Question 3: Disease

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Question 3: Disease
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #0
How do we control and deal with the spread of deadly epidemics in a highly connected global society?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Sacrifice goats and burn chickens in garbage bags.

... on second thought, scratch that. I'm quickly going to be outclassed in my medical knowledge (I'm no crazy pre-med student), but I'll try anyway. Ahem.

We can't stop it, obviously. Unless we do for every disease what was done for smallpox (and then some), it's really only a matter of time until something breaks through our control.

As for stalling the spread of disease, it'd be nice to see medical checks for international travel. It could just mean people would have to visit a physician before getting to the airport/seaport/bus station. Of course, that'd be much easier for some countries to pull off than for others. Australia would probably be an easy place to do this, while India would be virtually impossible.

It'd also be nice to see wide-spread vaccinations for the diseases with low mutation rates.

EDIT: Point clarified.

[ Thursday, May 04, 2006 15:07: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 5886
Profile #2
Given the toll that such a pandemic might take on the world, as one of its richest nations, we should be investing in biomedical research. I'm not sure what exactly the goal of that would be...perhaps on new ways to produce vaccines in large amounts cheaply and quickly. Unfortunately, there is no way to prepare this vaccine ahead of time, as we don't know the exact form of the virus.

Quarantine plans would also be nice.

--------------------
We don't make the white chalky excrement that splats down and ruins your car's paint job. We make it stronger.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
So, do you want us to answer for right now, or for in a couple of decades when we are all basking in tropical diseases thanks to global warming?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #4
Just have bunches of vaccines ready to be made so when a epidemic happens we just have to get a sample then quickly finish the vaccines. So we could be ready when the epidemic hits us.

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Horribly oversimplified, but one step would be to require that people get vaccinated for the diseases that there are already vaccinations for. There's no reason for outbreaks of mumps and other "defeated" illnesses.

Dikiyoba.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by *i:

How do we control and deal with the spread of deadly epidemics in a highly connected global society?
Pray.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

Pray.
That energy is currently being diverted elsewhere.

(Only click that link if you want your brain to explode)

[ Friday, May 05, 2006 09:49: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Well, if you don't believe in evolution, there is very little problem. I just heard an interesting talk about avian flu the other day, and the fact is that avian flu has only been encountered in two forms so far: one that is highly contagious but can only infect birds, and one that is not at all contagious but can affect humans. Both forms are very deadly, but humans don't have anything to worry about unless the "highly contagious" trait mixes with the "can affect humans" trait.

Without evolution, that's impossible, so creationists — intelligent designists — have nothing to worry about.

As far as dealing with disease in general, prevention is usually cheaper and easier than curing, so we should probably focus on that when we can. Also, environmental factors (air and water quality, for two) play a role in physical disorders, so we should do what we can about that. But "disease" is about as huge a topic as "the global economy," so it's hard to give more specific answers without a more specific question.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Major:

Just have bunches of vaccines ready to be made so when a epidemic happens we just have to get a sample then quickly finish the vaccines. So we could be ready when the epidemic hits us.
That works only if you know what the next epidemic is before it's epidemic, which isn't how the world works. It also assumes a vaccine can be made, which isn't always possible.

Besides hauling money out of choice and worthless biodefense grants and putting it back into realistic medicine, there's not much that can be done on the research front. Again, we don't know what to study until it's too late. Still, more research into obvious disaster possibilities would be nice.

Quarantine simply isn't going to work in this day and age. I thought about it, and I have far more faith in human selfish ingenuity than human obstructive ingenuity.

—Alorael, who doesn't think anyone with any education, including creationists, denies microevolution. It has been documented over and over and over, it can be reproduced in the lab, and the Bible says nothing about the immutability of species.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 3438
Profile #10
Given a limited supply of vaccines, supply prophylactic treatment to those with the most to contribute, i.e. western and east asian countries. Everyone else, well, the world could deal with a few million fewer people. Sorry Im in a bad mood tonight
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, if you don't believe in evolution, there is very little problem. I just heard an interesting talk about avian flu the other day, and the fact is that avian flu has only been encountered in two forms so far: one that is highly contagious but can only infect birds, and one that is not at all contagious but can affect humans. Both forms are very deadly, but humans don't have anything to worry about unless the "highly contagious" trait mixes with the "can affect humans" trait.

