What style of graphics would you like to see in Avernum 5?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What style of graphics would you like to see in Avernum 5?
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #25
modified quote:

...the Exile trilogy's graphics BETTER than a4's ? Are you people all clinically retarded?

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #26
JV did promise that A5 would have a different type of premise than A1-4 did. No more save-the-world-from-the-supervillians. Still, I can't see anything beyond A5.

And since I never got any of the Geneforges, and so don't mind recycled graphics...

A4 > A1-BoA > E1-BoE

--------------------
(Dodges barrage of rotten fruit.)
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #27
I agree that A4 utilizes much more advanced graphical engine and is more modern. However, the best graphical engine in the world is useless if you don't have the graphics to put into it. Exile and Avernum series and BoE/BoA have a large number of graphics made by professional and amature artists. Avernum 4 doesn't. And it shows.

My opinion on the graphics is that their primary purpose is to tell me what objects they represent and to provide the atmosphere for the game. A4 graphics fail in that respect. Drakons don't look like Sliths and Shapers don't look like Avernum adventurers. Big circles on the ground don't look like traps. (At least not the kind of traps used in RPGs/DnD.) The captain of the guards shouldn't have a bucket of white paint dumped on him. (Or whoever dumped that bucket of paint would be in a lot of pain. :) ) And so on.

A4 could have the best graphics of any Spidweb game if Jeff hired several professional artists. Since he can't afford that, I'd prefer to see Spidweb games with an engine whose graphics Jeff can afford. Either Avernum or Exile style graphics are fine for me and while I personally prefer Exile-style graphics, it looks like majority prefers Avernum.

[ Friday, April 28, 2006 14:05: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #28
I was recently depressed to find out that a friend of mine who is an art major offered the provide art for spiderweb, even just donating it, since he is only a student. They didn't tell him that his art wasn't the type or style they were looking for; they told him they don't need any art. Period. Insane or what?

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #29
Avernum Trilogy Graphics Obviosly.

--------------------
I hate you all
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Bomber:

Obviosly.
I usually don't ask rhetorical questions, only to get legitimate responses.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #31
You kill the goblin --More--
The nephil hits you
########
# @n+
# ####
# $ #
#####

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

JV did promise that A5 would have a different type of premise than A1-4 did. No more save-the-world-from-the-supervillians. Still, I can't see anything beyond A5.
Hmmm... save-the-world-from-the-superheros perhaps?

*imagines finally playing a vahnatai group*

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 7050
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

I was recently depressed to find out that a friend of mine who is an art major offered the provide art for spiderweb, even just donating it, since he is only a student. They didn't tell him that his art wasn't the type or style they were looking for; they told him they don't need any art. Period. Insane or what?
At least they got back to him... I never got a reply when I offered my services.

=Divals

--------------------
thousands are sailing
the same self the only self

self willed the peril of a thousand fates

a line of infinite ends finite finishing
the one remains oblique and pure

arching to the single point of
consciousness

find yourself
starting back
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #34
Jeff has said time and time again, he never takes art, storylines, etc. from fans. He doesn't want the potential lawsuit.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:

Jeff has said time and time again, he never takes art, storylines, etc. from fans. He doesn't want the potential lawsuit.
That shouldn't stop him from buying the art for a one-time payment of 1$.

And by the way, according to his webpage, he is still looking for artists. :) http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/come_aboard.html

[ Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:24: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #36
He added the improved chitrach graphics that someone here posted to A4, didn't he?

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #37
Yes, though that was probably because of the huge outcry about clawbug chitrachs. I suspect that right now he'd prefer to have Linda make A5 graphics, as that's much cheaper and leads to uniformity. As we approach the release date (still far in the future, of course), he may find that there are certain things missing and try to find outside art, but I'm sure he'd like to avoid it for as long as he can.

That said, I'd be happy to try my hand at more Avernum graphics. ;)

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #38
While I can't make the graphics (tried blender a bit but killed myself on it), I'm sure there are loads of spidwebbers that can. If they made a collection of graphics to put into the games, and then posted them here, the whole forum can "outcry" about them. JV will take the graphics, he's proved that by taking the Chitrach' graphics.

So please just make the graphics anyway, and then we can all work together to find a way to get JV to put them into Av5. We can't do anything of the sort without any graphics.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #39
Ok, that sounds fun. I've got a lot of free time coming up in a week or so, so I'd actually be able to work on such stuff. Any graphics that the community would be especially interested in?

Oh, and if expense is an issue, I'd certainly be happy to provide anything I make quite cheaply. This is still a hobby, not a profession, though credits and completed work could be quite useful in the future. Plus, the honor of improving one of these games is worth a lot to me. I still smile when I encounter my chitrachs in A4 (except when they're eating me, of course).

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #40
Taking some nice fan-made graphics on the odd rare and isolated occasion is one thing; systematically filling out Spiderweb graphics with donated art is another. If it doesn't look good and contribute significantly to the games, it's not worth doing. If it does, at some point people are bound to start feeling funny that only Jeff is getting paid for the games. If by then people have come to expect a lot of nice donated graphics in his games, Jeff is in trouble. So I don't expect he wants to start down that road.

I do think the Chitrachs have worked out very well, so perhaps we may see more one-off contributed bits like this. But I don't think donated graphics can ever expand much beyond that.

[ Monday, May 08, 2006 14:43: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #41
I think this would work on a strictly Jeff-asks Jeff-recieves basis. He asks for one or two nephil graphics, say, we provide, done.

But, then again, I can't speak for the man himself. Whaddya say, JV?

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.

Pages