, Wiki.

*Sorry, we do not permit this HTML tag:Parenthesis in HTML tag*

Remove space.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Supper_ (Leonardo)

Very informative.

[ Saturday, May 27, 2006 19:24: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #43
The DaVinci Code is a great read and it really makes you think. The fact that just about every fact in the book is hokey, based on rumors and false research, or plain old made-up additionally means it really shouldn't be that offensive to the Papacy either. There are many interesting, non-threatening insights in the book, like the discussion of phi and Venus' trajectory, that are crazygonuts awesome to ponder, and plus, it's just fun to read as a book. Funny that the movie got such horrible reviews. I kinda liked it.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'

Pages