Without evolution, that's impossible, so creationists — intelligent designists — have nothing to worry about.

This is a strawman on at least two levels.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
Good to know.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
Ah, simple-minded kel. Creationists believe in microevolution.

That means that we, the noble and mighty Homo Blancus, did not descend from apes of darker complexion and savage mannerisms, but that we can also be slaughtered wholesale by malicious, Asian viruses, so we had better put our faith in god today!

As for diseases: Not all diseases can be stopped, but proper hygiene and nutrition can stave off much of the spread. The lethal ones should be researched as to develop cures/vaccines as soon as possible. Any other arguments I leave to the scientists.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Evolve. Similarly to what happened in Europe following bubonic and smallpox epidemics.

Oh, and make sure to keep a written record of all the stuff you think people would need to know if it turns out you aren't that resistant.

Edit - I added a tag after reading Kel-Ash-Kel.

[ Thursday, May 04, 2006 20:35: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #15
In part this issue is directly related to the previous. Disease is most likely to spread in areas of poverty, low education, and low sanitation. Now this does not guarantee prevention, far from it; however, having a stable economy can stop it from spreading.

Beyond that, the first world needs to take a proactive role in developing biotech, identifying threats, and synthesizing vaccines when a threat seems likely for mass distribution.

Right now the biggest problem is the response time is horribly slow. It takes too long to get things out and there is no real motivation. Corporations could be given incentives for production, but they would be easy to abuse.

It is by no means an easy problem, but if there were a more centralized structure to deal with it (like the UN, but actually effective) then we may be able to stand a chance.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #16
Like the poverty, I think the causes of diseases come from low igenic situations and low education, as *i said.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

(Only click that link if you want to see how truly idiotic people in the vicinity of D.C. are)
Care to qualify that? I'm certain people are just as bright 'round where you live, pal.

EDIT: As for the actual issue, I would argue we're certainly way more prepared now than the folks were during the Middle Ages for the plagues. For one, the practice of washing one's hands is more or less ubiquitous in society, and that makes an enormous difference. Also, knowledge and information are key. These days, it seems the spread of an epidemic is limited as soon as knowledge about it becomes available. For example, when SARS broke out a few years ago, it was largely limited to China and Southeast Asia, and mainly because those areas probably were not well informed for one reason or another.

[ Friday, May 05, 2006 04:01: Message edited by: Drew ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
Jesus. Everyone here is so defensive.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Djuran Orb v. Arancaytog:

Jesus. Everyone here is so defensive.
Defensive comment.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #20
You're gonna have to explain that one to me, Infernal.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #21
That comment was made in a defensive manner.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Die. Similarly to what happened in Europe during bubonic and smallpox epidemics.
As everyone here so loves to say, FYT.

Actually, of course, JS's original was quite right: after the epidemics, European society changed dramatically, and the process was probably a pretty close societal analog to speciation. But just to be clear, this episode of accelerated social evolution was not some kind of successful countermeasure to epidemic. It was a partial and eventual consequence of the epidemic running its course in full force, and horribly killing a large fraction of the population. There's nothing like a devastating plague to turn a settled continent into a new frontier, with lots of job opportunities for everyone left.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

(Only click that link if you want to see how truly idiotic people in the vicinity of D.C. are)
Care to qualify that? I'm certain people are just as bright 'round where you live, pal.

Fair enough. I still think that D.C. is full of idiots, bureaucrats, and corruption.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #24
Triple "idiots, corruption, and bureaucrats", and you might have something close to the truth.

--------------------
Polaris

Pages