NBA Playoffs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: NBA Playoffs
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #0
Anyone been watching these lately? I've been getting sick of all these intelligent topics. Sorta curious as to how high the interest level is on these boards.

I'll open the discussion with this -

Your team will LOSE to the Dallas Mavericks, it is inevitable.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
I've been indifferent towards the NBA for little under 10 years now. :P

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
I like to think that I have a very strong stance on the NBA playoffs. My stance is thus:

Why do the playoffs have to interrupt MLB games? Seriously, I'm getting sick of being beaten to my dorm's TV by NBA fans.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
NB what? Perhaps you mean the NHL playoffs, which are of course superior to the NBA or MLB. I mean please non-contact sports pfff.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

NB what? Perhaps you mean the NHL playoffs, which are of course superior to the NBA or MLB. I mean please non-contact sports pfff.
100% agreement here.

Football, rugby, american football and hockey are the best sports invented by man.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I like to think that I have a very strong stance on the NBA playoffs. My stance is thus:

Why do the playoffs have to interrupt MLB games? Seriously, I'm getting sick of being beaten to my dorm's TV by NBA fans.

No, why does the MLB have to be on and monopolize sportscenter? Once you've seen one MLB highlight reel, you've seen them all. Although I will agree that the NBA playoffs are stretched out over an obscene amount of time.

I love the NBA playoffs. Best basketball around (e ven if the NCAA tournament is a much better format, the basketball is just plain better at the pro level).

Wizards all the way, baby! (Until they lose.)

[ Wednesday, May 03, 2006 14:27: Message edited by: PoD person ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
The problem that I have with the NBA is that there are no real "teams" anymore. The prevailing strategy is to hand the pro the ball and he will score. There's little full team interaction anymore.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by *i:

The problem that I have with the NBA is that there are no real "teams" anymore. The prevailing strategy is to hand the pro the ball and he will score. There's little full team interaction anymore.
I repeat my comment:

"Football, rugby, american football and hockey are the best sports invented by man."

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by Mysterious Man:

quote:
Your team will LOSE to the Dallas Mavericks, it is inevitable.
But what if Dikiyoba's team just happened to be the Dallas Mavericks? What would happen then?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #9
I thought the NBA had folded. Seriously, do they still play that game? That's sad.

:P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
I occasionally watch tennis, but I couldn't tell you who's good, who's bad, or even who's playing. That's the extent of my attention paid to sports at any level.

—Alorael, who would watch Calvinball games if he could find a channel that had them.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #11
Star power can only carry your team so far. When you look at the recent champions you see complete teams, the Spurs and the Pistons. Both play hard defense and get good ball movement (two things that require a team effort.)

My team, the Heat, seems to be trying to splice the two together. Everyone on the roster has a heap of talent, but it doesn't seem to be working out as well as last year, which was a team starring Wade, and complimented by role-players.

Edit - (In case it wasn't obvious, this would be replying to the comments that basketball on a pro level isn't as much a team effort. Also I'll throw in that I enjoy the NBA, but will take the NFL any day.)

[ Wednesday, May 03, 2006 14:54: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
The Bandon Bandits Calvinball team is pretty decent, but I've never known one of their games to make it past the first inning.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
I've been indifferent towards the NBA for little under 19 years now. :P

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #14
As a really, really short guy, I detest basketball and american football and refuse to watch them unless I am forced to.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
I've been keeping rather close track of the MLB this year, but not the NBA. If I had a few good TV channels, that might be different, though. Obviously the Blazers are unlikely to go anywhere.

--------------------
-ben4808
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Originally by Ur-Noob:

quote:
Obviously the Blazers are unlikely to go anywhere.
Do you mean that they are unlikely to win or unlikely to leave? Or both?

Dikiyoba.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
Professional sports teams really are just parasites on society, if you think about it. That they actually get communities to shell out millions of dollars to build stadiums for them to make money in is pretty galling, in my opinion. But as Tiberius said, "panem et circenses..."

(I for one have been happy about the upswing in relatively thoughtful conversations.)
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #18
Watching Baseball on TV just about puts me to sleep. Although, I like watching NASCAR... go figure.

And *i, tell me who the superstar on the Detroit Pistons is, the team that had the best record in the entire league.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Mysterious Man:

Watching Baseball on TV just about puts me to sleep. Although, I like watching NASCAR... go figure.
o dixieland u

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #20
That is why they had the best record.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #21
*I
quote:

Uh, the Spurs, The Pistons, The Suns - three of the best TEAMS in b-ball, also with three of the best RECORDS in b-ball.

by VCH
quote:

You watch b-ball? You play b-ball? It is a contact sport (check the Pistons for proof).

Hockey, yes - superior to Skribbane.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
The Wizards/Bullets are my favorite team, but my local team, the Nets, are looking better right now.

I'd say college basketball is much more fun to watch than the NBA. Players actually play defense, the games actually mean something, and so much heart and grit is on display. Plus, you see more systems. Four-guard sets and ridiculous zones and presses are not unusual anymore, whereas in the NBA only a handful of coaches would dare to play a zone.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Ishak ben Yonannon:

—Alorael, who would watch Calvinball games if he could find a channel that had them.
I think the real problem is that the cameramen would get sucked into the game before the third squash of the first wicket. But it would be an awesome eighth inning to watch.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #24
I can't imagine an organized league for playing Calvinball. Once when I was young I had the idea to try to play a game like this, with no rules, and complete insanity. The result was rampant cheating and thoroughly unenjoyable. It would work great if I had an imaginary friend that wasn't so uppity and headstrong.

(For some reason it hadn't occurred to me what Alorael was alluding to until I read your post Ephesos.)

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?

Pages